Canon emulator

Started by scrax, April 08, 2019, 10:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

After plaing all day with qemu, was thinking about it and got one curiousity,

canon dev's have some sort of emulator too?

Or better

usually when a firmware is done how it is developed? they test it on real hardware or they use an emulator, or both? Also i think they have special dev boards maybe?

Another silly idea that came into my mind was if, at least in theory, could be possible to use qemu on (don't know, maybe a rasperry) to simuate canon software and use a module for the camera and a keyboard (maybe modded with just the needed buttons) to control it? For some camera qemu can take pic? Is it right?

EDIT: Last... (for now)
What about this: https://github.com/limboemu/limbo a port of qemu for android if I understood right. Anybody have already tried it for ML?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

calle2010

As far as I understand the ARM CPU emulation is the smallest problem since it is provided by Qemu. All the custom or very specific chips around it are the difficult ones. You'd have to emulate them on the RaspPi as well. And then you'd have to do it in hardware or catch the hardware accesses which is at least as difficult as it is in Qemu.

E. g. the buttons are not directly connected to a GPIO of the main CPU but to the MPU as far as I understand.

For sure it would be a fun project, e g. with a cheap camera module to "simulate" a real camera. But I don't see value for the actual reverse engineering.

scrax

Quote from: calle2010 on April 09, 2019, 06:24:40 AM
As far as I understand the ARM CPU emulation is the smallest problem since it is provided by Qemu. All the custom or very specific chips around it are the difficult ones. You'd have to emulate them on the RaspPi as well. And then you'd have to do it in hardware or catch the hardware accesses which is at least as difficult as it is in Qemu.

E. g. the buttons are not directly connected to a GPIO of the main CPU but to the MPU as far as I understand.

For sure it would be a fun project, e g. with a cheap camera module to "simulate" a real camera. But I don't see value for the actual reverse engineering.
yes the idea dosen't have any pratical use, just for fun.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-