50D users: how are you getting on?

Started by garry23, August 27, 2012, 11:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

I hope it is ok to ask how are 50D users getting on with 2.3, especially bramping?

Cheers

Garry

plarguinho

I'm doing fine with mine. Video is a great plus on my 50D since I use it as a backup with my 5D Mk.II.

qaanaaq

Everything fine, stack focus and fps control very nice.
wondering if playback in camera could not ever work?

weldr

I'm a newbie here and a newbie with ML. Got it on my 50 d yesterday...took a lot of doing. Now I haven't a clue how I'm 'getting along'. Will keep plugging away and try to figure it all out. Right now I'm going thru the forum looking for anything that says 50d.   weldr

garry23

Weldr

I can assure you that not only does ML work on the 50D, but that you will be able to things you couldn't before. My main/only use of ML is to give me full bracketing control for subsequent HDR processing. I also use the WB setting in ML.

I also have a Promote Remote to extend my bracketing. But ML allows me to leave this at home and travel light.

The bracketing in ML is also different to the Promote as ML has a killer feature: the auto bracket mode.

If you need any 50D specific help please don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers

Garry

50D24fps?

For the Canon 50D + Magic Lantern 2.3 (using the newest non-alpha, non-beta, non-experimental-may-brick-your-camera release as of October 31st, 2012) users out there: the documentation is ambiguous about recording 1080p @ 24fps (23.97 or whatever the going standard is).  The documentation says 1080p @ 30fps is possible for the 50D, but also doesn't say that the frame-rate override doesn't work for the 50D.  So my question is this: has anyone used the 50D--at 24fps--without any problems?  I would like to record audio (separately, of course) and have everything sync properly. 

If anyone has experience with this, please share! 

I used the anniversary edition of ML on my 50D, and could never get 24fps to work properly.  I also found the anniversary version to be less stable during operation (on my 50D) than the version preceding the anniversary edition.  However, the formal release that came before the anniversary edition was quite AMAZING!  I was able to record some amazing DSLR video @ 30fps & 1080p.  I never would have gotten to do so without ML.  (THANKS for all of your hard work, ML crew!)  To anyone who responds to this: THANK YOU, too.

ilguercio

Quote from: 50D24fps? on November 01, 2012, 01:10:36 AM
For the Canon 50D + Magic Lantern 2.3 (using the newest non-alpha, non-beta, non-experimental-may-brick-your-camera release as of October 31st, 2012) users out there: the documentation is ambiguous about recording 1080p @ 24fps (23.97 or whatever the going standard is).  The documentation says 1080p @ 30fps is possible for the 50D, but also doesn't say that the frame-rate override doesn't work for the 50D.  So my question is this: has anyone used the 50D--at 24fps--without any problems?  I would like to record audio (separately, of course) and have everything sync properly. 

If anyone has experience with this, please share! 

I used the anniversary edition of ML on my 50D, and could never get 24fps to work properly.  I also found the anniversary version to be less stable during operation (on my 50D) than the version preceding the anniversary edition.  However, the formal release that came before the anniversary edition was quite AMAZING!  I was able to record some amazing DSLR video @ 30fps & 1080p.  I never would have gotten to do so without ML.  (THANKS for all of your hard work, ML crew!)  To anyone who responds to this: THANK YOU, too.
Share your findings then, if you say video and audio don't sync properly just tell the devs what you've discovered.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

garry23

50D24fps?

Can not seem to reply to your PM.

I'm afraid I don't do video, although I do timelapse.

I proved to myself that ML does allow me to record video on the 50D, but that was it: one test video.

Sorry I can't help.

Cheers

Garry

Quote from: 50D24fps? on November 01, 2012, 07:36:28 AM
Hi Garry23!  I was wondering if you had been successful in using the latest v2.3 of Magic Lantern to record 1080 24P video with your 50D.  If you don't do video, no worries.  But if you have experience with this particular combination of camera and frame rate (23.97 fps in progressive), please do share.

Thanks

ilguercio

I just recorded 24 minutes of video at 24 fps and it looks dead precise to me.
I filmed the online stopwatch, matching the initial frame with the starting of the clock.
Are you aware of the fact that you can have precise 24 fps or with a bit of tolerance according to the shutter speeds you need?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

50D24fps?

Quote from: garry23 on November 01, 2012, 03:18:11 PM
50D24fps?

Can not seem to reply to your PM.

I'm afraid I don't do video, although I do timelapse.

I proved to myself that ML does allow me to record video on the 50D, but that was it: one test video.

Sorry I can't help.

Cheers

Garry

Hey Gary!  Thanks so much for your time.  I had "let others email me" set to "off" for some reason.  I think that's why the PM didn't go through.  I just switched the setting to "on".  Thanks for your efforts and reply.  No worries that you don't shoot video; I figured since you started the thread, I'd go straight to the source!  I've recorded video with the 50D in a previous version of Magic Lantern--I'm just wondering if I can do "cinematic 24p" successfully with the latest port of ML.  Again, I appreciate your words!  Have a good day.

50D24fps?

Quote from: ilguercio on November 01, 2012, 03:47:21 PM
I just recorded 24 minutes of video at 24 fps and it looks dead precise to me.
I filmed the online stopwatch, matching the initial frame with the starting of the clock.
Are you aware of the fact that you can have precise 24 fps or with a bit of tolerance according to the shutter speeds you need?
Hey ilguercio...thanks for the reply and test!  It is much appreciated.  What I'm looking for an answer to--I don't know if this was entirely clear or not--was whether or not the new ML can make the 50D reliably record progressive video at 23.976 fps (referred to as 23.98 fps).  I'm using the NTSC system for my projects, and am trying to figure out if I can use ML and a 50D to record at NTSC standard 24p, which is actually 23.976FPS in progressive capture.

ilguercio

http://www.g3gg0.de/projects/EOSTimerGen/TimerGen.exe
Try to change the settings with this.
Anyway, Timer A 686 / Timer B 1751 is one choice for obtaining 23.976 fps.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

50D24fps?

Quote from: ilguercio on November 01, 2012, 07:37:15 PM
http://www.g3gg0.de/projects/EOSTimerGen/TimerGen.exe
Try to change the settings with this.
Anyway, Timer A 686 / Timer B 1751 is one choice for obtaining 23.976 fps.
Hi!  Thank you very much for the information.  I will check this out, and get back to you all with my findings when I've had a chance to make some time to conduct thorough tests.
Many thanks, ilguercio.

P337

huh, I was wondering this too.  Thanks 50D24fps? lol

ilguercio

Anyway, i don't understand what were his problems since he didn't explain them properly.
FPS override works, for fps values not immediately available you can use g3gg0's tool ot play with A and B values until you get what you want.
There's no sense talking about the 2011 Xmas release, we are on 2.3 now and there was already a lot of work done after that.
I hope you understand this.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.