[SOLVED] Focus Stacking still can't operate with 5D2

Started by sanfairyanne, August 27, 2012, 11:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanfairyanne

I found this great video for explaining how to set up the 60D for focus stacking. For some reason the plus and minus keys on my camera don't do anything to the Focus End Point. Nothing I do changes this from saying Focus End Point: 0 (here)

Any ideas ?

http://vidaru.com/how-to-use-magic-lantern-stack-focus-tool/66922644

a1ex

sanfairyanne

I just realised that, yes indeed the AF was switched off :o

How silly of me. I'm just trying to widen the steps, i.e. I can see the focussing ring moving extremely small increments - probably ideal for macro - but I wish to use focus stacking for landscape.

I'll keep playing.

a1ex

With focus step size = 3 it should be what you need.

sanfairyanne

Yes step 3 helps, but I think I'm right in saying that ML can only work the 5D2 from the central focussing point to infinity. That's probably ok for macro but not for landscape.

Any ideas ?

sanfairyanne

I've just photographed a TV remote control with a Canon 100mm macro lens. Because I believe I'm forced to start at the central point of focus (the central of 9 focus points on my camera)  I had to start mid way up the TV Remote. I chose 70 focus point + steps and shot at miniscule  1 (one) steps right from the middle to the end of the T.V Remote. Once done I then chose 70 focus points - steps (minus steps) again at 1 (one) steps again from the central point but this time to the nearest point of focus, or the bottom of the TV remote.
The files were then chucked into Helicon Focus whereupon after a short while it spat out a perfect image.

I do wonder if I'm going about it the right way though. I don't seem to be able to use the other 8 focussing points on the 5D2 only the central one so any composition can only be shot from the centre to infinity unless doing the - (minus) focus steps.

Am I going about this the right way ?

Many thanks.

a1ex

Stack focus has nothing to do with AF points, just focus wherever you want.

sanfairyanne

Thanks I've since figured it out, I just assumed ML needed those focus points as it seemed to get a bit screwy earlier today. All is good now though, immensely happy.