Linking smartphone Dual-Pixel autofocus to DSLR

Started by theBilalFakhouri, March 25, 2019, 10:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theBilalFakhouri

Got an idea if there anyway to use autofocus informations from smartphone sensor with a dual pixel autofocus to control focusing automatically (Transfer smartphone sensor data) on a DSLR . What should I call it?
Automatic follow focus or Using smartphone phone sensor as external autofocus device.

Is that possible (Disabling autofocus data from the DSLR sensor and use the data from smartphone sensor to measure the focusing distance changing)? So where to start?

That's will be huge for using smartphone as external monitor and dual pixel autofocus device  :D .

a1ex

You "only" need a few things:
- a way to measure distances with good precision (say +/- 10mm, maybe even better for very wide apertures); I doubt a dual-pixel smartphone can do this, but didn't try;
- a way to set the camera to desired focus distance (doable, but requires calibration and clever math, as Canon's encoders use very large steps)
- even so, the focusing process will be open-loop, so I wouldn't bet on its reliability.

I've got this sensor to try something similar (AF in very dark and/or unpredictable scenes) but... didn't power it on yet. Could be interesting to find out whether there's a market for such gadgets.

Why not just getting a camera with dual pixel AF? I've been documenting their internals during the past few months (and, to a lesser extent, years) to the point where porting ML became a relatively easy coding task (though, still a bit time-consuming).