Guessing 1st April for 2019 - Share your thoughts

Started by theBilalFakhouri, March 25, 2019, 09:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theBilalFakhouri

As some of you know 1st April is the a1ex day for tricking our minds for mind blowing things then we know it's true .

Okay 1st April for this year (2019) I guess will happen the followings:

1- Arbitrary resolutions for DIGIC 5 and maybe one cam from DIGIC 4 which is 5D2.
2- Better up-scaling algorithm for 1x3?
3- Full port for one of new cameras like 80D or 5D4 .
4- Better adtg_gui which can work beside other modules like crop_rec.
5- More stable sd_uhs? or a better performance.

6- None all of these, please try again next year or go to do these f***ing things yourself.

1 & 3 very likely to happen.

Your guesses now?

nikfreak

• something qemu related  like Liveview / Movie
  • Eeko processing (dualiso, noise, blending ...)
  • sd_uhs
  • unifying of crop_rec / lua / 70D / 100D and other branches
  • maybe some fake news like nikfreak has been banned or we can do 8k 8bit recording on 1300D and such ;D
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Luther

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on March 25, 2019, 09:13:04 PM
4- Better adtg_gui which can work beside other modules like crop_rec.

ADTG as default ISO and gets integrated with Dual_ISO and HDR. That would be nice.
Most likely to happen:

Quote6- None all of these, please try again next year or go to do these f***ing things yourself.

dfort

The year in review.

April 1, 2018 - 4K raw video

Do it yourself -- go ahead I dare you.

Masterclass on Photobombing

Well that last one wasn't actually ML news but almost anything can happen on April 1.

Kharak

I don't know what to expect next, all I do know is that I cant start making any movies until a1ex releases 8k 60 p for the 5D3.. then i will finally have a capable camera to produce stories with
once you go raw you never go back

scrax

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

yokashin

70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

Kharak

I'm building my house, any april 1st download links for 5D3 ? :D

Its a brick house.
once you go raw you never go back

theBilalFakhouri

Should I brick my camera to test unbrick service value?  :P

Come here @OlRivrRat and bring your dead 70D and make a contact with https://www.unbrick.io/ I heard it's a good service  :D

Really interesting thing , Users can trust ML now , I remember when I was afraid to install ML on my camera for the first time after a week from buying it.

Good Step forward!

dfort

Cool -- I got one for you.

Guess which camera. (Danne knows the answer.)

ASSERT: !IS_ERROR(semErr)
at ./EekoApp/Color/WB/LV/LvWbAlgorWrap.c:522, CLR_CALC:ff418e54
lv:1 mode:3

CLR_CALC stack: 187f60 [1880d0-1840d0]
0xUNKNOWN  @ bba0:1880c8
0xUNKNOWN  @ 16aac:1880a0
0x000167A4 @ ff0f9c10:188088
0xUNKNOWN  @ 167d4:188078
0xUNKNOWN  @ 1685c:188058
0xFF418908 @ ff276a20:188040
0x00001900 @ ff418e50:187f98
0x0007EF78 @ 7f280:187f60

theBilalFakhouri

After Clicking on the Picture, you have you named it 700D crash so it's 700D.

How this crash happened? Testing new features  :D

a1ex

One of the numbers in the above log points to "ClrCalc_GetWbGain". Must be something in LiveView, likely interference from crop_rec or raw video recording.

A totally different thing is when your camera no longer boots. In both cases, Canon firmware may print ERR70 on the screen, but they are really not the same.

Alright, so Bilal was mostly right with his initial guess. There were two things I've announced today:

M50 port

Yes, it's real. I've got one a few weeks ago, in order to jump-start the DIGIC 6/7/8 development. At least the GUI code is going to be identical, for all other new models. Hello World is already working, or expected to work, on all new models (from 80D to EOS R).

Unbricking service

Yes, it's not a joke either. Lately I've learned quite a bit around Canon internals (in particular, UART, ROM reflashing and other similar low-level stuff), and I've got quite a few requests (privately) to help diagnosing cameras. Some were successful, others not. One of the screenshots comes from Danne's EOS M, not yet solved, but still working on it.

I'm pretty sure service technicians, or regular people having trouble with their camera, will find my knowledge useful. Or, even if you have no problems now, I believe it's still useful for your peace of mind - should anything happen to your camera, I'll be able to look into it (and hopefully tell whether your problem was caused by ML, or it's faulty hardware). The portable ROM dumper is going to be the most important diagnostic tool for cameras running ML, alongside with ability to run the firmware in QEMU.

Even if your camera is not running ML, I can still diagnose it via UART, with the same procedure we used to run code on the EOS R. I don't know if this is something routinely done by service technicians or not, but if it's not done, I might have found a niche on the market.

Which brings me to the last, but the most important, point. Lately I've been effectively struggling to find time to work on ML. Although I'm present on the forum nearly every day, most of that time is either during breaks at my job, or in the evening, when I'm usually too tired to do anything useful. Yet, all of the reverse engineering I did during these years gave me a significant amount of knowledge on Canon internals, that others simply don't have. I've tried to write down some of it (e.g. QEMU docs), but it's not the same. What's the point if I can barely find the time to put this knowledge to good use?

I see only one way out of this: to be able to allocate more of my productive time to Magic Lantern development. That is, without worrying about some deadline I have to meet at the job, or about what I'm going to put on the table for my (growing) family.

At the same time, the Magic Lantern project needs to stay non-commercial. Given the reverse engineering nature of this project, many developers or contributors would be uncomfortable if the project would be commercial, and rightly so. We had the discussion of going commercial a few years ago, and decided to keep Magic Lantern in the FOSS domain. This was a good decision and will not change anytime soon.

This - i.e. getting more time for ML development - is what I hoped to achieve with Apertus, some years ago. Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned - they are simply not in the position to pay a salary. So, I've ended with two projects competing for my spare (read: unpaid) time. Not a good deal...

Before that, I used to accept donations, but... I was no longer comfortable handling them since the 2013 rumour about 1DX/1DC. It's been 6 years since then, with no signs from the sleeping giant. Maybe it's time to reconsider.

We still accept Bitcoin, but... with only 3 pledges in 2018, and nothing at all in 2019... somehow it doesn't feel right.

These repair tricks, if there is indeed a market for them, might be good for a side business outside Magic Lantern. That's right - I'm tempted to try freelancing!

I might also consider custom software development, or maybe a smartphone app. It's still not very clear to me what path I'll choose - in any case, it has to be one that all other developers are OK with. For now, I'm welcoming your suggestions!

Quote from: yokashin on April 01, 2019, 09:34:42 AM
https://www.magiclantern.fm/unbrick.html

Updated this page with the serious version, including a short FAQ.

jpegmasterjesse

Always rooting for you!

I, for one, would pay $10 for an Android app that can convert dual-iso files.  :)

Idk, I for one would be comfortable with a sort of tithe situation - every gig I do that requires magic lantern I could toss in some bucks!

Danne

jackmoro

Hi @a1ex ! I read it few times this, but still confused... 

Quote from: a1ex on April 01, 2019, 07:27:57 PM
This - i.e. getting more time for ML development - is what I hoped to achieve with Apertus, some years ago. Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned - they are simply not in the position to pay a salary. So, I've ended with two projects competing for my spare (read: unpaid) time. Not a good deal...

Did you mean you've ended with ML & Apertus ... both projects? Too bad you don't take donations (not bitcoins) any more tho. It's easiest way to let us to support you.

a1ex

Nope, I didn't end with any of them. I'm still helping Apertus this year at GSoC, but... only as a secondary role.

However, my (mostly part-time) job became increasingly demanding, to the point I've started to have major trouble getting things done for both ML and Apertus (even after putting in pretty much all the extra time not claimed by job and family). I feel like I'm solving about 10% of what I want to achieve, and everything else goes to the backburner. And, both being spare-time projects, I've started to question why I'm even doing this.

Yes, it's addictive, it's great to see you guys finding it useful, but... it's also draining my energy. Especially when a large part of the comments suggest what I'm doing is not enough. Yes, I know I can do a lot better, but... not during breaks / evenings / holidays. I need to change something.

Lars Steenhoff

Try to find the project that gives you back the energy you need.
I know the balancing between things can be tiring.
I had to sell my 5d3 last week because I needed the money, but I still keep coming back here because Im learning so much, and also like to contribute where possible.

And I also love fact thats is open source.

jackmoro

@a1ex those comments and people who ask for more and faster shouldn't touch you in any way. We (people who has no knowledge about coding) just crying every time when we're using our new canon cameras without ML, because it's a true peace of brick regarding nowadays video standards. I think most of us who upgraded were hoping for MLRAW, if not today, but maybe tomorrow.

You've done already a true milestone. You know that and we'll know that. Well the all world knows that.

Just, as in other post was said, might be a good idea freeze old cameras code for a time being to save your time and go further. ML without mr. a1ex is just lantern without magic :)

jpegmasterjesse

Don't Heed The Trolls!

For me, while I have work that I do in filmmaking that I find some satisfaction in, it's the small steps forward my camera takes thanks to this community and your work that get me out of the house experimenting and shooting more. It's hard to find a balance between shooting because I love it and shooting because I'm working - but ML is a huge part of me finding personal satisfaction in filmmaking and photography in so many ways. I don't know if I'd still be in this field if ML didn't keep me curious and enabling technical growth and experimentation.

theBilalFakhouri

I think let's Make Magic Lantern organized by writing Goals for each year I liked this idea from fastcinemadng website.

All the users needs to speed up the progress I am one of them , every day thousands of users and guests are here reading and looking forward for something new and okay the things are maybe not working that way I remember when I was waiting to ISOLess 8/15 problem to be solved on my 700D and after a year of waiting nothing happened, also when I saw 4K for 5D3 the first thing I thought when it will come to my cam and of course I started to wait , in both cases waiting didn't give a result until I decided to do it.

I didn't have a problem for paying instead of waiting two years haha, most of users are ready to pay with a smiling face to speed up the progress, 2 dollars from each makes all the difference.

What I am saying is to keep ML non-commercial, but speeding up the progress commercial instead of waiting , we will save our time and you take your money as freelancer because the productive time isn't in your spare time anymore.

Patreon account will help to organize these things , Write your goal and it price , interested users will pay. Or write your goals on the forum and the users will select which one they need to boost the progress on then create it on Patreon.

I think let's try :D

I will purchase Magic Lantern App too  , but what are you planning to present on it ? I will pay 10$ if it can uses Smartphones as Dual Pixel autofocus  :D .

Last things I was thinking of:

Magic Lantern video guides for Developing or How to use it, just need to finish this year then I will take this.

I will do my best to spread Magic Lantern, I should be smart and creative. That can helps to get more Developers to help and develop.

Okay
Also because Magic Lantern has helped me a lot , MLVApp too , I have started to search to a Cuda programmers for making MLVApp GPU Accelerated.

This is my goals nowadays. But I need to finish this studying year to start.

Wish me all the luck.

gerk.raisen

+1 for the idea of "sponsored" goals development.

More than willing to support it.

ML app for Smartphone could be a good start. I think many people could be interested.

12georgiadis

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 02, 2019, 12:16:59 AM
I think let's Make Magic Lantern organized by writing Goals for each year I liked this idea from fastcinemadng website.

All the users needs to speed up the progress I am one of them , every day thousands of users and guests are here reading and looking forward for something new and okay the things are maybe not working that way I remember when I was waiting to ISOLess 8/15 problem to be solved on my 700D and after a year of waiting nothing happened, also when I saw 4K for 5D3 the first thing I thought when it will come to my cam and of course I started to wait , in both cases waiting didn't give a result until I decided to do it.

I didn't have a problem for paying instead of waiting two years haha, most of users are ready to pay with a smiling face to speed up the progress, 2 dollars from each makes all the difference.

What I am saying is to keep ML non-commercial, but speeding up the progress commercial instead of waiting , we will save our time and you take your money as freelancer because the productive time isn't in your spare time anymore.

Patreon account will help to organize these things , Write your goal and it price , interested users will pay. Or write your goals on the forum and the users will select which one they need to boost the progress on then create it on Patreon.

I think let's try :D

I will purchase Magic Lantern App too  , but what are you planning to present on it ? I will pay 10$ if it can uses Smartphones as Dual Pixel autofocus  :D .

Last things I was thinking of:

Magic Lantern video guides for Developing or How to use it, just need to finish this year then I will take this.

I will do my best to spread Magic Lantern, I should be smart and creative. That can helps to get more Developers to help and develop.

Okay
Also because Magic Lantern has helped me a lot , MLVApp too , I have started to search to a Cuda programmers for making MLVApp GPU Accelerated.

This is my goals nowadays. But I need to finish this studying year to start.

Wish me all the luck.
Agree with everything

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

ilia3101

Quote from: a1ex on April 01, 2019, 07:27:57 PM
It's still not very clear to me what path I'll choose - in any case, it has to be one that all other developers are OK with. For now, I'm welcoming your suggestions!

I can't speak for everyone, but I support any of the ideas you mentioned.

I am sure I have said this before, my idea was a Magic Lantern page on Patreon (or an alternative), that way it's easy for people to do recurring donations.

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 02, 2019, 12:16:59 AM

You mean you are looking for someone (who knows how) to help make MLV App GPU accelerated with CUDA?

I have actually had an idea for some time on how to do this. My idea: convert the whole processing, excluding black/white level/shadow/highlight/denoising things, to a single LUT. All processing would then be done with an OpenGL fragment shader (with the help of that LUT to make much of it extra simple and fast). I've been wanting to do this for ages, but I don't have the time.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Ilia3101 on April 02, 2019, 12:56:55 AM
You mean you are looking for someone (who knows how) to help make MLV App GPU accelerated with CUDA?

Yes , I don't think there is someone will do it for FREE , but I am still searching and will continue searching after some months.

If I didn't find someone I will make an offer on freelancer, there are many experienced guys on GPGPU things (Ilia3101 I will let you know to see your bid :D).

I will discuss this topic in the forum in the right time and will let you know all the details, if someone want to help it's will be cool too.

But if you want this in very fast way users, we can collect some dollars from you and start the offer in an week on freelancer (I was thinking about 250$ to 500$).

If someone interested (Making MLVApp x10 faster) let him take this task and find a way where to collect the money from interested users and give guarantee to not steal our money haha , we need a trusted guy.

Then we can save a lot of time for processing and push the things forward.

I can start with 5$ .

Isn't it easy?