ICELAND | 5D MKIII | MLRAW

Started by wib, March 25, 2019, 02:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wib

A while ago (in 2015!) I did shoot in MLRaw during a trip in Iceland (so cliché I know...) but I never had the chance to share it where it should belong, thanks to you all guys for developping ML.

All I had was a 50mm, a 100mm and a tripod, and not a lot of storage space so I had to shoot wisely.

Here is the movie, hope you enjoy. Feel free to comment :)

EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

Luther

Very nice! You even got the aurora. I like the film grain you applied too.
Iceland is beautiful. The music on your video is good, but I think Sigur Ros or Ólafur Arnalds would be more appropriate :P

wib

Thank you for your feedback!

I know it could have been Sigur Ros, but I felt it too cliché, it was more in a personal mood than that.

yourboylloyd

That had to be extreme cold temps for the camera. I'm surprised that the 5D3's cold weather performance is so outstanding! I guess if you were shooting RAW then it heated the sensor up naturally or something haha.

Can you tell us about your astro-timelapse? How did you capture it with the auroras?

Were you recording raw 14bit or 12 bit or 10 bit? There is practically zero noise in any of your shots. That old airplane is def the coolest thing ever!
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

wib

Hello !! absolutely !!

Quote from: yourboylloyd on April 11, 2019, 07:38:37 PM
That had to be extreme cold temps for the camera. I'm surprised that the 5D3's cold weather performance is so outstanding! I guess if you were shooting RAW then it heated the sensor up naturally or something haha.

I don't remember having any issue with the cold, I guess you might be right guessing that ML makes the sensor warmer :) I did had a plastic bag to protect from the water drop at the cascades. a problem that occured is our iphones, their battery was drained so fast, we used a lot our powerbanks. So at the hotel we were charging again all, I'm glad I took a multi socket !

Also, when I was in holiday in the south of spain, hiking near some cliffs where I think you could easily cool eggs, I did had a big issue with the heat, it corrupted a lot of MLV files, and I had remove the battery and wait a long time to cool down the camera body.

Can you tell us about your astro-timelapse? How did you capture it with the auroras?

That is thanks to the intervalometer that comes with ML. I shot with my sigma 50mm at shutter speed 3.2 sec, f4 and 2000 iso (I guess I could do a better job if I had with better knowledge that day) It was getting cold and we were late on the road. I could only take 30-50 frames for the timelapses and that's why it's a bit laggy, I stretched the resulting clips to be longer for the edit.

here is a unprocessed raw photo

Were you recording raw 14bit or 12 bit or 10 bit?

14bits uncompressed. it was in 2015, so no lossless compression, I exported all in Prores with MlRawViewer with a C-LOG lut, contrasted the shots in davinci a little and applied a Portra 160 lut. Most of the takes were 10-20 seconds long, to save space and batteries, I had only 2x64 Gb CF Cards.

There is practically zero noise in any of your shots.

Yes, :D but I applied a strong denoiser on some shots, and added a grain layer over all.

That old airplane is def the coolest thing ever!

Thank you so much !

I will share another video that I did in Madrid, I did a more advanced workflow.