Which camera you recommend for ML?

Started by immanueldej, March 23, 2019, 11:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

immanueldej

Hi
My main goal is to make short films. I like long shots, so I want RAW video continuously in 24 fps.
I read that EOS M is one of the best options. But to be honest I don't know for how long you can record on 2.5k.
So maybe D5 iii or EOS M?
What do you think is the best option?
And about lenses what do you recommend
Thanks ahead!

P.S. I don't care about auto focus, the most important thing for me is record for long time and consistently

Walter Schulz

Offtopic: Just curious ...
You don't own any Canon equipment yet, right? Costs issues don't seem to be a priority too, right? May I ask which reasons let to the conclusion to prefer ML (running on not-so-up-to-date-cams with some serious limititations and if-then-else or "yes, possible but...") instead of going mainstream with more up-to-date gear and techniques?

IDA_ML

Quote from: immanueldej on March 23, 2019, 11:47:41 PM
So maybe D5 iii or EOS M?

If you can afford an used 5DMkIII in mint condition, go for it.  This is your best option for ML.  Not only can you record continuously at 2,5K but it is very stable too.  Once you learn how to expose properly to the right, low-light performance is excellent and so is video quality.

Quote from: immanueldej on March 23, 2019, 11:47:41 PM
And about lenses what do you recommend

I have been using this camera with the EF 35/F2 IS and the EF 24/F2.8 IS and have been very pleased with the results.  A friend of mine uses it with the cheap Tokina 11-16/F2.8 in crop mode and on a gimbal and he produces very high-quality wide angle videos.

And remember:

Once you film RAW you never come back!

Kharak

once you go raw you never go back

immanueldej

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 25, 2019, 04:13:04 PM
Offtopic: Just curious ...
You don't own any Canon equipment yet, right? Costs issues don't seem to be a priority too, right? May I ask which reasons let to the conclusion to prefer ML (running on not-so-up-to-date-cams with some serious limititations and if-then-else or "yes, possible but...") instead of going mainstream with more up-to-date gear and techniques?

Yeah, I save some money, so cost is not an issue. Is more about the things I read about ML about RAW. Because it's going to be my first camera and I don't want a Black Magic Pocket or something if I don't know how to use it (though I save money I will need to save more for a Black Magic I heard good things about Sony a6300 and A7 II too, but I want to try RAW)

Quote from: IDA_ML on March 25, 2019, 06:09:48 PM
If you can afford an used 5DMkIII in mint condition, go for it.  This is your best option for ML.  Not only can you record continuously at 2,5K but it is very stable too.  Once you learn how to expose properly to the right, low-light performance is excellent and so is video quality.

Quote from: Kharak on March 25, 2019, 08:19:14 PM
Say what? :)

5D ML III all the way !

Thank you so much, both of you. I think I will search for a 5D III

Walter Schulz

You haven't used a camera before? Seriously: ML is not made for beginners!

immanueldej

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 29, 2019, 07:03:23 PM
You haven't used a camera before? Seriously: ML is not made for beginners!

I have used analog 35 mm cameras for photo and DSLR s for video and photo, but I never had a camera of my own (only old analogs cameras). That's the difference, I want to enter the world of ML with my first camera (of my own). I made some short films with a Nikon D3500 and a Sony a6300 some friends borrowed me.

andy kh

wait til 1st april otherwise 5D mark III is the best for now
5D Mark III - 70D

Kharak

The pocket 4k is probably the most user friendly camera ever made.

It is has the most simplified UI i have ever tried.. BM hit the nail on the head with the new "OS" on the Ursa mini and Pocket 4k.

For beginners who want a Video camera the P4k would be the best solution.
once you go raw you never go back

immanueldej

Walter Schulz

Wait a few hours ...
While waiting you may lookup last few years ML April Fools Day announcements and "usual suspects" (= photonews aggregators) reactions ...
Regulars may have popcorn on the stove.

Danne

Walter Schulz

@immanueldej: I think it's going to be a recommendation for 5D3 for the forseeable future. 

extremelypoorfilmaker

Magic lantern is awesome and on the 5D3 it's truly a match made in heaven.

that being said, I think the most sensible investment right now would be to get an used fs700 or used blackmagic ursa mini 4.6k That depends on individual needs.

immanueldej

Quote from: extremelypoorfilmaker on April 02, 2019, 12:36:19 AM
Magic lantern is awesome and on the 5D3 it's truly a match made in heaven.

that being said, I think the most sensible investment right now would be to get an used fs700 or used blackmagic ursa mini 4.6k That depends on individual needs.

And @extremelypoorfilmaker what are the differences and pros and cons of that two cameras?

ioman

Hi I would have similiar question. What is the cheapest EOS camera that very well works with ML and is worth experimenting with?

Regards,
Jakub

andy kh

Quote from: ioman on April 18, 2019, 11:14:20 PM
What is the cheapest EOS camera that very well works with ML and is worth experimenting with?
EOS M. you wil suffer with lots of moire and aliansing when using wide angles lens if you don know how to deal with it
5D Mark III - 70D

togg

Hi I would have similiar question. What is the cheapest EOS camera that very well works with ML and is worth experimenting with?

Regards,
Jakub

5D mark2

yourboylloyd

Regards,
Jakub

5D mark II hands down. Just get you a 128 GB Komputerbay 1066x CF card (or 2 64GB's) and you're set for life!

I mean just look at these prices!

Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

andy kh

Finally i got a 5d mark III with 24-105 lens for INR 79000 which is apprroximately $1130
5D Mark III - 70D