Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine VDSLR Wide-Angle Lens

Started by IndyP, August 27, 2012, 06:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyP

Hi everyone,
   At present I have the Canon T2i with the 18-55mm kit lens and will shortly be ready to upgrade to a better lens. One of my choices will be the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens which will leave the gap below 70mm to be filled in.

Well, Samyang/Rokinon has recently come out with three new cine lenses, and I am tempted to buy the Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine VDSLR Wide-Angle Lens for Canon EF - CV35-C (see here http://rokinon.com/product.php?id=202 ). Optically, it is supposed to be comparable to the f/1.4 version and therefore seems to be a good choice as I have (for some time) been thinking about buying the Canon 50mm f/1.4. However, I have little experience with "f/?" stop lenses let alone cine lenses which brings me to my question, which I'm not even sure how to explain, but I will try.

How does a cine lens react with the camera, and consequently, what functions in ML will be altered or changed in the way they work or respond if a cine lens is used?

I'm assuming that if the lens is "de-clicked" that full control of the aperture in now in the hands of the operator and that the camera can no longer be set in (any way) to have control of aperture. However, the shutter and ISO are still recognized and can be controlled  by the camera if need be. In light of this does the camera still sense aperture values when you are attempting to set exposure. In other words, will the display still reflect any changes that is made to the aperture, and how will it respond if you are trying to shoot in any of the "Auto' modes (though I prefer to shoot in manual mode only). And are there any other consideration that should be noted when buying a lens such as this?

Note:  Phil Bloom gave a review of the photo version of this lens which can be seen here
             http://philipbloom.net/2011/05/12/samyang35mm/

Peter

nanomad

The only way the camera can "sense" the aperture value of the lens is if there's a chip talking to it, otherwise you'll have to shoot in manual mode and set the correct aperture in-camera by yourself.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

IndyP

I'm a little confused. If there is no chip in the lens which allows the lens and the camera to speak with each other, how can you set the aperture in manual mode in the camera when you have to physically set the aperture on the lens yourself. This would be a case of you doing one thing, and the camera having to do another. That is unless you are talking about physically setting the aperture to a certain value and again going into the camera and setting the aperture in the camera itself to that same value so they are one and the same.
   What am I missing here?

ilguercio

It's the same lens as the 1.4 version except for declicked aperture and different focus ring (so it can be turned by a follow focus without further stuff) .
A manual lens like the Samyang doesn't communicate with th camera in any way, the camera doesn't even know the lens is there.
Lightmeter would still work, stops are there for a matter of practicality, reality isn't strict like that.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

nanomad

You set the aperture using the aperture ring, what else?  ::)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Jjbruja

In case anyone's interested, here's a short vid I took using the Rokinon 8mm in Nikon mount and EOS chipped adapter on a T2i.
The camera was set on the front dash of the old minivan using a beanbag of sorts consisting of several rags stuffed into one of my clean athletic sox.   The lens was set a f8 (I think) and the focus at 10 ft which effectively made the lens  Point & Shoot.  The camera now has the Magic Lantern package installed in it which greatly expands its capabilities.  I make no excuses for the composition as this was just a test of this lens and camera combination.

http://www.photoshop.com/users/arsk0wal/assets/25dca1f789db4c3aa1d1867deb37f329

mSpider

Why no windshield wiper blades.
It doesn't rain where you live?

Jjbruja

Very observant.  It very seldom rains here in southeast Florida.  That being said, We're still trying to cope with the last of the rain bands from hurricane Isaac.  Have a good day. 

Chungdha

Its a cinema lens so the aperture ring is now much smoother to turn and dont click which mean you can set also inbetween aperture other than just standard f-stop numbers you see on normal lenses. Also you can do iris pulls with those lenses which be smooth change with out having jumpy fstop changes like normal lenses. With that meaning you can quickly change the amount of light hitting the sensor easier walking from a dark room to a sunny outdoor and do an iris pull to cope with the brightness.

Rokinon wont have camera control and the chip only give you focus confirm in photo modes. The aperture and focus will be only manual. For the t2i or any of the crop sensor range 35mm is a nice lens as is it almost like using a 50mm on a full frame. As 50mm on a crop sensor often feels to tele and not have the same FOV as what you want to shoot.

IndyP

Thanks for your input, this is some of the information I have been looking for. I don't know if I am allowed to do this but I also found the following information from a very reputable site (see below) which may help others considering manual lenses.

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/

Edited: the text is copyrighted.

IndyP

Thanks for adding the link Alex. I initially intended to do the same but felt it might be considered inappropriate to direct supporters of this forum to another website. I have just re-checked photonotes.org and though permission is given to print or copy for personal use, I unintentionally overlooked the part where it says it is not permissible to include this work on other Web sites.

My apologies'.

nanomad

Feel free to link whatever you like, as long as it's not spamming

canonuser78

Regarding these type of cinema lenses ,assuming that the aperture and fucus settings will be all made by hand (with or without attached confirmation focus chip on the body lens) , could be a good alternative in shooting photos too ?
Thank you,

Malcolm Debono

I guess it might be a bit hard to focus correctly through the viewfinder. Might be better to use the liveview display. I have the 35 and 85mm on order (should arrive in the next few days), so I'll let you know how it goes  :)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

IndyP

Malcolm,
  Focus is not my greatest concern because  I use a Z Finder 3x, it just takes a little longer to achieve. But my greatest challenge is getting correct exposure. The cameras exposure meter is not very accurate when using a fully manual lens. I find that I have to over expose to get my shots looking decent. Of course, that could be my lack of experience as I jumped right in to the world of manual mode and manual lenses before I had really mastered anything else, but I'm loving it. My next purchase will also be the 85mm Cine.
   Let me know how things go after you've had time to try out your new lenses, I'd appreciate any tips.

Peter

Roman

I've got the samyang 8mm and 35mm (non cine versions) and I had the 85mm for a short while.

For video I prefer using something with zoom and image stabilisation though (kit lenses 18-55 and 55-250)

If you've got a good follow focus setup then these lenses are good as the front element doesnt move or rotate, and they have big wide slow focusing rings.

However it obviously depends on your particular application etc.

It's nearly impossible to film something moving with F1.4, even with the 35mm... Worse with the 85mm.

With a photo you can take a really great photo of something with a really narrow depth of field... With a video you need about 3-4x the depth of field in order to have a chance of making a video that looks like the camera man wasnt drunk.

If you're set on buying the 70-200mm, I'd just use it in conjunction with the kit 18-55mm you've got and spend the change on a nice viewing screen, or mic or tripod or something.

Again it totally depends on the application, but I find primes really frustrating to try and use for video, moving closer or further away arent always as much of a practical option like they are for photos.

I wouldnt pay too much attention to lense reviews, for how this impacts using it for video... Remember they usually have people pixel peeping corners of test charts at 100% crop on a 20 megapixel picture.

Having a 1080p video with compression, aliasing, etc etc I've not noticed any meaningful difference between any lenses I've used so far for filming stuff, although that's limited to kit lenses, samyang lenses and a few other randoms. So your milage may vary.

Malcolm Debono

Received the 85 yesterday and the 35 this morning (Amazon decided to send them separately ???). For their price, I wasn't expecting such quality, both when it comes to optics & performance and from the lens' construction. The focus ring is very smooth and works great with a follow focus. The aperture ring is also very smooth and allows for smooth transitioning in exposure. The advantage of the 35mm is the minimum focusing distance of 0.3m (it's more than 1m for the 85mm) which allows you to get really close to the subject. Both of these lenses work quite good for photos too, although it's much harder to judge focus when using a very shallow depth of field using the optical viewfinder (can easily use liveview with my z-finder though).

Overall I'm very happy with them. I just need to try them out in the field (quite limited at the moment as I'm doing exams :(). I have a photo op next weekend so I'll be sure to give them a try  :)
C100 & 6D shooter

Malcolm Debono

Just wanted to post a quick update:
Below is a quick test (handheld shot) with the 35mm cine lens on a 5D2 - t/1.5 (wide open), 1/30 and ISO 3200 (no post and shot in neutral flat). I'm simply amazed that you can shoot with these lenses when there barely is any light at all!

C100 & 6D shooter