550D perma-frozen, anyway to restore?

Started by vnt87, March 19, 2019, 09:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vnt87

Hi everyone,
I have a 550D running on ML 2018Jul03 firmware. It was running normally til the other day, when I was filming a section in my studio. About 1 minute in, I heard a click as the shutter closed, I went over to check and saw that the screen had gone black. Autofocus still worked. I wasn't worry then because this happened once before, and it fixed itself back then after I remove the SD card and the battery and let it sit for a while. But this time, after letting it sit for a day and use a new batter pack, with no SD card, it's still in that state. Only auto focus works with no other button functioning, and it's still draining the battery.
My question is, is there anyway I can do to restore the original Canon firmware at this point?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Walter Schulz

Backup ROM0.BIN and ROM1.BIN located in \ML\Logs.
Rename autoexec.bin. Copy portable display test Autoexec.bin to card. https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0
Remove battery.
Insert card.
Insert battery and close compartment door. If screen doesn't show any messages and LED doesn't show any activity: Remove battery after max.120 seconds.
Report results (and don't forget to remove battery!).

vnt87

Thanks Walter,
Fortunately, I didn't even get to try your method. After letting the camera sit for close to a week without battery and SD card. I just turned it on just now and it magically fixed itself, again  :D
Hopefully I won't run into this problem again, but if I do I'd definitely come back to this thread and try it out.
Thanks again

ItsMeLenny