[HARDWARE?] i think i made a boo boo with my eos 1100D

Started by Ilsalottodisara, March 16, 2019, 09:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilsalottodisara

first thing sorry for my bad english but i'm italian.
today i've installed ML follow the instruction with attention and it looking work but after some minutes it crash and the camera does not work.
it not turn on
it not blink the led
anything.
i've change two battery, i've try to use another sd. anything.

the only thing "wrong" i find on ml file is this.
but if ML is disabled on it own why the camera is totally dead?

Walter Schulz

Remove battery, remove card.
Insert battery. Close compartment door. Try to start camera.
Result?

Remove battery, remove card.
Backup card content, rename autoexec.bin. Copy portable display test autoexec.bin to card.
Insert card and battery and close compartment door.
Result?

Ilsalottodisara

I've Tried this and all the test.

Nothing work, totally dead.

Walter Schulz

You have used the card you used to install ML, right? And you haven't formated the card since, right?
Take an unused card and make the card bootable by using EOScard (Windows) or Macboot (macOS). Copy display test autoexec.bin to card and retry.
If it doesn't help:

Insert card and battery but keep lid open. If you look into the open compartment you will notice there is a "hole" located nearby upper left corner. A produding element on the card door/lid will fit into it. This is the switch telling the cam compartment is closed. Use some non-metallic device to trigger the switch and keep it triggered. Is cam starting up now?

Ilsalottodisara

Ilsalottodisara

i'm a little sad, the camera works fine until ML...
it's not for the value of the camera, it was old, but my dad gave to me and i'm sad.
if i haven't installed anything maybe it works for another little bit of time.. or maybe not but still i'm sad.

dfort

Did you backup the ML/LOGS/ROM0.BIN and ROM1.BIN from your sd card? For sure you followed Walter's instructions exactly? Seguire le istruzioni perfettamente.

Don't give up hope. My suggestion would be to wait until a1ex responds.

a1ex

Please show us a video of what you have tried. Make sure you include:
- card contents (including file sizes)
- whether the card is bootable (or what you did to make it bootable)
- battery removal (yes, you need to take the battery out from the camera)
- battery charge status (green LED in the charger)
- attempt to power on (with card/battery door properly closed)
- camera reaction; even a short LED blink counts.

If your only answer is "always dead", I'm afraid I have no idea whether you did the above procedures correctly. In particular, make sure you remove (take out) the battery after each failed startup attempt. The power switch is just a soft button; if the camera is locked up, it won't react to buttons at all. If the card/battery door is not properly closed, it will not power on.

You may also want to describe what you were doing right before the crash. The file you have found on the SD card simply indicates an improper shutdown. How did the crash look like?
- image frozen, no reaction to buttons?
- error message on screen?
- screen turned off all of a sudden?
- something else?

And what was your reaction to the crash?
- did you try to turn off the camera from power switch?
- did you just take the battery out and put it back?
- did you remove the card from camera, inserted it into card reader and and deleted autoexec.bin?
- something else?

I can perform low-level troubleshooting, but first I want to rule out user errors (very likely, judging from your answers). Please read this, too.

Ilsalottodisara

Quote from: a1ex on March 18, 2019, 09:20:31 AM
- battery removal (yes, you need to take the battery out from the camera)
i've do it, and change. i've one original canon and one compatible
Quote from: a1ex on March 18, 2019, 09:20:31 AM- battery charge status (green LED in the charger)
the two battery has totally charged, green led
- camera reaction; even a short LED blink counts.
anyone. dead.

If your only answer is "always dead", I'm afraid I have no idea whether you did the above procedures correctly. In particular, make sure you remove (take out) the battery after each failed startup attempt. The power switch is just a soft button; if the camera is locked up, it won't react to buttons at all. If the card/battery door is not properly closed, it will not power on.
i've tried everything Walter suggested to me in the previous post.
everytime i've remove the battery and also tried to switch with the other i have.

You may also want to describe what you were doing right before the crash. The file you have found on the SD card simply indicates an improper shutdown. How did the crash look like?
- image frozen, no reaction to buttons?
it was the first time i've loading ML, i'm looking trought the menu (no option modified, only watching the various option on menu), ml screen made a vertical line and in 1 second the machine made the lcd black but on, and then go black and off.

- error message on screen?

And what was your reaction to the crash?
1 - did you try to turn off the camera from power switch?
2 - did you just take the battery out and put it back?
3 - did you remove the card from camera, inserted it into card reader and and deleted autoexec.bin?
4 -something else?

1) i'm freezed one second then i take out the battery.
2) if i don't remember wrong i've remove the battery, reinsert and when nothing appear i've set the switch to off, and to on and then the machine have totally no reaction.
3) i've tried the various option the forum suggest.
the various exec, another card, another card made bootable with macboot, nothing.
the machine is dead.no led. no reaction, anything.

i hope i've answered correctly.
i've upload the back up of ML i've on my mac

a1ex

Alright. Might be a hardware issue, I'm afraid...

To make sure the portable display test card is prepared properly, you can check it in another ML-enabled camera (any model), or in QEMU. I can help with the second step, e.g. via TeamViewer or other similar software.

If that won't work... what are your electronics skills? Are you afraid of this topic? I'm not sure where the UART pins are located on 1100D, but we can find out.

Ilsalottodisara

Quote from: a1ex on March 18, 2019, 03:14:52 PM
Alright. Might be a hardware issue, I'm afraid...

To make sure the portable display test card is prepared properly, you can check it in another ML-enabled camera (any model), or in QEMU. I can help with the second step, e.g. via TeamViewer or other similar software.

If that won't work... what are your electronics skills? Are you afraid of this topic? I'm not sure where the UART pins are located on 1100D, but we can find out.

for the first thing i'm not install ML to any other reflex in my life after this experience :D
For QEMU i'm reading your post and i can try, i'm not a totally noob with code but my skill are a little bit rusty.

my electronical skill it's not the top but in the past i've revived a ps3 with yellow led and a xbox 360 with red light.
i can try.
dead for dead, i'm studying your post.

Ilsalottodisara

i'm installing QEMU in this moment.
i attend your instruction.