EOS 5D III or 70D - live view autofocus+no overlay

Started by Phillight, March 07, 2019, 08:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillight

Hi, I've been out of the loop for quite some time.

So, here's what I'm looking for: Use a camera as a webcam/ record HDMI signal via a capture card onto the pc - no internal recording.

I have access to either a Canon 5D Mark III or a Canon 70D.

I've tested with Magic lantern on the 5DIII and got basically what I wanted, except it does not autofocus in liveview mode.
The 70D does focus in live view mode, but always shows the white focus rectangle, which cannot be in the recording obviously.

I didn't install ML to the 70D because it says failed on the download website.

Is there a way to make the 5DIII autofocus continuously in live view mode? Or a way to remove the overlay of the 70D completely?

Thanks for helping!

Walter Schulz

5D3 passed 7 of 7 tests in software emulation.
70D passed 8 of 9 tests in software emulation.

Do you really think this is enough info to conclude ML for 5D3 is more secure than ML for 70D? ;-)

Please read the text under "Main Builds" again and reconsider. I'm running ML on 7D (no software emulation available -> No errors -> You decide), on 650D (8 passed, Dual-ISO not working without tweaking) and on 100D (7 passed, 1 failed).

Phillight

Well, I was being quite simplistic in my decision making process. I see green, interpret go, I see red, interpret no :)

But anyway, thanks to your encouragement, I have now decided and downloaded ML to the 70D. It seems to work so far. Great.

I'd still like to know if there is a setting that can be changed so that the 5DIII would also use AF in LV-mode.