Music Video / 6D / 14-bit Lossless MLV - PANICLAND | The Edge

Started by Tyronetheterrible, February 27, 2019, 04:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyronetheterrible

A retro, Wayne's World, Back to the Future inspired music video that I shot for local Winnipeg band, Panicland.
Shot on the 6D using the crop_rec experimental build. Regular speed shots were in 1.85:1 aspect ratio (1824x986), and used the SD Overclocking module to record continuously.
Slow-motion shots were also 1.85:1 aspect ratio (1824x592) and got about 5 or so seconds each recording.

Exposed to the right as best as I could with each shot and did not go over 6400 ISO.
Had some vertical banding issues with some of the underexposed shots that I couldn't get Neat Video to completely get rid of, but all in all it looks pretty decent.

Levas

Good job on the video clip  8)   

As a 6d owner, I see some room for improvement.
I see a lot of black/dead pixels dancing on white surfaces through the whole clip.
Don't know what post proces software you used, but I think you can get better results on that.
Probably also a good idea to remap dead/hot pixels on your camera by using the lens cap / manual sensor cleaning method described all over the internet.
Raw video of my 6d improved a lot at high iso's after remapping the dead/hot pixels once.

For the slowmo shots, I didn't notice resolution difference in the clip, not sure if you used crop_rec method with square pixels, or that you used plain 50/60 fps from canon which needs vertical stretch ?
But you can get more vertical resolution, with square pixels(no stretching needed). I have a build with 1824x850 x 50fps for crop_rec. I can make you a custom one if you need 48 or 60 fps ?

Didn't notice any banding in the clip, but if you want to prevent it at iso 3200/6400 you can use dark frame subtraction.
You can take a clip with the same resolution, iso and shuttertime  settings with the lens cap on, make a average MLV/DNG from it with mlv_dump or MLVapp and subtract that frame from the frames of your clips shot at the same settings.

Tyronetheterrible

@Levas
You continue to be a a holy grail of 6D Magic Lantern knowledge for me and I am thankful for that.

I used MLVFS to mount the MLV files, and turned Bad Pixel Fix to ON, and Vertical Stripes Fix to ON as well. Then graded in DaVinci Resolve.

I will definitely try this lens cap / manual sensor cleaning method, as I noticed the black/dead pixels as well but was not sure of how to get rid of it. I also have the VAF-6D Anti-Aliasing filter installed, so I assume I will have to remove this before doing the cleaning.

For the purposes of keeping the consistent 1.85:1 shooting aspect ratio, I did not use the crop_rec for the 60fps slow mo shots, as I noticed with previous experience of using it, that despite not needing to vertically stretch in post, the aspect ratio for whatever reason did not accurately match with the 23.976 shots, even though the aspect ratio I set it to in the RAW menu was exactly the same. So I did not want to take any chances on this production. If you could make a custom 1824x850 crop_rec for 60fps, that would be amazing! Do you find that's the max vertical resolution you can get with square pixels?

I have never heard of dark frame subtraction until now. This is incredibly helpful to know, and I will definitely give this a try right away! Out of curiosity would it still work if it was virtually mounted with MLVFS as opposed to using MLV-Dump of MLVApp?

Thank you so much again for the constructive feedback, much appreciated.  :)

Levas

Hi,

Made a NTSC crop_rec module few months ago.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15088.msg209688#msg209688

Not sure how stable it is, living in PAL world.
For 60 fps I needed to sacrifice some vertical and horizontal resolution compared to 50fps, unfortunately the 6d doesn't have real fast sensor.

For the dark frame subtraction there are many options.
Not sure if MLVFS can subtract dark frames ?
MLV_dump and MLVapp (Mac) have an option for averaging out frames in a MLV file.
For the dark frame you basically shoot about 10 or 20 seconds with the lens cap on with same settings as you recorded video (can be done days or months later)
And with MLV_dump or MLVapp you make a new MLV file from it, where all frames are averaged into one frame.
With MLVapp you can extract this darkframe MLV from a video MLV when exporting to DNG files.

But what probably also works is that you make two video layers in Resolve.
Normal video on top, and then place the average DNG from the dark frame MLV underneath it and set composite mode to subtract.

Danne

If on mac check out Switch for darkframe automation. It also exists an automated darkframe handling in windows based batch_mlv. Basically when set up right one can keep a storage with darkframes and the program keeps an eye for matching files.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Levas on March 01, 2019, 10:47:39 AM
For the dark frame you basically shoot about 10 or 20 seconds with the lens cap on with same settings as you recorded video (can be done days or months later)

No, it can't unless you create the dark frame MLV at the same temperature as the original.  Noise is temperature dependent.  The most accurate result you will get if shooting the dark frame footage right after the original.  Dark frame footage shot at -10 and +25 deg. C will provide different noise cleaning results and, in my experience,  differences are visible even with the bare eye.

Danne

It will still work better than without a darkframe. A few seconds of a recorded darkframe is enough.

Starclassic

Tyronetheterrible

Quote from: Starclassic on March 02, 2019, 10:18:03 AM
Looks good dude. Did you use a LUT? If so which one?

Thanks, Starclassic! I used the BMD Film to Cinelog-C LUT, the M31 LOG LUT, some curves adjustments, and then Filmconvert for grain and further color adjustments.