Here´s how to disable automatic turn off liveview after 30 minutes on Canon T5i

Started by Dihelson, February 18, 2019, 06:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dihelson

Although there are many topics on this subject, and since this is a frequently asked question on the forum, I tried to answer it for good:

Canon T5i ( 700D ) is a good camera, and many people try to use it these days for live streaming, as a "good webcam", using it´s HDMI output in capture cards ( Or canon software ) in OBS, Wirecast or these kind of softwares. The problem is that, like many other Canon DSLR cameras, it has a timer which turns off liveview automatically after 30 minutes, forcing a person to turn it on again and again, or pressing the half shutter button from time to time, which is annoying.

Magic Lantern is a software which once installed on canon cameras, give a wide range of new characteristics, and a friend from the ML forum wrote a code which prevent T5i from turning off automatically liveview after 30 minutes. This fix is called "Lua Fix", and it´s located on the Magic Lantern website, on the top of the page -> Downloads -> Download (dropdown menu) -> Experiments -> Lookup "lua_fix build" for T5i. It works only with the firmware 1.5.1.

Since my firmware was old, and I already use ML, I had to remove ML and do a firmware upgrade to 1.5.1 in order to install this new ML build.

Here´s the links for what you need:

Link for Canon T5i firmware 1.5.1 - https://web.archive.org/web/pel.hu/down/v115-t5i-700d-x7i-win.zip
Link for Lua Fix Build for T5i - https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/lua_fix/447/artifact/platform/700D.115/magiclantern-lua_fix.2018Dec23.700D115.zip

INSTRUCTIONS:

Since I already solved, here´s how I did:

- I downloaded firmware 1.5.1 from ML website and unzipped the content into a folder
- I Made a backup of my camera´s card ( With the old ML content in any case... )
- Using a completely charged battery, I uninstalled ML from camera, using the method explained in the guide, where you access on camera´s menu "firmware update" and removed ML ( Read the guide for more instructions ).
- I low format the card in order to remove any trace of old ML files.
- Removed the card from the camera and inserted on a card reader on the computer
- Copied the new firmware file to the card´s root directory
- Put the card on camera and went to the firmware update and updated to latest version 1.5.1
- I low format the card again in order to remove the newly copied firmware file.
- Turned off the camera and carried the card again to the computer
- Copied the content of the folder with the new "Lua Fix" build to the root directory of the card.
- Put the card on camera again and went to upgrade firmware and so, installed the new ML build.
- Restart the camera and went to the Prefs tab -> Powersave in Liveview -> 30-minutes timer set to "Disable"
- That´s all. Now, my T5i no longer turns off automatically in liveview mode after 30 minutes.

Well, I hope this may save much time for other people !

All the best,

Dihelson Mendonça

Canon 5D Mark II, 700D, Panasonic Fz200 | Canon 24-70mm f2.8L | 17-40mm f4.0L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | 50mm f1.8 | Blackmagic, Avermedia 4K cards

dfort

Quote from: Dihelson on February 18, 2019, 06:28:56 AM
...Link for Canon T5i firmware 1.5.1...

That should be firmware 1.1.5 and it is the most current update so you should be able to get it from the Canon website. You might have to search for the Canon website in your territory.

Sharxna

Thank you so so much, I've actually learned quite a bit.

Do you perhaps know the solution for the T4i/650D?

I'm currently using it as my webcam for my stream but it keeps on shutting down every 30 minutes :(

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Downloads (drop down menu) -> Experiments -> Latest Lua updates + fixes (please review) -> Use Link to 650D lua_fix experimental build