[FIXED] Allow user to disable idle LED blinking

Started by alexdi, August 25, 2012, 09:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexdi

There appears to be a permanent feature to flash the LED on the back of the 5D II (and potentially other cameras) every few seconds if the camera is on and hasn't been touched for a certain time. This is very distracting. Sometimes I don't care about battery draw, or I'm on an AC adapter for which it wouldn't matter.

Can this become an optional feature? Or if it has to be permanent, can there be a setting to change the blink interval to once every few minutes instead?

Marsu42

Quote from: alexdi on August 25, 2012, 09:38:20 PM
There appears to be a permanent feature to flash the LED on the back of the 5D II (and potentially other cameras) every few seconds if the camera is on and hasn't been touched for a certain time.

Once I asked about this for the red LED on my 60d, too, since I was unsure if my camera was broken or something - and now I know: it's not a bug, it's a feature :-) ...  and personally I have gotten used to it and even find it rather helpful, I don't see any drawbacks, the battery drain should be minimal (?)

alexdi

It's not the battery drain that bothers me, it's the assumption and repeated reminder I'm too dumb to know that my camera is on. The blinking is very obvious and distracting to me, particularly if I've set the camera down to do something else. ML adds enough startup lag that it's inconvenient to constantly shut the body down.

Marsu42

Quote from: alexdi on August 26, 2012, 09:19:23 AMit's the assumption and repeated reminder I'm too dumb to know that my camera is on.

Well, you've got me there ;-) ... but the question is if this is really worth a config option. But if the devs do change it please include an option to make the blinking led actually relay some information like slow blink = idle and fast blink = ml is doing something like a timelapse!

nanomad

Fixed in revision 4930

changeset:   4390:575838edc769
branch:      unified
tag:         tip
user:        Nanomad <*@gmail.com>
date:        Sun Aug 26 10:46:13 2012 +0200
summary:     Allow user to disble IDLE led blinking (config idle.blink, no menu entry due to space reasons)

There's no space with the current menu layout so I made a config option only (idle.blink, 1 to enable blinking, 0 to disable it)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

alexdi

Thanks for the update. How can I install that revision?

nanomad

You need to compile the sources yourself or wait for the nightly builds to become available
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Marsu42

Quote from: nanomad on August 26, 2012, 10:47:53 AM
Fixed in revision 4930

How about the addition to make ml blink only or otherwise when it's busy? This would be a nice addition to the "turn off lcd" power saving timer - though other features might be more important though.

nanomad

That would require an extra effort for little or no gain. If ML is doing something then it is already using the memory card and the led will blink by itself