External controls 5D3+Gimbal

Started by johannsebastianbach, February 01, 2019, 04:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johannsebastianbach

Hi there!

I wanted to ask if by now there is a good solution to change aperture/iso etc. if you have your 5D3 on a gimbal. I have a ronin-s with tho handle setup so it's always a battle to change the settings. Maybe with a wire or wireless? The hdmi port is already plugged in for an ext. monitor but the mini-usb would be free. Thanks!!

Tyronetheterrible

Hi johannsebastianbach,

The closest I've seen to anyone making any sort of headway towards a solution like that is user Dmytro_ua, who used a Micro-to-Mini USB adapter connected to the MCC-to-MicroUSB cable that comes included wih the Ronin, with the objective of pulling focus. Although no mention of potentially adjusting aperture, ISO etc:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23173.msg210904#msg210904

A solution may be to purchase a Zhiyun Crane 2 or Zhiyun Crane 3 Lab, as both of those gimbals include a Micro-USB to Mini-USB control cable that allows you to adjust aperture, ISO, record, as well as pull focus all through the gimbal itself.

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: johannsebastianbach on February 01, 2019, 04:31:00 AM
I have a ronin-s with tho handle setup so it's always a battle to change the settings.

Hi,
What kind of dual handle do you have? Could you show a picture of your setup?

I wasn't looking for a solution to change aperture/iso settings, as I don't actually need it on the fly. I set it up and then shoot.

I've made a Photoshop prototype sketch for DJi dual grip (this is just my thoughts how it could be), and as you can see, there's a tripod leg on the bottom. So, you can easily put it on the floor to change settings of your camera. 

5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

johannsebastianbach

QuoteMicro-to-Mini USB adapter connected to the MCC-to-MicroUSB cable that comes included wih the Ronin

There is already a mini-USB to MCC cable available from DJI (was not included in the package and you have to buy it separately. But it only gives you the ability to focus (which is super slow and almost unusable in a real world scenario.

I use the Nucleus Nano wireless focus with a focus puller so no need for the MCC cable, but even if you have the command unit, the unit needs to be mounted on the side of the ronin, so there would be no advantage. The easiest way would be, if they would integrate the control paramaters like aperture or iso into the App -> ronin -> connected Camera, but they wouldn't do it so they can sell the control unit.

About the dual handle (actually using a 4th axis stabilizer): My last parts of the rig adapters are probably arriving next week. I'll post a setup here when it's done :)