LP-E6, third party or original? Do they shut down on you?

Started by togg, January 30, 2019, 04:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

togg

I'm struggling to find some good LP-e6 that don't break the bank. I tried pantona and now a couple supposed original from ebay and they shut down on me way before reaching 0%.

Am I doing something wrong? what is your solution?

Kharak

Does the LP-E6 battery have "Canon" engraved in the shell? Or "Li-Ion Battery"? The latter means 3rd party. 

Also under canon settings find battery options and check battery health. There are 3 bars that show the health of the battery, if it only has 1 bar you might aswell buy a new set of batteries. You might have to register the battery in cam to see its health.

And I recommend always buying Canon LP E6 becuse they simply last longer than any 3rd party batteries. The money you save from buying 3rd party batteries will be used on replacements before you know it.
once you go raw you never go back

Tyronetheterrible

I agree with Kharak.

There is a glaringly noticeable difference in battery life between Canon LP-E6 batteries versus third-party LP-E6 batteries, and becomes frustrating enough on shoots for myself that make the Canon brand much more worth it in the long run.

togg

They look like originals sadly. My question is, do third party or original shuts down on you before 0%?

ArcziPL

From my experience:

- original Canon batteries are working flawless even being 8..10 years old (my original 450D battery from 2008 is still fine; ~30k shots done in that time). If the price doesn't matter -- go for it.

- good 3rd party brands should be OK. I have Duracell replacement for 450D (LP-E5) and 700D (LP-E8). Both holding slightly less than original but being generally good and IMO excellent considering the price. Hey, they cost 1/4 of the original. I can definitely recommend them!

- counterfeits (3rd party pretending to be original) are generally crap. I had some bad experience with e.g. fake Nokia batteries: newly purchased, fully charged and not able to even answer a phone call as the phone was switching off. This battery had a good capacity but too high internal resistance, so it couldn't deliver the needed power. A second one from the same source was behaving exactly the same. They are mostly made to fool the buyer, not to provide a reliable 3rd party alternative... If you look for originals, buy only from a reliable source like big store (MediaMarkt, Amazon... etc.) or official distribution channels (Canon stores). Avoid eBay -- you never know what you'll get.

- 3rd party asian cheapo: random, buy at your own risk but it doesn't necessarily need to be bad. I would not buy blind, without reading reviews anymore. But if many reviews from buyers are available and good: surely yes.

I gave LP-E6 from Probty a try (bought over Aliexpress, directly from China) as they had very good reviews and a set of 2 batteries + USB charger, which I wanted to purchase anyway, cost $30 together. I can absolutely recommend them. Similar to Duracell: they hold only a bit shorter than the original one but are absolutely reliable, including a proper work of the charge level indicator. Actually they work surprisingly long showing 1% of charge remaning but this is better than the other way round. :) I don't know how about aging as they are less than 1 year old. But hey, they cost 1/8th of the original and so far are very good...

In the past I bought some random asian cheapo in a local store for my 450D and it was a total crap -- battery was empty after ~50 shots. I returned it the next day and the seller threw it to his trash box. There was already a pile of these batteries inside... No comments.

My second hand EOS M came with one original and one no-name LP-E12. This one is significantly worse than the original (lasts maybe 60% of the original one? just a feeling) but still not bad. Indicator works reliably. I use it without complaining.

My wife uses 3rd party batteries from www.trade-shop-online.de for her Pentax K3. These are asian made with their own branding. She doesn't complain.

Quote from: togg on January 30, 2019, 04:55:31 PM
They look like originals sadly. My question is, do third party or original shuts down on you before 0%?
This is typically a sign of a high internal resistance: the battery has a pretty high voltage under low load but the voltage drops when current consumption of the load increases. There are three possibilities: either the battery is of a very poor quality (counterfeit), extremely exploited (several hundreds of charging cycles) or mistreated (e.g. stored empty over extended periods of time -- months, years). It's not normal, even for good 3rd party batteries.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

togg

Quote from: ArcziPL on January 30, 2019, 06:53:57 PM
This is typically a sign of a high internal resistance: the battery has a pretty high voltage under low load but the voltage drops when current consumption of the load increases. There are three possibilities: either the battery is of a very poor quality (counterfeit), extremely exploited (several hundreds of charging cycles) or mistreated (e.g. stored empty over extended periods of time -- months, years). It's not normal, even for good 3rd party batteries.

It is so weird... I'm having this problem with both Patona premium batteries and two supposed original ones from ebay... I don't know how it is possible...

ArcziPL

Do you have any battery behaving different, i.e. as you would expect?

Quote from: togg on January 30, 2019, 04:53:59 AM
a couple supposed original from ebay

Do they have different serial numbers (to be checked in camera menu; it's somewhere in a battery management). If all are same, they are guaranteed counterfeits.

Quote from: togg on January 30, 2019, 04:53:59 AM
they shut down on me way before reaching 0%.
Can you be more precise what "way before reaching 0%" means? Is it 50, 20, 10 or 5%?

Quote from: togg on January 30, 2019, 11:29:45 PM
having this problem with both Patona premium batteries
I've just checked reviews on Amazon and several users report unreliable behaviour of Patona LP-E6. Problems are similar as yours: indicator jumping up&down, evel rapidly to 0%. After shutting the camera off, removing and insterting the battery again jumping back to 40% and working further. So, it seems Patonas are just like that.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

togg

Quote from: ArcziPL on January 30, 2019, 11:37:25 PM
Do you have any battery behaving different, i.e. as you would expect?

Do they have different serial numbers (to be checked in camera menu; it's somewhere in a battery management). If all are same, they are guaranteed counterfeits.
Can you be more precise what "way before reaching 0%" means? Is it 50, 20, 10 or 5%?
I've just checked reviews on Amazon and several users report unreliable behaviour of Patona LP-E6. Problems are similar as yours: indicator jumping up&down, evel rapidly to 0%. After shutting the camera off, removing and insterting the battery again jumping back to 40% and working further. So, it seems Patonas are just like that.

Yea, seems like my two original ones keep up until 0%... I hate myself so much for selling my original battery with my old 5dmark2 :P
They usually shuts down around 40% with a yellow indicator. I didn't know about the serial number thing!! I've checked... they match :// Damn, such good counterfeits, only the blue colour is very slightly different from the originals. I'll ask for a complete refund, I guess I'll have to buy an expensive original, damnit.