ML'd 5D Mk III for narrative filmmaking

Started by Guanto, January 29, 2019, 09:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guanto

I was seconds from pulling the trigger on Blackmagic when I realized, in the final hours here, why not risk the brick and give her a shot.

However I soon discovered the forums (and youtube) are a wealth, but overwhelming.

As of 2019...

• Where is the best information for install/user. The most intuitive links I followed all state the info is outdated up top.

• Also, is there a place that simply lists all of the currently available recording formats/codecs/specs in their entirety? Like I can't even find anything that unequivocally states you can still record 14bit raw uncompressed in 1920 x 1080 (probably buried under all of the 4K hub-bub).

• Lastly has anyone ever put together a real world set-up guide/video on specifically optimizing the ML'd 5D MK iii for narrative filmmaking? I remember way back when I first got my 5D La Foret or Hurlbut or someone had a comprehensive "let's make movies" specific blog that went over what settings to use, things to turn on and off I never new existed, and general in the field tidbits. It was priceless to me getting started, and I found myself yearning for something similar since adding ML into the mix makes things more complex.

Thanks.

p.s.

As an aside, one specific thing off the top that is irking me is what the mlv raw footage actually looks like out of the camera. Not flat like the footage right out of say an Arri or even 5D cinestyle. Is what I am seeing out there simply what any given NLE is interpreting DNG to look like and then from there you have to assign it a log format to begin correcting/grading in? Not sure why this part of the flow is bugging me, but it is, so any insight appreciated.

Kharak

If you set up the 5d3 for "normal" raw recording, in my opinion it is optimized for narrative. You cant get TC out anyways, so there is not much hocus pocus "optimizing" it for narrative work. Optimizing for narrative work with the 5d3 is more about preparations around the camera like with any camera.

I recommend Firmware version 1.2.3 for clean hdmi output.

The modules you need: Mlv_rec, mlv_play, Mlv_snd, File manager. Or if you are a familiar with ML then I recommend 22. July experimental build for lossless 14 bit, which will require some other modules loaded.

Set raw recording on, resolution 1920x1080 (mlv vanilla, continues)) with lossless 14 bit set to 1920x1280 for extra space of reframing.

Set fps override to Exact FPS at 23,976/24.000/25.000 (your preference)
set your Shutter Fine-tuning to get 180 degree shutter. E.g. 24.000 fps set shutter fine tuning to 0.86 for 1/48th.

Make sure mlv_sound is on

Turn on Raw Zebras (must have)

Dont use the waveform unless you shoot h264.

An external recorder is necesseary for direct playback on set, if you dont have one then a laptop with Mlvrawviewer for vanilla MLV's or FastCinemaDnG for lossless mlv real-time playback. Also MLV app is good for a checkup on files, but it does not have real-time playback.

About DNG look, it is all about interpretation in your preferred NLE/grading sofware. I recommend Davinci Resolve.

Typing on phone so this is getting tediously long, let me know if you have more questions.
once you go raw you never go back

olofen

Quote from: Kharak on January 30, 2019, 10:27:20 AM
If you set up the 5d3 for "normal" raw recording, in my opinion it is optimized for narrative. You cant get TC out anyways, so there is not much hocus pocus "optimizing" it for narrative work. Optimizing for narrative work with the 5d3 is more about preparations around the camera like with any camera.

I recommend Firmware version 1.2.3 for clean hdmi output.

The modules you need: Mlv_rec, mlv_play, Mlv_snd, File manager. Or if you are a familiar with ML then I recommend 22. July experimental build for lossless 14 bit, which will require some other modules loaded.

Set raw recording on, resolution 1920x1080 (mlv vanilla, continues)) with lossless 14 bit set to 1920x1280 for extra space of reframing.

Set fps override to Exact FPS at 23,976/24.000/25.000 (your preference)
set your Shutter Fine-tuning to get 180 degree shutter. E.g. 24.000 fps set shutter fine tuning to 0.86 for 1/48th.

Make sure mlv_sound is on

Turn on Raw Zebras (must have)

Dont use the waveform unless you shoot h264.

An external recorder is necesseary for direct playback on set, if you dont have one then a laptop with Mlvrawviewer for vanilla MLV's or FastCinemaDnG for lossless mlv real-time playback. Also MLV app is good for a checkup on files, but it does not have real-time playback.

About DNG look, it is all about interpretation in your preferred NLE/grading sofware. I recommend Davinci Resolve.

Typing on phone so this is getting tediously long, let me know if you have more questions.
"An external recorder is necesseary for direct playback on set"
Just a small question from a swedish filmmaker: Is there a plain recorder without screen to be found within a reasonable price range?
/olof [emoji846]

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

Kharak

once you go raw you never go back

dia3olik

Quote from: Kharak on January 30, 2019, 10:27:20 AMTyping on phone so this is getting tediously long, let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks! This is actually a really nice condensed tips list! ;-)

Much appreciated really! Please share if you come up with other tips!