From CR2 or DNG to MLV?

Started by michael84, January 29, 2019, 11:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael84

I am wondering wether it is possible to convert CR2 odr DNG pictures back to MLV? I would like to try darkframe subtraction on regular pictures, but so far the only way to do this seems to be using Rawtherapee, however, i would rather use Adobe Lightroom. Also, i would need to average dakrframes taken in photo mode, which cannot be done by MLV dump. My idea would be to take my CR2 files, convert them to DNG with the Adobe converter, make an MLV file out of DNGs photographed with the same settings (shutter speed, ISO, same event) and subtract a matching averaged darkframe from this MLV, then export back to DNGs, which would be edited as usual in Lightroom.

In short - use the same workflow possible now with MLVs also for stills. Capturing to MLV via fullres silent pics is not feasible for most of my work, since i cannot use a flash in this mode.

Would it be possible to have a "reverse mlv_dump", which takes DNGs und makes an MLV out of them?

Kharak

You can do Darkframe averaging with CR2 in Rawtherapee

Also flat field subtraction
once you go raw you never go back

sines

*Bump*

Posted a similar question in Raw Video, I would love to know if this is possible.
Director | DoP | Creative Director
Arri Alexa · Arri IIC · Arritechno 35-90 · Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 6K · Canon 5D MKIII · DJI Focus, Matrice 600, Inspire 2, Ronin, Ronin-MX · Zeiss Standard Speeds · Zeiss Superspeed Contax Primes

sines

I tried that and got "The action 'Run Shell Script' encountered an error: 'Couldn't posix_spawn: error7'"

Also tried MLVApp > File > Transcode & Import. These files will read in Resolve, but won't correctly reimport into MLV app.

1.8GB zip of 1st trouble sequence is here in case you want to give it a whirl: :-*
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/196HT56sC307IivSI36qgL2LFq4zreSgk?usp=sharing

Arri Alexa · Arri IIC · Arritechno 35-90 · Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 6K · Canon 5D MKIII · DJI Focus, Matrice 600, Inspire 2, Ronin, Ronin-MX · Zeiss Standard Speeds · Zeiss Superspeed Contax Primes

Danne

Set default to bash in terminal:
chsh -s /bin/bash
hit enter then restart terminal. Now try the app again.

No files shared in your folder. It´s enough if you upload one file by the way.
There is also a possibilty that your sequence exceeds some amount limit. I think around 5000 dng files are maximum. And I notice you tried already in mlv app which uses the same raw2mlv binary from Ilia3201 that I am using.

sines

Uploaded 200 DNGs files here
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10216M0f-Bcvr2sYx1ORM07B80mmxwHd5?usp=sharing

This sequence is 2300 frames. Most sequences are less than 5000 frames. I am comfortable running a shell version of this, but can't compile, nor use brew tap https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App
because there there's no Homebrew command for it that I can see.

Got the same Posix spawn error 7 with this:
Quote from: Danne on August 14, 2020, 05:12:13 AM
Set default to bash in terminal:
chsh -s /bin/bash
hit enter then restart terminal. Now try the app again.

sines

So here is my extremely ugly work around.

I split the folders up into subfolders using this "split files.sh" script:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29116212/split-a-folder-into-multiple-subfolders-in-terminal-bash-script

Usage: bash splitfiles.bash $PWD/directoryoffiles splitsize

Which for me looks like
scaleMP:~ sines$ bash split_files.sh /Volumes/Interval_wane/Wane_DNGs/M28-1609 1000

I then have 2-5 folders of 1000 DNGs each.

I launched MLV App 1.11, using File > Transcode and Import [aka raw2mlv] and reimported the folders, one by one as there is currently no provision to select multiple folders at once, both in MLV App 1.11 and raw2mlv. Would be great if we could!

I use A Simple Finder Rename to then resequence these files back into the correct order by converting the filenames back to the original media, such as M28-1609_0001.dng...M28-1609_2301.dng

Then I have to manually attach the audio back back in synch at the start of the clip in Resolve.

I am sure there's a prettier way to do it, but this seems to work.

Danne; Is there a way to use your raw2mlv script via command line — and recursively convert subfolders in a folder to correctly labeled MLVs?

Danne

Yes of course. Did you test my latest version by the way?
All scripts lies directly in contents folder inside the app. Very basic multiprocessing routine. You should be able to figure something out.