linear gamma in resolve and mlvapp

Started by 70MM13, January 28, 2019, 03:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70MM13

this is why i keep asking for receipt slots.

it's really helpful to be able to quickly compare different versions of a grade on a tricky shot.  it's the feature that i like best in resolve.  alt + 1-8 to store, ctrl + 1-8 to recall.  i use it constantly.

i know that it is very difficult to implement, but i wonder if it would be any easier to have a "second version" for the currently loaded clip.  not a receipt, per se, just another version of the settings for each clip.  in resolve this is ctrl y ;)

muscle memory :P

70MM13

While grading in resolve with linear gamma, I just ran into a clip that simply could not get the shadows lifted enough, so I loaded it into mlvapp and it worked perfectly and easily gave the right results.

So I went back to resolve to try to find out what's different...

I had to switch the colourspace from linear to rec709 to get it in the same ballpark, while keeping linear gamma.

Is this what's happening in mlvapp?  When you select "linear", is it really linear, including colourspace?

PS: whatever you're doing, it works, and I love it!

:)

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ilia3101

Yes it's linear. I just did a small test to make sure (changes in processing profiles could have affected it, but no).

70MM13

that's great to know, thanks!

lately there's a lot more magic happening with magic lantern.  it's awesome!

maybe one day soon we should do some sort of film together, as a community effort.

just an idea that popped into my head...

ilia3101

Quote from: 70MM13 on February 01, 2019, 09:41:06 PM
maybe one day soon we should do some sort of film together, as a community effort.

just an idea that popped into my head...

I agree