Recover .DAT movie file from camera?

Started by lizard™, January 16, 2019, 06:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lizard™

So I was recording movie with ML installed when my camera just restarted itself. Reason being is the battery grip is from Meike and even though I like everything else about it, touch the battery caddy too rough and the contact which verifies it's closed (same mechanism as the SD slot lid for example) comes loose, shutting off the camera.

Now I'm with a 3GB .DAT file instead of the wanted .MOV file. I thought this wouldn't be a big deal since probably just some codec information or whatever was missing but after being not able to restore anything with ffmpeg on Linux and not finding anything but a paid service on Google, I'm quite scared.

Is there any feature in ML which allows for encoding of a .DAT file? I don't think it can be that hard since all the movie data is there and I'm guessing all one had to do is tell the camera to process this file as if you'd just stopped recording it?

Any other Linux tool or software would help too, doesn't have to be in ML or in-camera.

Thanks for any help.

srsa

Try recover_mp4. It's a Windows command-line utility, also runs on Linux with Wine.

lizard™

Quote from: srsa on January 16, 2019, 06:40:10 PM
Try recover_mp4. It's a Windows command-line utility, also runs on Linux with Wine.

Thank you. So much. Saved me a very valuable memory. Thank you.