Using Magic Lantern > Raw Video

Does resolve work for magic lantern raw?

(1/5) > >>

Kyle Kearns:
I normally do my color correction/grading in lightroom because that's what I know best, but recently started to tinker with resolve.....I noticed that when I tried to bring up the exposure or play with the highlights or shadows it reacts like a crappy jpeg photo. It seems like there's no depth to the image whatsoever.

Could I be doing something wrong or is resolve just not as good at handling raw files?

I've been importing the dng files through the media browser in the program and I've also tried dragging them from the folder.

IDA_ML:
Of course!  And this is the fastest and easiest workflow.  All you need to do is convert your MLV files into folders with DNG files using MLVApp or MLVFS and you are ready to open them with Resolve.  Then use the Camera RAW module to process your clips in a way very similar to ACR.  Watch the Parade meter and do not overprocess your files.  Also, when filming, make sure you expose to the right without blowing up the highlights.  In that way you will get stunning video quality.

Enjoy!

Dmytro_ua:

--- Quote from: Kyle Kearns on January 19, 2019, 06:08:22 AM ---I normally do my color correction/grading in lightroom because that's what I know best, but recently started to tinker with resolve.....

--- End quote ---

At first I thought almost the same as you are. But then I've got to know Resolve better and I can assure you, that you can get almost identical color grading with Resolve, ACR/Lightroom, MLVApp.

To make it easier, I've made a reference color grading in ACR and then started to match it in Resolve (then also did the same with MLV App).
IMHO, the first thing is to choose Color Space: Blackmagic Design in Resolve's Camera Raw settings. I tried REC.709, but the colors are weird and it is really hard to match with that color space. So, for me, Color Space: Blackmagic Design - is a way to go.
Then, in Camera RAW check:
- WB
- Tint
- Exposure (even if it looks ok in ACR, in Davinci I always make +1.18-1.2 exposure). I think there is some difference in calibration.
- Sharpness: 10 - this is a default sharpness , if I'm not wrong, Resolve's 10 = 0 in other programs. If you change it to 0, you actually make it "minus". So 10 - is a good start.
- other settings can stay by default. You can get back to them anytime later (if you need).

Then, move to Color Wheels. You'll need to pump up some saturation, a little bit of contrast. Try to learn how "Nodes" work. All Curves windows, Qualifier, Windows (Masks), etc. It's not hard. Watch some tutorials on youtube.

g3gg0:
using Davinci Resolve with mlvfs and it works quite well.
sometimes mlvfs had problems loading some frames, but that was just a temporary issue.

so i can recommend this combination as it saves you the conversion effort / space.

Dmytro_ua:

--- Quote from: g3gg0 on January 19, 2019, 03:40:39 PM ---using Davinci Resolve with mlvfs and it works quite well.

--- End quote ---

What is the best workflow of mlvfs on a PC?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version