Improvement for "Compare Images"

Started by Marsu42, August 24, 2012, 11:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

I just remembered why I almost never use the "Compare Images" feature (next to the thumb-breaking SET+Wheel :-)), maybe an improvement is possible?

1. When I use it, it's at 100% zoom to see which exposure is sharper. But since *handheld* exposures always have a shift, I never can compare the same element (like the eye of an animal where the focus is supposed to be). Is it possible to add the ability to shift one part of the split screen around to get the correct part on screen? As it is now, using the directional keys after initiating "Compare Images" quits the split screen immediately.

2. The diagonal split seems a bit awkward to me, an option to do a clear vertical split into left & right would make more sense to me personally.

a1ex

5D3 has it, exactly as you describe it.

It's not easy to implement; if it can be done, there will be a lot of flicker when moving one image.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on August 30, 2012, 11:40:37 AM
5D3 has it, exactly as you describe it. It's not easy to implement; if it can be done, there will be a lot of flicker when moving one image.

Then it's time for me to save for a 5d3 :-o ... but this proves that if even Canon think it's useful it might be a good idea to give it to the rest of us, too. Personally I don't expect super-smooth scrolling, but if it works at all it would make compare images much more useful for 1:1.

Well, as always it's up to you to decide how much work it'll consume and what priorities to set. But maybe at some point when you've collected lots of possible feature requests you could do a poll to get some user/supporter feedback on how much demand there is.