DIGIC 8 'PowerShot' development (M50, SX70, SX740)

Started by dfort, April 21, 2018, 04:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeakestLinkForNow

Donating my budget for the bmpcc 8k and the canon c300 so I can have canon m50 raw 5k with 14bit and auto focus stacking in 1080p. =p

anykill

How is going the development?
Is there any place to follow the dev?
Thank you

Walter Schulz

It makes no sense to ask every few weeks. It should be totally sufficient to check here twice or thrice a year. "To check", not "to post".

WeakestLinkForNow

This is so crazy when I'm on the verge of selling my EOS M50 and keeping the EOS M......MLV is a complete beast that makes this so mind blowing to me. I really thought the 4k mode was going to be sharp enough to get me away from the M until I could save up for the r6 but it's definitely not.

Very crazy that I'm 2 video comparisons away from selling the EOS m50.

ZEEK

The M50 4K isn't the best in the field, definitely not...better off with an Xt30/XT3, G9 or A6400 for good 4K Quality at a low price.

But yeah, the EOS M is Magic with Raw, the colour pop you get with 14-bit is amazing. Great cam 🎥😎👌
EOS M

anykill

Canon should support the developers, they make the cameras sell even more with this "hacks".
And not everyone will use, the pros with budget will buy the expensive ones.
Cant wait to try any build if has one!

a1ex

Quote from: srsa on May 16, 2020, 05:05:44 PM
Simple and slow dumper script for cameras with Powershot-legacy (EOS M, PowerShot). It works on at least one model. Whether Canon intends to keep scripting is to be found out.

Confirmed working on M50. Very cool!

anykill

Quote from: a1ex on September 02, 2020, 07:04:35 AM
Confirmed working on M50. Very cool!

As I  dont undestand nothing about it...
This will help the development?

Thank you for the hard work of developers!

WeakestLinkForNow

WeakestLinkForNow

=O what's going on here? I read it and it looked like they are moving straight to Digix X instead.

names_are_hard

It's a volunteer project.  People work on whatever they find fun or interesting, or on whatever cam they have.

Sténo

Quote from: Greg on April 26, 2020, 05:04:03 PM
M50 1.0.2 - manual silent shutter (M, Av, Tv, P) also works in continuous mode :

THUMB_FN(0xE053607E, GUI_SetSilentShutter)

#define SilentShutter_OFF           0x0
#define SilentShutter_ON            0x1

extern int GUI_SetSilentShutter(int);
GUI_SetSilentShutter(SilentShutter_ON);

30s - 1/4000s - OK
Bulb - ERR70

Hello !

Do you need coding skills to install this feature on the m50 ?

ziko500

Quote from: Sténo on October 20, 2020, 11:13:02 AM

Hello !

Do you need coding skills to install this feature on the m50 ?

I would love to know too !!
This with an intervalometer mode ooooh 🔥🔥🔥

Cattitude

Quote from: Greg on April 26, 2020, 05:04:03 PM
M50 1.0.2 - manual silent shutter (M, Av, Tv, P) also works in continuous mode :

THUMB_FN(0xE053607E, GUI_SetSilentShutter)

#define SilentShutter_OFF           0x0
#define SilentShutter_ON            0x1

extern int GUI_SetSilentShutter(int);
GUI_SetSilentShutter(SilentShutter_ON);

30s - 1/4000s - OK
Bulb - ERR70

Hi! Could somebody please help me get this code posted by Greg running or at least point me into right direction? I basically understand what his code does, but I have no idea, where to actually place it.

I'm familiar with coding, know C, can orient in ASM, even know some ARM basics. I understand canon basic scripts can be used on M50 and I've already tried ROM dumper with success. I guess running his code however requires different approach, similar to running ML, which involves cloning some repo, modifying it and compiling it? At this point I'm just guessing, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

names_are_hard

From Greg's post a few down from the one you quote: "I compiled this code in digic6-dumper branch".  You can get that branch from Heptapod repo.  Greg hasn't been very forthcoming with what other changes would be needed to get this compiling and working - I think you'll need to ask him.

If you need more help with getting ML building, there are many old threads, or you could join the Discord.

kraken

FOR GODS SAKE!   Someone remove the April Fools Post!!!  I fell for it, yes I'm stupid.  I bought the M50 because I want to install ML on it.  I've been reading this forum for weeks trying to find ANY information that could put me on the right path.  I don't know if "Fishy***" build is real or fake.  All the links that go to anything that offer "hope" are broken.   I'm losing my mind!)@#*.  Can someone just set the record straight?  Does anything work on the M50?  If so, where is the file. 

Thank you for saving my sanity.

Walter Schulz

names_are_hard

The Fishy build is effectively a work-in-progress, available in binary only, no source code.  I don't have an M50 but I understand it is incomplete and not very useful.

anykill

Hi, just to keep the topic alive.
We have any news?
Thank you, my english is not the best, thats why I didnt make a very polite text!
eheh

Walter Schulz

Most dev talk do happen on ML's unofficial discord server. And nothing big to report for M50 and nothing at all for SX70 and SX740.
I think it would be a good idea to watch a1ex' twitter account www.twitter.com/autoexec_bin for news. He keeps track of things worth to write home about. No need to look here every 3 months or so ...

a1ex

Quote from: anykill on December 18, 2020, 10:14:44 PM
Thank you, my english is not the best, thats why I didnt make a very polite text!

It's not about the language, but the attitude. Even if you wrote in your native language, your message would have been just as rude. Such behavior is one of the reasons I had to take a long break from contributing, and to stop posting updates. I'm still affected by this bug, and it won't be fixed overnight. Sorry.

From the forum rules:
Quote from: Francis on April 29, 2012, 07:42:44 PM
-Do not bump topics by posting replies that do not further the discussion.

From the FAQ:
Quote from: https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#any_progress_on_xyz
Any progress on XYZ?

If you can't find anything about it in the relevant forum thread, it's safe to assume there was none.
[...]
If you don't have the right skills, asking this question will only serve to annoy those who might have them. Doing some research about XYZ and sharing your findings would be much better - this may encourage others to take a look at it.

And you kept doing this after being told to stop multiple times :(

I don't want to encourage such behavior, but... well... I might soon have news. Not specific to M50, but for the entire ML project in general. We might be able to launch a fundraising campaign soon, without worrying anymore about the legal aspects, and that would allow me to resume the development.

So, I've started to think about providing a way to allow such kind of "bumps" - it would be called a "support contract" edit: nope, bad behaviors won't be allowed, no matter how much you might pay ;)

davvore33

Guys, did someone tryied a1ex version of MagicLanter on an update to 1.1.0v firmware Canon M50? how was the experience in case?

thanks

anykill

Mate, where can I find informations about this build?
thanks

names_are_hard

There is no available build for the M50.

Please stop asking.  It is annoying.  There will be updates if a build is available, you don't need to ask.