DIGIC 8 'PowerShot' development (M50, SX70, SX740)

Started by dfort, April 21, 2018, 04:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Photonob

Hello! I'm new here and I can see that there isn't a full version of ML for EOS M50.

I have this camera and I want to know how can I help.

Thanks.

Walter Schulz

If you are fluent in C, Assembler and reverse engineering embedded devices (ARM preferred) and have several hundred hours of spare time you may want to chat with the devs.
If not: Consider to learn those skills. If *you* are not doing it, why should anybody?

Photonob

I thought that maybe I could help like betatester or simillar. Giving feedback.

Walter Schulz

If you start to learn now we may have a beta around 2023.
Because if someone listened 2 years ago we may have an alpha now.

c_joerg

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 20, 2020, 05:10:32 PM
If you start to learn now we may have a beta around 2023.
Because if someone listened 2 years ago we may have an alpha now.
Is that an optimistic estimate?
I probably would have the skills but not the time.
Maybe one first project when I retire in 10 years...
EOS R

kitor

QuoteWhat does this mean? Is it a good new?

That's why I suggested some time ago to replace "Magic Lantern Rescue" header with different string, at least for new developments where there's no real ML build - as this may suggest otherwise. Not that I experienced it when posted similar shots for EOS R on twitter  ;).

"Custom code test" would get people a little less excited.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

Greg

M50 1.0.2 - 7 frames exposure bracketing

THUMB_FN(0xE04E05BE, GUI_SetCFnBktSheetsData)

#define BktSheets3                  0x3
#define BktSheets5                  0x5
#define BktSheets7                  0x7

extern int GUI_SetCFnBktSheetsData(int);
GUI_SetCFnBktSheetsData(BktSheets7);

Greg

M50 1.0.2 - manual silent shutter (M, Av, Tv, P) also works in continuous mode :

THUMB_FN(0xE053607E, GUI_SetSilentShutter)

#define SilentShutter_OFF           0x0
#define SilentShutter_ON            0x1

extern int GUI_SetSilentShutter(int);
GUI_SetSilentShutter(SilentShutter_ON);

30s - 1/4000s - OK
Bulb - ERR70

Danne

Are you publishing documented code or is that even code modified and used on the camera?

Greg

These few lines of code modify properties, unlock features that the M50 doesn't have in the Canon menu.

Danne

Yes, I see. And also c-code. Are you working your own branch?

Greg

I compiled this code in digic6-dumper branch. This is not ML, but 2 features with which the M50 is more useful.

kuchka94

Quote from: Greg on April 26, 2020, 11:36:55 PM
I compiled this code in digic6-dumper branch. This is not ML, but 2 features with which the M50 is more useful.
maybe there is something to turn on Dual Pixel AF in 4k mode? M6 ii and 90D with Digic 8 have this DPAF, so it can be locked in our firmware

Greg

The M50 sensor is too slow to do this. You need 2x more data to read a dual pixel. So maybe at 10-15 FPS?
At the current stage of development, we should not think about such advanced features.

71m363nd3r

Quote from: Greg on May 05, 2020, 02:33:23 AM
The M50 sensor is too slow to do this. You need 2x more data to read a dual pixel. So maybe at 10-15 FPS?
At the current stage of development, we should not think about such advanced features.

But for sure FHD with DAF could be possible.

finnschmolke

Hello guys, I'm still new here, but would like to try Magic Lantern on my M50, unfortunately I installed version 1.0.3. Can I downgrade the version to 1.0.1 or 1.0.2? Does anybody have experiences with it?

Best regards

LevV

Quote from: finnschmolke on May 05, 2020, 04:26:35 PM
Hello guys, I'm still new here, but would like to try Magic Lantern on my M50, unfortunately I installed version 1.0.3. Can I downgrade the version to 1.0.1 or 1.0.2? Does anybody have experiences with it?

Best regards

TBH looks like we'd have to wait until the devs have had time to look into a fix to downgrade. As of now some guys are obviously working on the m50 code but they are far from the looking into a fix if the m50 downgrade ability has truly been locked at 1.0.3. With all the other cameras running ML, all attention is apparently focused on getting stable builds for those cameras.

If it makes you feel better, I too own an m50 on v1.0.3. I too am unable to downgrade. I too want to try out ML but the only code for this camera is not even a complete build. I'm not sure if I want to sell this thing and get something older, attempt to compile a code of my own (dangerous) or just be patient and await for an official port of ML on m50.

After all, I love this camera. I love the footprint, build quality & internals. I think it would be a monster of a camera when the time comes. In regards downgrade options, I have not yet found one that works. I've tried every available lead :'(

Walter Schulz

LevV

Yes that one as well. Which reminds me, I need to upload that video of me attempting the downgrade. Like I mentioned in a different thread: my m50 utilize wireless EOS utility. You can connect via usb "but" you can not write/alter the mounted card. Not sure if this is something that canon is beginning to implement in their new FW.

Ascari10

Hey guys,

I wanted to check with you if you could possibly recommend any courses from Udemy etc to get started working on magic lantern and ARM programming etc.
This has been a dream for me to study for the last few years and I am really afraid that if I dont approach this in the right manner, I may quit by being overwhelmed.

names_are_hard

I can't give you specific courses because I don't know them.  Here's a skill list:
- C (not C++, you'll find some people use the terms interchangeably)
- ARM assembly, some ARM variant that has Thumb instructions
- Practical ARM hardware knowledge.  I am very weak in this area so cannot give you good advice
- IDA Pro or Ghidra.  Ghidra is free, IDA is expensive.  Probably the state of tutorials and books is better for IDA, but still okay for Ghidra and will improve over time.

Assuming you're starting from nothing, it will take several months to get good at C.  Let's say another month to get good enough at assembly.  A few weeks to get okay with IDA or Ghidra.

You can start building ML for yourself and running it on a supported camera with very little C knowledge (a day or two to learn how building an existing project works).  That would let you experiment in some limited ways.

heder

Quote from: Ascari10 on May 09, 2020, 07:41:29 AM
Hey guys,

I wanted to check with you if you could possibly recommend any courses from Udemy etc to get started working on magic lantern and ARM programming etc.
This has been a dream for me to study for the last few years and I am really afraid that if I dont approach this in the right manner, I may quit by being overwhelmed.

My 2 cents.

Learning C and assembly is like learning new languages, like Spanish or English, in the begining its going to be difficult, but when you understand the structure and sematic of the langage it's going to be fun.

I started programming basic on a commondor 16 back around 1986, and ended up becomming a programmer, and now with 30+ years of programming, my best advcie to you is buy an arduino nano or uno (both are arm processors) and install the arduino software. It's going to be fun, you'll beable to experiment and practice your c-skill right away, and keeping fun in the picture is pretty important.

I can not recommand any cources, I did take a look. I would suggest starting with some online youtube videos. There is big difference between wishing (as in hobby) or must (due to school,jobs) to learn c and assembly language. If you want to learn@hobby remeber always to take the fun path, otherwise it can be very boring. In fact most c programming is boring until you run the code.
... some text here ..