DIGIC 8 'PowerShot' development (M50, SX70, SX740)

Started by dfort, April 21, 2018, 04:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

M50 1/200s ISO 100 - White Level

Exif -  11892

Looking at the raw data:
R - 16383
G - 15500 safe limit for my camera
B - 16383

Green channel clipping 15750 :

???

Greg

M50 bit depth

Single - 14-bit
Continuous Low - 12-bit?
Continuous High - 12-bit?

Histograms (single, continuous low, continuous high) :

If you want to use 14-bit exposure bracketing, you need to quickly press the shutter button, continuous modes are not 14-bit.

71m363nd3r

Intresting...
How did you test it?
Just curious.

Greg

These histograms show dark frames (lens cap photography).
Look at the histogram and you'll see the missing bits. It looks like 12-bit converted to 14-bit.

c_joerg

Quote from: Greg on July 26, 2019, 10:31:08 PM
M50 bit depth

Single - 14-bit
Continuous Low - 12-bit?
Continuous High - 12-bit?

The manual says that the data for continuous recordings are converted into 12 bits...
EOS R

Walter Schulz

Do you have a link to said manual? It's embarrasing but all I can find online is a manual resembling a pre-school children book.

c_joerg

EOS R

Walter Schulz

Thanks! Found english "help-guide" here: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0300030642/02/EOS_M50_Help_Guide_EN.pdf and the information about continuous shooting bit-depth on page 88, too.

Greg

M50 - rolling shutter measurements - https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23040.msg208479#msg208479

It looks like we have 3 readout modes :
timer A = 534, timer B = 4061 @ E19EBAC8
timer A = 1064, timer B = 4061 @ E19EBB20
timer A = 772 timer B = 4061 @ E19EBB78

[SHTC] ShutterType(1) ReadOutMode(1) ReleaseType(1) // Manual mode, mechanical shutter
[SHTC] ShutterType(3) ReadOutMode(0) ReleaseType(1) // Silent mode, electronic shutter
[SHTC] ShutterType(1) ReadOutMode(0) ReleaseType(2) // Manual mode, mechanical shutter, AEB continuous

ShutterType(1 - mechanical, 2 - ???, 3 - electronic rolling shutter) // 2- electronic global reset?
ReadOutMode(0 - 12 bit, 1 - 14 bit, 2 - ???)
ReleaseType(1 - ???, 2 - ???)

Quote from: c_joerg on August 04, 2019, 04:37:39 PM
The manual says that the data for continuous recordings are converted into 12 bits...
I didn't know about it.  :o

Greg

Banding correction 200D (M50 also has this problem) before/after :

dpreview

71m363nd3r

Quote from: Greg on August 06, 2019, 12:00:56 AM

The EOS R too, just compared it.

Sapporo

Quote from: Greg on August 06, 2019, 12:00:56 AM

dpreview
Any tutorial how to remove that kind of banding? Or just dark frame substraction?
Quote from: 71m363nd3r on August 07, 2019, 12:03:02 AM
Didn't the latest firmware for EOS R solve that?

Greg

Quote from: 71m363nd3r on August 07, 2019, 12:03:02 AM

EOS R (before/after)

Quote from: Sapporo on August 07, 2019, 02:48:47 PM
Any tutorial how to remove that kind of banding? Or just dark frame substraction?Didn't the latest firmware for EOS R solve that?
I don't know if I should publish this script, maybe I should sell it to Canon?

Sapporo

Quote from: Greg on August 07, 2019, 05:43:05 PM
EOS R (before/after)

I don't know if I should publish this script, maybe I should sell it to Canon?
Is that EOS R with the latest firmware 1.2.0? I saw samples of before/after with big difference. But yes, your script is impressive.
https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=dfenxw0OKbc

RandomSynr

My first post, I am the owner of an M50.  I eagerly await ML for it.  I am trying to read as many posts as possible.

Am I right to say ML for m50 is still experimental?  I will follow these posts for updates and advice.

Cheers

walter_schulz

There is no ML for M50 and don't hold your breath.

RandomSynr

No hope in life, takes out knife and cuts cheese and pours wine...  ;D

well if there is anything that can be done, I'm sure some on may be doing something or maybe just drinking wine and eating cheese

71m363nd3r

Quote from: RandomSynr on August 13, 2019, 05:23:17 AM
No hope in life, takes out knife and cuts cheese and pours wine...  ;D

well if there is anything that can be done, I'm sure some on may be doing something or maybe just drinking wine and eating cheese

Are you willing to donate few bucks ?

dfort

Quote from: walter_schulz on August 12, 2019, 09:50:09 PM
There is no ML for M50 and don't hold your breath.

Well there is this fishy build -- which requires setting the camera boot flag:

Quote from: a1ex on April 01, 2019, 09:55:41 AM
BOOT_M50.FIR (confirmed by 71m363nd3r; works on any Canon firmware version)

This will modify your camera.

Right now I'd really like to unset the camera boot flag because when inserting a card that has ML for another camera on it the M50 just goes into a coma. I'd ask for a FIR file but last time I asked for something--well, I won't ask.

Greg

Quote from: dfort on August 16, 2019, 04:12:57 AM
Right now I'd really like to unset the camera boot flag because when inserting a card that has ML for another camera on it the M50 just goes into a coma.

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17360.msg204747#msg204747

dfort

Thanks Greg, that was easy.

Anyone else who wants to do this make sure you also set CONFIG_BOOT_BOOTFLAG=y

Sisphotos

hello guys! I'm totally new here and I want to install ML on my M50. Can someone step by step explain this to me?
  :)

OlRivrRat

@ DFort & WeEIMC

"when inserting a card that has ML for another camera on it the M50 just goes into a coma"

Should work if You simply "Hide" ML in a "HidingPlace" Folder/Directoy ~

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

safwanck

I am new to all this ML thing, But really want to test out this ML. So today I tested the fishy build on my M50.
The procedure was simple for me, just placed the boot m50.fir into the memory card and updated my firmware from canon menu. After that, I placed the entire fish build into my sd card and by using EOScard made my sd card bootable. Then just booted my camera. And I saw the log getting captured over my display.

And to enter the magic lantern settings, I need to press the delete button, but it didn't take to the ML settings during those presses as much as I need. Then I found that I need to be in video mode to get into ML settings. On video mode, Every press of delete button took me to ML menu.

Also, there is no extra function available on this Fishy build. the modules available are benchmark and self-test modules. Also, the video module in ML menu causes to freeze the camera and the only available option is to remove the battery.

Note guys, I don't know any technical stuff that much right now cause it's my first experience of flashing a custom ROM on Camera. So if any of you guys are free, feel free to let me know about all the technical stuff or at least what I did by flashing that boot m50.fir and how it's going to affect the future of my m50.

Walter Schulz

You set the "boot flag" on your cam. It will now check for a bootable card each time battery hatch is closed and each time the cam is powered up from powersave. If you insert an incompatible card (very, very old EyeFi cards) cam will get stuck. If a bootable card is found it will check for autoexec.bin. If no autoexec.bin is found cam will get stuck. Just don't use bootable cards without autoexec.bin.
You haven't flashed a custom ROM to your card. Your firmware wasn't replaced. ML runs from card, not from NVRAM.

And you may consider not going somewhere without checking the consequences of your actions. Maybe consider asking before doing something if you're unable to check the consequences.
Just saying ...