Nikon Z RAW video

Started by Lars Steenhoff, January 08, 2019, 08:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

Nice, some small steps for raw video to become more mainstream  :)
Now looking at you Canon, what's your reaction, we know you can achieve RAW recording with a firmware update, no need for external recorder  ;D

The Nikon still needs a external recorder to achieve this though  :(
Wonder how it's done, is the raw bayer data being output through HDMI ?

ilia3101

Shame prores raw is not an open standard

Lars Steenhoff

With the CFexpress cards I actually don't see why they only support external raw recording, should be plenty fast enough for internal raw recording.
Pro res raw is only final cut for now, I can only hope there will be some converters to export to other formats but I don't have too much confidence that will happen.

However what is does it mark the new trend for raw video recording in photo cameras and this I very much welcome!

from the press release:
How it works - In simple terms, the camera outputs a stream of RAW data via a 4K HDMI cable to the Ninja V. This data is then repacked into the ProRes RAW format and recorded to a removable SSD drive in the Ninja V. When shooting is finished, the drive is removed and connected to a computer via USB. Footage can then be decoded (debayered) and edited in the highest possible quality. Using ProRes RAW format keeps file sizes manageable, easy to edit and future-proof.

extremelypoorfilmaker

don't get fooled. prores raw is not raw.

ilia3101

Quote from: extremelypoorfilmaker on January 09, 2019, 08:12:54 PM

Is it not?

Quote from: Apple
ProRes RAW directly encodes the Bayer pattern image

How it works - In simple terms, the camera outputs a stream of RAW data via a 4K HDMI cable to the Ninja V.

Maybe there's hope for recording to some usable format with other recorders.

Anyway what's the point of having a camera with stock firmware and nothing more :D

Also would it be possible for a propreitary camera company like nikon to implement MLV recording in their cameras? Or does it go against the license? If so, it should be made possible.

kaco

Quote from: extremelypoorfilmaker on January 09, 2019, 08:12:54 PM

It is in fact. There's also a theoretical chance of build prores raw to DNG convertor, only Apple will never allow this.

Kharak

Prores raw has a lossy compression if my memory serves me right.

I cant find the video, but i saw a comparrison between prores raw and cinemadng raw on the ursa mini pro. The highlight retention was almost a stop higher on cdng.
once you go raw you never go back

Levas

Ok, I was thinking, that it works this way, Nikon streams a raw data image through HDMI.
Like when you put the Nikon in that HDMI raw mode, it shows a undebayered 4K picture over HDMI, all green, blue and red pixels, so real raw video, and the recorder is gonna record that.

Then I came at the 6.00 minute mark in the youtube video above...

Interviewer: Are we gonna get like 12 bit raw video ?
Answer Atomos: Nikon doesn't want to give us the full specs of what the signal through HDMI actually is, so we don't know the exact specs. If it is linear or log. And we're definitely recording 4K or more lines of resolution.

What the ::), if you don't know how many lines of resolution the signal is and if you don't know if it's log or linear, how the ::) can it be an undebayered raw signal ???  ::)
Sounds more like a, (almost) as good as raw solution.