Dual-axis electronic level: Status?

Started by Walter Schulz, January 04, 2019, 06:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

I tried to lookup for this topic but found nothing: Some ML enabled cameras are equipped with dual-axis electronic level but ML only supports single-axis level indicator (7D, at least). Anybody tried to make it run?
Low priority, just asking out of curiosity.

a1ex

The current code discovers this capability on the fly, but doesn't report (or write) it anywhere. On single-axis cameras, Canon code just reports 0 on the second axis. If there is any change on the second axis (pitch), ML indicator will show it as well.

5D3 reports roll and pitch, 60D reports just roll.

6D, 70D: don't remember, sorry.

These values come from the MPU. I remember trying to find where the regular (90-degree) orientation sensor changes its value on 550D, and found a pretty narrow interval, close to 45 degrees. This makes me think the orientation hardware (accelerometer) might be present on all cameras; just the MPU doesn't report it to the main CPU.

Figuring out would require some familiarity with TX19A (DIGIC 4) or SH2A-FPU (guess, DIGIC 5 and newer). Very low priority from my side.

ArcziPL

Unfortunately, it seems to be reserved for the top models only, i.e. 7D, 7D2, 5D3, 5D4, 1D X.

And surprisingly, even Canon mentions it sometimes wrong:
https://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/digital_camera_features/dual_axis_electronic_level.do

Based on screenshots of GUI in 60D manual pages it has apparently a single-axis level, not dual, like wrongly mentioned in this article.

This is really nuts. Just check by chance how it is realized in Pentax K3: far superior to Canon. Both axes are shown on the sides of the viewfinder, in a very readable fashion and along the standard info. The standard tiny icon in the middle of VF is IMO barely visible and hidden fancy ways of indicating the level with AF fields or exposure indicator is... just fancy.My bad with level visibility in viewfinder of K3. It is only in LiveView that nice. Still I find Canon's viewfinder solution barely visible on dark objects.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II