Sea of clouds in 3.5K on EOS 5D Mark III

Started by LoO93, January 02, 2019, 11:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoO93

I finally got my hands on the beast! After my beloved 7D got stolen, I could upgrade to the 5D Mark III since my boss would sell it to me for some overtime work :D

Of course I had to test out the crop_rec experimental build and I have to say that the result is truely amazing. At work we do have the latest RED 8k Helium but the overall result of the 5D on steroids in combination with a good optic and a proper post-production workflow is getting very close to high-standard cinematic cameras! This is just so much fun to shoot with this little beast!!

SPECS:

• shot on the 5D Mark III with a sigma art 35mm and a 64gb Lexar 1066x CF-Card
  • shot in in 3520x1320 in 10bit-lossless at 23,976 fps using the crop_rec module (so I could get around 85mbps continuous recording at that framerate)
  • The files were mounted w/ MLVFS, graded in DaVinci, exported to DNxHR HQX 10bit, edited in Premiere and finally exported to 4K DNxHR HQX 10bit.

I'm sorry for YT's little purple color shift but I hope you guys enjoy it and I'd be glad to get some feedback!

Thanks again to the magic lantern community for being so awesome and making all of this even possible!

JADURCA

@LoO93 love the image quality, as you said, looks very close to a high-standard cinematic camera! How you do to achieve that pro handheld motion for the latest scenes? Like it!

Rob Curd

Some stunning shots!

How long was your record time at those settings? I think I'm right in saying you can drop down to 10 bit lossless but not in other crop modes like 4k etc that's 14bit lossless only?

goldenchild9to5

LoO93

Quote from: JADURCA on January 02, 2019, 05:14:45 PMHow you do to achieve that pro handheld motion for the latest scenes?
Warp Stabilizer on some very low percentage but don't tell anybody :-X

Quote from: Rob Curd on January 02, 2019, 07:32:00 PM
How long was your record time at those settings? I think I'm right in saying you can drop down to 10 bit lossless but not in other crop modes like 4k etc that's 14bit lossless only?
As I mentioned above in the specs, I had continuous recording and I could set the bitdepth down to 10bit-lossless (or maybe it was 11bit-lossless) in the crop_rec module even at that resolution.

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on January 03, 2019, 06:39:54 AM
Great job footage looks awesome.
Well thank you very much!

DeafEyeJedi

Sick work @loO93 - mind sharing which experimental build was used for this project?

Can't get enough of how stunning these Sigma Arts' are!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

LoO93

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on January 08, 2019, 09:37:15 AM
Sick work @loO93 - mind sharing which experimental build was used for this project?

Can't get enough of how stunning these Sigma Arts' are!

Grateful you appreciate it aswell! The build was: crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3123

These Art-Series are indeed high-quality optics! I'm very happy with their results, even in crop mode!! It's even where I get the best out of my 35mm, since it'll "crop out" the very small amount of distortion and vignetting around the edges of the lens. Perfect for the 3.5K resolution :)

CaseClosedTV

Quote from: LoO93 on January 14, 2019, 01:22:51 AM
Grateful you appreciate it aswell! The build was: crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3123

These Art-Series are indeed high-quality optics! I'm very happy with their results, even in crop mode!! It's even where I get the best out of my 35mm, since it'll "crop out" the very small amount of distortion and vignetting around the edges of the lens. Perfect for the 3.5K resolution :)

Apologies for bumping an older thread but how did the live view work in 3.5k? ive been reading around but everyone says its extremely slow and unusable in this mode. Your shots look absolutely stunning to say the least.

yourboylloyd

Looks better than any RED camera I've used
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

DivM

Stunning! I especially like the color balance.

wib

EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

LoO93

Quote from: CaseClosedTV on May 21, 2019, 05:16:34 PM
Apologies for bumping an older thread but how did the live view work in 3.5k? ive been reading around but everyone says its extremely slow and unusable in this mode. Your shots look absolutely stunning to say the least.

Thank you very much for your kind words! I used the plain old canon liveview but before hitting the record button, I half pressed the trigger so I could get the exact framing.
This is very handy for stills but a bit tricky when you wish to add some camera movement, since you won't get a realtime nor framed liveview in crop mode while filming.
So I had to remember the framing, go for it and hope it'll turn out good.

Is this context it was quite practicable, but imagine filming sports or even on some serious productions, this would be way too kamikaze.

I will allow myself to make a wish to the next builds right here since I am also a heavy user of this wonderful piece of software:

I know u guys out there have pushed ML to a state which no one could have thought of and I'm honestly really grateful for that.
The last little tiny thingy I would love, is to be able to use the wonderful crop mode with an accurate liveview while filming.
This would enable so much possibilities and turn those canons into some serious workhorses.
I know it is easy for me to say so, but I'm sure you guys are able to do that since you already made all of this happen!

Nevertheless thanks @wib, @Luther, @DivM, and @yourboylloyd for your nice comments and of course the ML community again for making all of this even possible!