"Focus Stack not completed" Error

Started by Corniger, December 31, 2018, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corniger

Hey there,

I've been shooting macros using ML's focus stacking function for a couple of days now, everything was working fine, now suddenly on a specific subject one single shot is taken, then the cam beeps and ML notifies me the stack wasn't completed. I already tried restarting the camera, to no avail. I've reset the stacking procedure 10 times, always the same result.

Does that error ring a bell? Couldn't find any info except in the ML code online.
Please help, it's critical I get this done, stupid timing on New Year's eve.

a1ex

There were some significant focus backend changes in the lua_fix branch, so please try the experimental build with the same name.

Or, if already using some experimental build, try the main ("unified") one.

Then, let me know which one works better, if any. If none of them is working fine, a video of the issue might help.

Corniger

I'm using the latest build for the 7D https://builds.magiclantern.fm/7D-203.html - practically a fresh install. It worked fine for several days, now suddenly it stops. I'll post a video right away!

I'm sorry, but I can't follow you on the build versions, please don't hate me for asking for a link, I can't make heads or tails of the older builds list...

Corniger

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/RmXyZYDRJWE

edit: you can't see the error message because the external monitor always loses signal between shots. If running on the cam only, it says "focus stack not completed" after the beep. I encountered the same behaviour when the soft limit focus range was reached, but there was no warning on this now.

a1ex

Can you record a video without the external monitor? During that "blue screen", ML might print some messages that are probably erased afterwards. (edit: just read the update).

Experimental builds: on the download page, click on Experiments, then pick the first 7D build from there (lua_fix). If that helps, please report back.

Corniger

Oh, DUH, "Experiments", I'm sorry.

Update: I figured this was the only subject shot from a larger distance than the others, so I flipped the cam into portrait mode and rebuilt the set. Once the subject is closer, as the others were, stacking works normal.

I'll install the fix now.

Corniger

OK, I moved the subject away again to simulate prior conditions. ML now notifies me I've reached the "soft focus limit" instead of "Focus stack not completed", to that seems to have been the problem after all. I still don't understand what the problem is, as I've used the same procedure as always an the subject isn't too close to focus.

I got it - it has to do with the focus range switch on the lens (Canon 100 L IS). I can manually focus where I need to go, but ML can't reproduce it.

Sorry for wasting your time, it works flawlessly now!

a1ex

Interesting, so it's the lens switch that restricts the available focus range, and that also applies to focus commands triggered from software?

While you are at it, I'd like to know whether there's any difference between the two builds (lua_fix vs regular builds), with this particular feature, with your setup. This part of the code depends pretty much on the lenses, so I don't really trust my own tests here.

Corniger

So far, there's absoutely no difference. I've run approximately 30 stacks since yesterday, only the error message was different. I'm still shooting and will be for the rest of the day and evening.

The only off things I've experienced with BOTH builds:

• When installing ML/upgrading firmware, it never finishes, apparently. Once you suspect something's off and push some buttons (Menu, Play etc, I believe), the display turns on again and underneath you get the "Please restart your camera" message
  • Sometimes, after the first picture in a stack, the display turns off and the light keeps flashing/on perpetually. Nothing else happens, unless you press the LV button, then it continues happily.

I'll be glad to do some testing for you guys, as you didn't have any tests on the 7D build, just point me where you need me. As long as you don't ask me to do programming (1+2=4) I'll try to help as good as I can. I know the camera is outdated, but still great for macro work, so I'd love to help out, though I could never compensate for what you guys did for me with ML.

a1ex

1 - can you try film the camera screen? It shouldn't happen...

2 - just a guess, maybe you've got some powersaving options enabled in ML menu? These were not exactly well-tested (at least not by me), and one of these options turns the display off, so...