[Hardware issue?] Canon 7D won't turn on

Started by William Jonker, August 31, 2020, 12:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Jonker

Hi, my name is William. I recently installed Magic Lantern on my Canon 7D knowing that it could ruin it. I've tried taking the battery and the memory card out and putting them back in but nothing seems to work.Is there any way that I can fix this?

Walter Schulz

Remove battery, remove card. Insert battery and close compartment doors. Any LED activity? Does cam startup without card inserted?
If not: Remove battery, insert card, insert battery. Close compartment doors. Any LED activity? Does cam startup with card inserted?

William Jonker

Thanks for your quick response, I tried both suggestions and neither of them worked, there was no led activity. Is there anything else I could try?

Walter Schulz

Not that much.
- Try another battery.
- Check battery compartment door. It has a protruding plastic "nose" matching into a slot where the switch sits. If switch is broken or "nose" is absent cam won't do anything.

You can try replacing autoexec.bin on your ML-enabled card. See first item in https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0
I do not think it will work, though.

William Jonker

It didn't work. Thanks for the help though.

Walter Schulz

Sorry to read that! Hoping not to come around as a fanboy but this kind of failure is most likely unrelated to ML. My first 7D went dead because of a loose screw. Well, motorbike vibrations and precision mechanics ...