Focus Features and Third-Party Lenses

Started by Zaphod, August 22, 2012, 07:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaphod

Hello!
I once read about a case where installing Magic Lantern with a third-party battery grip attached caused problems for the camera (this was on a much older build, possibly a year ago).

I know that Magic Lantern has been thoroughly tested with cameras, but has tests ever been done to see if the added focus features affect lens firmware in any way? Especially that of third-party lenses.

I understand that lenses have firmware just as camera bodies do. I once had to send my Sigma Lens in to have the firmware reset as it's focusing mechanism was behaving incorrectly. Can using the Magic Lantern focus features mess with our third-party lenses (especially since they're not the same as Canon's own lenses or accessories)?

nanomad

Focus as in rack/stack focus? I don't think so, unless the lens has some kind of bug in the firmware.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Quote. Can using the Magic Lantern focus features mess with our third-party lenses (especially since they're not the same as Canon's own lenses or accessories)?

If the camera could write to lens memory it would be a feature. We could fix all of those sigma lenses with outdated AF, esp ones they don't have parts for.

Quotebut has tests ever been done to see if the added focus features affect lens firmware in any way

The only thing I worry about is AF motor/xSM vibrator giving out with all of the constant moving. But T4i with movie AF does the exact same thing.... canon doesn't seem too worried about it.

Zaphod

Quote from: nanomad on August 22, 2012, 07:11:30 PM
Focus as in rack/stack focus? I don't think so, unless the lens has some kind of bug in the firmware.

Thank you! I've since greyed out the focus features just to be on the safe side, but I'll slowly start to use them one by one and see if there is any unexpected behaviour.

Quote from: 1% on August 22, 2012, 08:25:52 PM
If the camera could write to lens memory it would be a feature. We could fix all of those sigma lenses with outdated AF, esp ones they don't have parts for.

The only thing I worry about is AF motor/xSM vibrator giving out with all of the constant moving. But T4i with movie AF does the exact same thing.... canon doesn't seem too worried about it.

Good point! If the third-party lenses are made well, they should be ready too.

Apparently it IS possible to install lens firmware from the camera body - this is possible with Canon's latest EOS bodies (5D mkIII and t4i / 650D). If the camera can manipulate the lens software, this could even lead to some awesome features in Magic Lantern!
Here's an article that mentions the ability of new cameras being able to install lens firmware - http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/08/canon-ef-40mm-f2-8-stm-firmware-available/