Testing Ronin S + Canon 5d3 (Magic Lantern) + follow focus + EF16-35 f4 IS

Started by Dmytro_ua, December 18, 2018, 07:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmytro_ua

Hi,
When I was thinking about purchase of Ronin-S, I was worried about, how it will perform with my Canon 5d mark III running Magic Lantern. I've found in the manual, that Ronin was tested with 1.3.5 Canon firmware, but I'm still on 1.1.3 (because of ML).

My current setup: Canon 5d mark III (ver.: 1.1.3)  with Magic Lantern (experimental crop_rec build, published on 2018-07-22). Ronin-S firmware version: v1.7.0.60

To test follow focus features, I've decided to buy a simple Micro-to-Mini USB adapter (~ $1) and use it with included original MCC-to-MicroUSB cable.

Here is a video:
(Please, turn ON the subtitles to read my comments (press PAUSE if you need)! This video is for test purposes only, so don't judge the overall quality of it.)

https://youtu.be/6cQvf-cy27g

When camera is disabled: follow focus blinks red LED
As soon as camera booted, we see the continuous green LED light.
When we reach the limit of a focus distance, we're getting the message on a screen.
The soft limits are on both sides.

After message is gone, the screen "reloads" the image, and we can see a focusing window for a second.

The lens' auto focus works not as usual. It makes loud clicks for each step.

Focus/record button.

It doesn't focus on a half press :/ (update: it works, I added info at the end of this message).

With a full push it should start a record. But it only goes to a black screen with overlays, and the record timer stays at 00:00
I've waited for a few minutes, but nothing changes.
So, to Start recording we need to press 3 times. With short delays between them.

Nevertheless, it stops recording with only one push. It's nice ))

Most of the times, it started recording after 3 pushes of the button.
But in some circumstances, it could start recording after the first push.

Small update: Auto focus actually WORKS on a half press. I forgot, that I use a back AF-ON button on my camera, and it is disabled on the main trigger button. So, the only problem with ML is Start recording on a 3-rd press. Without ML a recording starts as it supposed.

So, I hope I can confirm, that Ronin S works with Canon 5d mark III without ML, on an old firmware 1.1.3 with Micro-to-Mini USB adapter.
So, who wants, can actually buy a dedicated original cable MCC-MiniUSB.
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

tom2

Hi,

Let me introduce my configuration:
canon 5D Mark III firmware 1.2.3 with Canon Zoom 24-105 T4 II
magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3123
Ronin S gimbal firmware v1.6.0.50

I love 14bit Lossless so much that I can't imagine using Magic Lantern without it... It makes things so light and simple.
My Ronin S and my Canon 5D Mark III seem to be friends (thanks to a MCC-MiniUSB cable) as long as I don't use « 14bit lossless » Data Format. If I do so and if I start recording, It ends up with this kind of disturbing message on the canon monitor:
« Save Configs...
Rec key pressed.
Starting raw recording...
Locking cache
Compression error -3 at frame 1
BKT giving up
ML ASSERT:
«

etc...

and I also find that file on my card:
ML ASSERT:
at mlv_lite.c:2695 (compress_task), task compress_task
lv:1 mode:3

compress_task stack: 1b0538 [1b05c8-1af5c8]
0x00069FA0 @ ac2edc:1b0568
0x00069878 @ 6a008:1b0538

Magic Lantern version : crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3123
Mercurial changeset   : c1e44b8e0183 (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd) tip
Built on 2018-07-22 13:10:52 UTC by jenkins@nightly.
Free Memory  : 214K + 3523K

Anyone have an idea of how I can fix this bug?... One way to achieve this is to unplug the mCC-miniUSB cable, but that's a pitty because the focus wheel doesn't work anymore....

Best whishes for 2019!
tom

after all henry lawson

Dmytro_ua

Hi tom2,

I'm out of town for a few days, and I don't have access to my setup right now.

As I can see, we have different Canon firmware 1.1.3 vs 1.2.3, Ronin S firmware 1.7.0.60 vs 1.6.0.50. And as long as we don't now, what ML settings do you use - there're a lot of variations.
I did try 14bit lossless with 1920px, 2.35:1, with proxy enabled (if I remember correctly). In this scenario, I didn't have error messages.

I'm not a ML developer, just a user. But as soon as get a chance, I'll try to check with different settings.

tom2

Hi Dmytro,
Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunatly I'm facing this bug even if I use 1.1.3 canon firmare like you.
(And by the way, we have the same ronin-s firmware (1.7.0.60))
I also try different ratios (16/9 or 2.35): same bug.
with or without sound: same bug.
with or without crop mode module: same bug.

The only way to make the bug dissapear is:
- to give up with 14bit LOSSLESS and come back to classic 14bit
OR
- to unplug the cable MCC-miniUSB between the Ronin-S and the 5D Mark III

Looking forward to read you...
tom

canon 5D Mark III firmware 1.2.3 with Canon Zoom 24-105 T4 II
Ronin S gimbal firmware v1.7.0.60

tom2

Hi Dmytro!

Did you have time checking if you face the same ML-bug as me when recording 14bit lossless Raw with your 5D Mark III remoted by your Ronin-S, through the miniUSB cable?

Sorry to insist, but you're the only person I know who uses very similar settings
If you don't face any bug, you're lucky! Maybe it's because I'm using a genuine MCC-miniUSB cable (bought on DJI website) and not a cable+a micro-to-mini adaptator, like you?...
best regards
tom

Dmytro_ua

Hi,
I didn't have enough time to check different settings (as there're a lot of variations), that's why I didn't answered in the topic yet. But I did check it with my current settings and I don't have any errors. So, it behaves exactly as in my video. Mostly ok, but with a Start Recording lag/bug. I have to push Start button on Ronin several times to start recording.

I don't think that the cable can be a reason of this error, as it is the same, only a different connector. The wires are the same, and there is no any electronics in these cables to give any reason for error.

If you need to find a solution ASAP - please send me all your settings and i'll try it on my setup. You can record a video of your ML menus and the steps how to get this error. It would be easier for me to replicate it.

p.s. I will check it on my 1.1.3 Canon firmware.

Dmytro_ua

Hi Tom,

I've checked your settings and to be short - YES, I also have this ERROR!

I need to check more with different settings to find out the consistent pattern of this bug to report for developers.
I've also found out, that my Start Recording lag appears only when Proxy is enabled.

As you said in PM, if you have the same problem with connecting 5D to laptop with a USB cable for a remote with the CANON UTILITY app - this is definitely a ML bug, not a Ronin. It's good, because theoretically we can try to get help here. Otherwise, DJI doesn't care about ML.

edit. You can use Start/Stop button on 5d3 without error, while using follow focus of Ronin with it's cable.

Dmytro_ua

Hi, again

Yesterday at night I've got an Error, but voke up in the morning, didn't change any settings and the Error disappeared.
Please, see the video with different settings:

https://youtu.be/gZN3hOJzO5E

For 6 minutes of video, I couldn't get an error. So, it actually can work.
Later I've managed to get an error, but I didn't change Canon or ML settings. I was only changing Exposure, WB etc. Starting/stopping recording. The reason of an Error is not obvious for me yet.

Dmytro_ua

QuoteOnce my 5D is plugged with the mini-usb cable, I face the bug
- when I push Rec/stop on the camera
- when I push Rec/stop on my laptop (Canon Utility)
- when I push Rec/stop on my Ronin-S

The bug appears when the camera is "remoted" through the miniUSB cable. I suspect a problem with the "Rec Trigger" fonction on mlv-lite, but it's my intuition, I can't prove it.
you can read what Alex (Magic Lantern) says about the bug:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/2919/14bit-lossless-broken-when-using-rec-stop

I don't get this error often. Most of the time it works ok (when cable is inserted).

But when I got an error, I:
- Turn off the camera
- Turn off Ronin (only control section, no need to reboot battery).
- Turn on Ronin
- Turn on camera in photo mode
- Switch to video mode

If I turn the camera on in Video Live view mode after error - the error most of the times is still there.

tom2

Hi Dmytro...

Maybe you made me discover a trick to avoid the bug when the 5D mark III is on the Ronin-S
As I was facing the bug almost EACH time I was recording, I chose to try your method of switching from PHOTO to VIDEO mode when rebooting the camera (method which is much more convenient than mine which consisted in taking the battery off and on).
I noticed a difference in the behaviour of the camera and the bug was more rare.
And I'm not sure but I have the feeling that if you use this rule, there is no more bug:
When you switch on your camera, be sure you are in the PHOTO mode, and when the boot of the camera and Magic Lantern are finished, now you can switch to the VIDEO mode, and shoot 14bit Lossless as long as you can.
This has to be tested more than I did. Tell me what you think about this trick.
In this case, I have the feeling that the bug comes back only when I'm too fast for start recording, just after a clip is finished.

Thanks again for your help
best regards
Tom

PS: by the way, I noticed also that what is reliable is to « double tap » the RoninS REC button to start recording. Same thing to stop recording.

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: tom2 on January 23, 2019, 06:06:43 PM
I noticed also that what is reliable is to « double tap » the RoninS REC button to start recording. Same thing to stop recording.

Yes, double tap for Start/Stop. Three taps for Start (if proxy enabled), and one tap to Stop (if proxy enabled).

tom2

Hi Dmytro,
If one day you tests your Canon Mark III Magic-Lanterned on a RONIN SC, let me know the results of your tests!
I wish the Ronin SC could be as efficient as the Ronin S, but lighter!
best regards,
Tom

Dmytro_ua

Hi,
I'm not going to buy Ronin SC. S version is more versatile for me. As far, as I use heavy mirror camera with zoom lenses - SC version won't let you balance such a set up properly. This is the main reason.
The other one is - I'm a little disappointed in DJI company and their marketing overall, as they actually abandoned the development of Ronin S (the new product which is less than a year in production, maybe even a half of the year because we don't have firmware updates for 5 months already), and jumped into a new SC version. They've implemented all features we were discussing on forum for Ronin S. So, they actually used all the ideas and user proposals and put it into a new less premium product. Left us with a buggy and half working/or not working functions (for some promised cameras).
The same thing about accessories  - for now we only had promises, but now I already see promises for a lot of accessories coming for new SC model, and nothing for S model. Seems like it can stay as empty words, and no real support in future.

tom2

hi everyone,

for those interested...
my ML-canon 5D Mark III behaves as well on a ronin SC as on a ronin S
For heavy lenses (like my 24-105 T4 mark II), a litte counterweight needs to be attached on the back of the camera (to avoid the weight is too much on the front).
For the cable, I use this short adapter:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-1-Type-C-Female-Jack-to-Mini-USB-5Pin-Male-Right-Angle-Power-Adapter-Cable/283355816927?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Best regards
tom

canon 5D Mark III firmware 1.2.3 with Canon Zoom 24-105 T4 II IS and Canon 16-35 T4 IS