Installation of ML on T3i

Started by Robo18, December 09, 2018, 08:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robo18

I just purchased a T3i hoping to install ML. I successfully upgraded the Canon firmware to 1.0.2. I formatted the card in camera and installed the unzipped 2018-7-3 nightly build in the SD card's root directory. The message I get consistently is that the card contains no firmware updates. Is there something I'm missing? Appreciate any help you can give me.

Walter Schulz

Check if there is a file named "ML-SETUP.FIR" on your card.
If not: It should. Check zip content and copy it to card.
If: Give some info about your card. There may be issues with SDXC, try SDHC (if any) or create a partition < 32 GByte and retry (after copying again, of course).

Robo18

Thanks for getting back to me Walter.

I checked the unzipped file and it did contain the ML-SETUP.FIR file. I tried two different cards in case there was an issue: both are Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB SDHC I Class 10 (one is U1 the other is U3).

I'd be interested in how to partition the SD card in a fashion that would trigger a firmware update. Don't know if it matters, but I'm running Mac Mojave.

Appreciate your help!

Walter Schulz

Please clarify: Is there an ML-SETUP.FIR in card's root directory or not?

dfort

Following up on Walter's post--does your card's root directory look like this?

Robo18

Thanks Walter and dfort!

Putting the the 3 files in the root directory, naked as it were, did the trick. Being a non-programmer and a newb to ML (and a Nikon shooter to boot) I didn't realize I needed to delete the DCIM and MISC files after formatting in the camera. Thanks for taking time to help me.

Walter Schulz

You don't need to delete DCIM and MISC.

Installation instructions from download page:
Quote1   Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.0.2.
2   Format the card from the camera.
3   Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.
4   After installation, copy your ROM files (ML/LOGS on the card) to a safe place.

@a1ex: Maybe changing 3 into "Copy extracted ML files on the card and run Firmware Update"?

Yes, I know: Then we get users trying to decompress Autoexec.bin ...
You can't win. Linking a snapshot like dfort's?

Robo18

That'll help. You'll want to make sure they (me) don't just copy the nightly build folder over as it wouldn't satisfy the root directory requirement. Us newbs are a literal bunch!

Robo18

Yes and the nightly build folder is part of the unzip. I get it, you're tired of asking if the computer is plugged in.

a1ex

Quote from: Walter Schulz on December 10, 2018, 05:13:21 PM
@a1ex: Maybe changing 3 into "Copy extracted ML files on the card and run Firmware Update"?

Something like this? https://builds.magiclantern.fm/700D-115.html

I'd like to move the image to the right side; some help with CSS would be welcome.

Walter Schulz

Thanks! Content itself looks good.

Still some design work to do, I think. Appearance before was kind of slim, column-like. More or less in line with the button bars. Now it's out of alignment, so to say. Gained too much in the waist IMO.
Design issues may be personal.