ML, 50D, and EoS Utility.

Started by Ignyte, December 18, 2018, 03:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignyte

G'day,

Im new to photography and have recently discovered the wonders of bulb ramping.
I'd like to put ML on my 50D and try this out but i'm worried about the possibility of bricking my only camera.

All im looking to do is to use the bulb ramping feature, and have the images it takes stored on my computer through the EoS utility during the timelapse (Something the utility normally does when the camera is plugged in).

Just wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not this works before I give it a fair go.

I'm using what I assume is the latest Canon EoS utility, and it's normally plugged into a windows 8 (I know I know...) netbook when out timelapsing.

Cheers for your help.

Walter Schulz

If you connect an ML enabled cam via USB you won't be able to access ML menu.
There is a way to access rudimentary features with LUA scripting but no PTP support out-of-the-box.

Do you really need ML? Because you can access Canon settings with remote control software and script your own bulb ramping routine. Haven't looked up yet but maybe there are scripts/tools available covering your needs.

PS: We had some cams in our Camera Emergency Dept. temporarily bricked by such remote control tools. Canon SDK allows some settings to be changed through PTP connection without "sanity" check ...

Ignyte

Oh I see, so I wouldn't be able to set up the bulb ramp and then have it start when the shutter release is pressed?

I don't really need ML no, just trying to find a simple (or straight forward, rather) way to achieve those day to night transitions in timelapse without spending much, if any.

Scripts and that are way out of my scope of knowledge. I feel as though I'd bork it if I try to poke about with scripts when I've no clue what I'm doing.

Cheers for the response, Walter!

garry23

@Ignyte

I assumed you have tried non-ML options, eg https://lrtimelapse.com/faq/

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Ignyte on December 18, 2018, 09:57:45 PM
Oh I see, so I wouldn't be able to set up the bulb ramp and then have it start when the shutter release is pressed?
Haven't tried it before but I can trigger Advanced Intervalometer via EOS Utility. You won't be able to combine it with Auto-ETTR.

Ignyte

QuoteI assumed you have tried non-ML options, eg https://lrtimelapse.com/faq/

I'm still trying to find them. LRT looks promising but it has a 400 image limit for the free version. I've also only got Lightroom 3 which LRT doesn't appear to support.
I did download the free version just to give it a crack and regain some sanity but qDSLR on the desktop doesnt seem to detect my camera over USB, or LRT. LRT asks for Adobe DNG converter on startup even though I downloaded and installed the latest version, and it appears as though this setup stores images on both the CF card and harddrive, although i'm not 100% on that.

QuoteHaven't tried it before but I can trigger Advanced Intervalometer via EOS Utility. You won't be able to combine it with Auto-ETTR.
What do you mean by trigger it? like starting the intervalometer? I'm not well versed with ETTR, isn't that just turning the exposure up a little further for optimal light information? I assume I could feign ETTR by setting the exposure slightly higher to begin with.

Sorry for the million questions...

So far i'm gathering that yes, I can use ML's bulb ramping with EoS utility to store the images on the computer instead of the CF card, I just wont be able to access the ML settings whilst connected to the EoS utility. Have I got this correct?

Cheers a ton for your time, it's greatly appreciated. I've been pulling my hair out over this.

garry23

@Ignyte

I have used LRT for some time and played with qDSLR.

As for the 400 limit on the free version, a 1600 image session is four times 400 ;-)

As for LR3, I'm sorry I can't help you there.

I decided a few years ago that my photography was worth 3 Starbucks coffees a month for the adobe photography subscription  ;)

Cheers

Garry

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Ignyte on December 19, 2018, 01:10:29 PM
So far i'm gathering that yes, I can use ML's bulb ramping with EoS utility to store the images on the computer instead of the CF card, I just wont be able to access the ML settings whilst connected to the EoS utility. Have I got this correct?

Essentially, yes! But I think you may have missed why Auto-ETTR may come handy for shootings.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8431.0
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5705.0

Generally speaking: Some very interesting features in ML are based on Liveview and they are not available if USB is connected.

Ignyte

@garry23 I've given the evaluation version or LTR a crack and so far with the 400 image limit, it appears to be fairly usable. So cheers for that suggestion!

@Walter Schulz Okay so If I do go down the ML bulb ramping route, I wont be able to use auto-ETTR in conjunction with EoS utility.

I read somewhere that photo review had to be turned on for ETTR, that applies only to ETTR and not the advanced intervalometer settings in general right? If thats the case it seems to me that using auto-ETTR with photo review turned on would smash my batteries a bit quicker anyway so I'd be happy to leave it off for the time being.

Thankyou so much for the helpful advice, Gary and Walter. I really do appreciate your help demystifying all of this for me.  :)