Bit Rate help 5d mrk 3

Started by berechiah, December 09, 2018, 10:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berechiah

Hi all,
The file size dose not change for me weather I use the 10bit or 14bit. Each dng photo after it is extracted is 4.2mb each

I tried 10bit, 12bit, 14bit lossless, and just normal 14bit.
I tried it on the 4k experimental build and I tried it on the nightly build, and the 10-12but experimental build too.

Yes the quality seem to be better in the 14bit when looking at each one in camera raw in Photoshop

But I would think if I choose 12bit the file size should be smaller right?
PS I'm using magic lantern the past 4days now so I'm new here. But I spend so much time in the last few days learning as much as possible and I love it.

Thanks for the help I'm sure it's something simple I'm doing wrong and I appreciate any help

Walter Schulz

When it comes to questions to we would really like to have some background information:
- Camera used
- Build date/version
- Settings, modules used
- Tools involved
- How to reproduce

That said: I suppose you used a raw video recording mode. Cam will generate footage as a single file (or chunks, depending on recording duration and file system). This file size will be different in size depending on bit depth/compression used.
This has to be converted (as you did) into a format able to be used by other programs. Depending on your converter you may get (as an example) a bunch of DNG files with 16 bit depth, uncompressed. "Unused bits" (not present in 10/12/14 bit format) will be added/interpolated in this process.
And, voilĂ : All your *output* has the same file size.

berechiah

I see thanks so much for explaining.
So the file is compressed untill it's extracted then the file become the same
So file size low in card and normal size when extracted

So sorry my settings were

I was on a 5d mk3
4k experimental build the latest one
Manual setting
24fps 1080p testing 10 bit and 12bit and 14bit
It was the 2.0 mlv with sound trurned on
Mlvsf extraction on Mac
I used davinchi

dfort

Quote from: berechiah on December 15, 2018, 11:21:15 AM
Mlvsf extraction on Mac

MLFS creates "virtual" DNG files so they shouldn't be taking up additional space on your drive. You can save these DNG's by copying them to another location and then they do take up space.

Think of this process like working with a graphics editor like Photoshop. It can open up a highly compressed 8-bit JPEG or an uncompressed 16-bit TIFF. Let's say these images are the same dimensions but take up different amounts of disk space. The graphics editor loads them into memory and they both take up the same amount of memory without having to take up any more disk space. If you save these files in a different format, say PNG using identical bit depth and compression, they will both be about the same file size.

This is an oversimplification but does it make sense?

Danne

Mlvfs outputs/upscale to 16bit if dragged to a folder. Use Mlv app if you want streamlined bit to bit conversion. Bouncyball "fixed" this.

berechiah

I see. I totally get it now. I'm sort of technology savy but even saying so means I'm probably not lol
But I had a grasp on it untill I came across this issue. Thansk for explaining!and taking the time to do so.

I'll definitely get the app and export the files to the highest bit I can
Tjst way I can get the best footage possible.

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: berechiah on December 15, 2018, 08:18:36 PM
export the files to the highest bit I can

You should export to that bitrate in which you were shooting. If it was 14bit - export to 14.  There is no need to export to the highest bit you can. If 14 bit exports to 16 bit - you're just wasting you hard disk space.
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

berechiah

True, I would have made that mistake! Dudes hands down your scientists!!! Brill!

Much appreciated for all your help!!!!!!