How to shoot 3k - 3.5k RAW at 24fps

Started by CousteauBix, December 07, 2018, 07:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CousteauBix

Hello,

I apologize if this has been gone over before, but I'm confused at how people are somehow able to shoot 3.5k at 24fps without frame skipping. I have searched so much on how this can be possible and have found next to nothing. I have a 5D III, a Lexar 1066x 160mbps CF card, seemed to be the best you can buy for ML, but my benchmarks are reading weird at ~70mbps write speed, etc (which I'm not sure if it's saying my SD card has the same read/write speed?? SD card is a Lexar Platinum II 300x 45mbps card just used for ML firmware, so a ~70mbps write speed is weird...is that SD card a problem at all?).

So I'm confused to say the least. Are these people using 10/12bit raw or some other compression type, etc.? What's up with this?

In the end, my one true question is, how are people able to shoot RAW 3.5k at 24fps???

UPDATE:
I have seen this thread regarding crop rec, etc. - https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.0

I re-ran benchmarks with that firmware, and it told me that my write speed was 57mbps (from 69mbps originally), and then some error with finding the read speed. How can I fix this low write speed?? I can't even record 3k with my Lexar 1066x right now.

Walter Schulz

Run benchmark in photo mode to get some comparable results.
After benchmark run you will find a new file named BENCHx.PPM on your card showing benchmark screen contents. Convert to JPEG, PNG, upload somewhere and link them here.
Write and read speeds differ a lot in real life. See cameramemoryspeed.com

CousteauBix

Thanks Walter!

I understand the write and read speeds will be different that what it says on the box, etc. and the only reason I'm concerned is because I'm using the same CF card and firmware as the man in the tutorial on 4k crop_rec post (https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.0) and I'm unable to get the speeds he has.

Here's the benchmark done in photo mode. Not much different.

Walter Schulz

And do *not* use Liveview! Unload all modules but bench.mo.

CousteauBix

Ok will do. Why should I not use live view?? Or I believe my live view is set to half-fps, so I have to press the shutter button half way to get true live view.

UPDATE:

.....yeah I can see why now. X)

CousteauBix

Ok, all modules not loaded except for benchmark. Higher speeds than before for sure, but still too low. Doesn't look good  :-\

So the first one is in Photo mode:

And the second one is is Movie mode:

Walter Schulz

Do you own a decent cardreader (USB 3.x)? If so: Redo benchmark runs using your PC. Use CrystalDiskMark (Windows) or Blackmagic Disk Speed Test (macOS/OS X).

CousteauBix

Here are the results. So is it a faulty CF card???

Walter Schulz

Looks like a fraud. Relabeled Lexar 800x, maybe. Contact reseller and ask for refund/replacement.

CousteauBix

CousteauBix

Hello...I'm back.

I don't know what's going on. I bought some Komputerbay 1066x CF cards, benchmarked them on the computer and got write speeds between 130mbps and 135mbps (to make sure they were working and not fake), then benchmarked them on the 5D III and got a solid 95mbps write speed everytime (results below). This is the result I get with either just the benchmark module loaded, or with the crop_rec, mlv lite, etc. etc. modules loaded as well. Consistent 95mbps all around.

But when I go to set my crop rec/RAW settings, it says I won't be able to shoot above 62.7mbps.

I've turned global view off, set settings to 12 bit, and messed with everything else I can think of, but still can't get anything above 2.5k because of this weird 62.7mbps limit. Why is this????

UPDATE:
I decided to try to shoot 3k raw anyway...and it worked. Looks like everything's golden now lol. X)