EOS M - Full frame raw with Viltrox speed booster

Started by alpicat, December 05, 2018, 03:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uEOSM

Hi! I collect a set, ordered, waiting for delivery. I want to share with you.

Zenit Zenitar F2,8/16mm Lens

zoom
Viltrox EF-EOS M2 Focal Reducer Booster Adapter 0.71x

zoom

The disadvantages of this lens are known, but they overlap the price. And in our case, these shortcomings will not bother us. Chromatic aberration, lack of clarity at the edges of the frame. Everything leaves if we shoot in x5 zoom mode. We get real 50mm FF.
Mode x5, we get 4.37 crops. Viltrox booster gives 0.71. Lens Zenitar 16mm. We get => 4.37 * 0.71 * 16 = 49.64 mm equivalent of the full frame.
The advantages of x5 zoom mode in a low rolling shutter and moire.
In the example below, the photograph was taken with the Zenitar lens and how much of it would go to x5. In my opinion, the distortion on this site is almost not noticeable.
If you want to see how it will look at you, you can set 31mm on your Kit 18-55 lens.

Zenit Zenitar F2,8/16mm

zoom (65mb)
Zoom x5 mode, 1920*1080

zoom

henricusmaria

Quote from: alpicat on December 08, 2018, 01:19:39 AM
@dfort  You can use Canon ef-s lenses + Viltrox when shooting in 5x zoom mode without any vignetting (since the resultant crop is 2.36x from 35mm full frame assuming you shoot at max res of 2520x1308), however at the wide end the rear lens element might hit the Viltrox glass - depending on which ef-s lens you use. First step is to remove the plastic part which protrudes from the back of the ef-s lens, either by sawing it off or using your fingers depending on lens. After this modification, you can fit the lens on the Viltrox: my ef-s 17-55mm and 10-18mm both hit the Viltrox glass at their widest setting (so you can't use the widest 2mm or so), but my ef-s 17-85mm doesn't.

Damn.. I just ordered the 10-18 ef-s and was about to order the speedbooster. I knew about the needed modification but didn't know the lens still would hit the viltrox glass at the widest setting. So what is the widest you can go? 13mm? What can be done about this?

alpicat

@henricusmaria  with the 10-18 ef-s lens you can go to about 12-13mm before the rear element hits the back of the speedbooster, but before you can do that you first have to saw off the back plastic part of the ef-s lens. I actually managed to damage my lens slightly when I did this modification, hope to repair it one day when I have more money!

henricusmaria

Thanks, I'll be careful ;) What did you damage?
I saw a YouTube vid were a guy sawed of the plastic part of the ef-s 10–18 and was able to go all the way to 10mm on the viltrox speed booster. No touching of glass, according to him. Only lots of vignetting. I will let you know how it works when I receive mine.

stef7

Did somebody tried Viltrox EF to EF-M speedbooster + Canon 10-18mm combination on EOS M?

Had high hopes for it. Would be perfect for those crop modes.  :)

But so far it doesn't work.  Yes had to cut the back of the lens first. 

Viltrox EF to EF-M speedbooster + Canon 18-55mm IS II (with back cut off) works no problem at all. Viltrox + Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 also works. Canon 10-18mm works on Full Frame Canon bodies (some limitations on Mark III), works on Sony cameras with cheap Chinese adapters. But not with the Viltrox. Canon EOS doesn't recognize the lens when Viltrox speedbooster is used.

And by the way Viltrox Speedbooster has an adjustment for infinity. The whole group of lenses moves forward / backward when you rotate them from the inside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu_rVCw5cGU

Manage to find a position where infinity is OK but the lens of the speedbooster is back enough so Canon 10-18mm @10mm doesn't hit the glass. Lens could be used trough the whole range of focal lengths.

Now only if speedbooster would recognize the lens  :(

bakersdozen

EOS M + 5D3

masc

Quote from: bakersdozen on November 09, 2019, 05:37:15 AM
Are you using viltrox vi or vii ??
Where did you get the information that there is a vii at all? Can't find that on the Viltrox homepage...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bakersdozen

Quote from: masc on November 09, 2019, 10:53:01 AM
Where did you get the information that there is a vii at all? Can't find that on the Viltrox homepage...
Doesn't specifically say on viltrox homepage, but the newet version is called EF-M2II (rather than just EF-M2) and has it written on the speed booster itself.

Not a lot of info about it, just that it has better pins between camera and adapter apparently. I can't see that the optics are different at all, as it seems to take the same firmware updates.

I only was made aware of a vii after reading
@DeafEyeJedi post in one of zeeks https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=24616.msg222098.msg#222098threads.   And then did a little research. As far as I know , noone has done a back to back comparison.
EOS M + 5D3

yokashin

I once found this test. And I read on some blog that, according to the author, these versions differ only in gold-plated pins ...

70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

masc

Quote from: bakersdozen on November 13, 2019, 09:18:45 AM
Doesn't specifically say on viltrox homepage, but the newet version is called EF-M2II (rather than just EF-M2) and has it written on the speed booster itself.
Quote from: yokashin on November 13, 2019, 11:26:02 AM
I once found this test. And I read on some blog that, according to the author, these versions differ only in gold-plated pins ...

VILTROX EF-M2: Auto Focus Adapter for Canon EF-mount Lens to Micro 4/3
VILTROX EF-M2II: Auto Focus Adapter for Canon EF-mount Lens to Micro 4/3
VILTROX EF-EOS M2: Mounts Canon EF Mount Lens to Canon EOS-M Mirrorless Camera
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bakersdozen

Seems you are correct - sorry about that. I was getting sucked in by this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163646095525

Title says vii but image does not reflect that.

Apologies for the wild goose chase
EOS M + 5D3

DeafEyeJedi

Sorry guys for starting a wild goose chase all for nothing. Got sucked into by this as well. My bad.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109