5D MKIII disabled after Nightly Build Update

Started by Spoogleator, November 30, 2018, 05:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoogleator

HI Folks,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I upgraded the firmware from the nightly build in July. I did this on the SD card and everything installed correctly and was working. I then added the CF card (which I forgot to format in camera like I did with the SD card). Once i put this in the camera shut down. So the CF card (64GB SanDisk Extreme Pro) was formatted on my mac with disk utility and the files were also added to the CF card. The SD card this time is an EZ Share (Wifi) 32GB instead of a 16GB Toshiba 30MPS. This happened a while ago with a different SD card (Toshiba) and the fix was to format it and add then use the original and that fixed the issue. This time it hasn't worked. I'm not sure if the issue lies with the the EZ SD card or the now formatted Toshiba card, but there's nothing when turning on and booting up.

I then came and checked the forum for some answers and couldn't find anything similar (as i'm not fully sure what the issue is).

To recap; when the power is turned on nothing happens, no booting or red light. When the SD (EZ SHARE) and CF (64GB Extreme Pro) there is still no booting up. I've tried to start it on video mode and there's nothing there either. The CF is only 6 months old like the EZ Share.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Spoogleator

p.s if this is a stupid question i apologise...

Walter Schulz

Remove battery and all cards.
Find a standard SD-card. Size and speed doesn't matter but do not use WiFi cards. Format card in cardreader.
Insert card and battery.
Close compartment doors.

Report back.

Spoogleator

Hey Walter thanks for your help with this,

Using just the SD card (Standard) I put it in the camera and nothing happened. I then formatted the card so it was blank and nothing happened. I also added the ML files to the SD card (magiclantern-nightly2018Jul035D3123) this was the version on the camera before it crashed/I broke it.

All of the above yielded the same result - no camera start-up, no red light and no control over the camera.

Should I format the CF card and the SD? It happened when I added the CF that it stopped working.

I've placed different CF cards in but haven't seen anything (obviously).

Walter Schulz

Spoogleator

Yeah i've just redone the above as I couldn't remember if I had. The results are the same. I'm charging a new set of batteries in case and i'll repeat it again tomorrow.

Walter Schulz

You don't have to redo them.
Use MacBoot to make card bootable, copy "portable display test" autoexec.bin to card and insert card and battery. Close battery door and report back.

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0

Spoogleator

Hey, thanks a million Walter! The last one worked (and I've tested it a few times too). I really appreciate your help/advice.

I think i'm going to install the nightly version and stick with RAW 1080p. If for some reason there's an error repeat the previous?

Walter Schulz

Most likely you are resposible for this kind of error.
ML enabled cams will access card as soon as battery compartment door is closed. Yes, cam's power switch has nothing to do here and card comparment door status is irrelevant, too.
There are cards incompatible with this read access. For example: Older EyeFi cards. I suppose your WiFi card falls into this scheme. Same for majority of SD-to-CF adapters.

If an incompatible card is accessed you can try whatever you may want: Power on/off, card removal. The cam just don't care. It is stuck until you remove battery/open battery compartment door.

Another issue occurs if you remove cards too fast after opening card slot. ML needs to write to the card. And it does this *after* opening card slot. If you interrupt this procedure you may end up with a fried card or at least a corrupted file system. Other cams (like 5D2) are not immune to disturbing cam's internal memory storage content. No, you won't want to deal with that, I suppose.