5D Mark II on the Seychelles

Started by masc, November 29, 2018, 10:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

In the month of May, I spent my vacation in the Seychelles. It took weeks to scroll through the 550GB of MLV files I recorded there... the final holiday video was finished in the last summer days. Now Ilia brought the new color processing to MLVApp. I tested with some clips and was so impressed by the colors, so I decided to create another shorter public version. Here it is:

I am not 100% satisfied by the smoothness of my glidecam movement - I probably should have balanced it better. But the climate has been a heavy burden on the Glidecam too. After one week the ball bearing was rusty and my only chance to repair was to steal some drops of hydraulic oil from my rental car...  ;D
Gear used is: 5D Mark II, EF 16-35 2.8 L II, EF 100mm 2.0 and a GoPro 3 for the underwater and cycle clips. All clips from the EOS are processed and color corrected using MLVApp only.

Make sure to watch in maximum resolution youtube offers... the compression is... ARGGHH
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Dmytro_ua

Nice shots, but sand and some other bright parts seem to be overexposed. It's too bright for my taste and has no details.
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

IDA_ML

Excellent work, Masc, and a nice demonstration of what this amazing 10-year old 5DMkII camera is now up to with Magic Lantern thanks to the enthusiasm and hard work of all dvelopers involved.  MLVApp really shines!  Congratulations!

allemyr

Well done!!

I have to disagree with Dmytro_ua because I really like the contrast ratio you have choosen I think that the dark,middle range and the bright parts of the image has a good contrast. This way will be something I strive for myself for next shots.
You have to choose your contrast when grading you can't retain all highlights and shadows from a 14bit file into a 8 bit, well if you do you have just created a Log image within a 8 bit file.

Well captured, I really like the contrast you went for, maybe tweak colors a tiny tiny bit but thats my taste, contrast in grey tones is perfect tho!

Yep that 1080p compression, I bet it look much better before uploaded to Youtube!

masc

Thanks @all.
I know what you mean: getting the contrasts recorded is a hard fight on the seychelles. The white pouder sand is extremely bright and often flat, shadows are extremely dark. I recorded all clips (nearly) at full open aperture and 1/50sec, to get as much as possbile from this fullframe look. Surely this also costs some contrast. When recording I decided mostly to record at -2/3EV, to save the highlights and getting therefor a little more noise in the darks. But in the post that looks very unnatural, so I had to lighten it up again a little. Some smaller areas are too bright then, right.
Oh yes... it looked much better bofore uploading to youtube, but this is no secret. Maybe also this costs the last little contrast in some areas.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Dmytro_ua

masc, could you please share RAW DNG (only 1 frame is enough) of these frames:

I want to see, what information can be pushed from those highlights.  ;)
Thanks
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

allemyr

Well you have that 8 bit jpeg and you just posted and the first one with all the clouds you can check how he graded, the cloud have a white levels from 235 to 249. I dont see any parts of that video that has areas that has a value of 255 white and if it had thats a way of grading. If you want crisp midtones and a overall bright image you grade in that way he did. Having those bright parts in the sand with values from 235 to 250 is not a problem for me but you have to discuss the look you are after, post images from a grading look you like Dmytro_ua so we have some sort of guide to what we are aming for in your discussion. If those parts of the cloud is blown out on your monitor I would check that in the first place :)

masc

Here are coming the pictures as MLVApp PNG export, 1:1 graded as in the youtube link (I just added full sharpening to get more detail in the photos, even if it looks ugly...):

And here the dngs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gai6b4danvwuegx/seychelles_dng.zip?dl=0
But I don't see an overexposed area in those pictures - maybe some single pixels are (zebra function told).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Woah, some of the highlights that I thought were too bright on the video are perfect in the stills!

Really well done grading, but youtube destroys it slightly :(

allemyr

Quote from: Ilia3101 on December 01, 2018, 08:18:55 PM
Woah, some of the highlights that I thought were too bright on the video are perfect in the stills!

Really well done grading, but youtube destroys it slightly :(

I can only see the same 235-250 brightness in clouds on the youtube upload and in the same clouds on these stills I see the exact same thing.

Compression and brightness levels is different stuff I think?

ilia3101

Well on youtube the highlights were blocky and colour variations were gone, so I assumed it was kinda clipped/destroyed in some way then pulled back.

On these pics I see some nice colour in the sand and smooth gradients in the clouds, even though they are still as bright.