Obsession about LUTs

Started by Quentin, November 28, 2018, 09:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin

Hello people

Lately LUTs are very fashionable.
I wonder what is the workflow of shooting ML RAW combined with LUTs
As far as someone told me, LUTs must be supported by the Camera.
I am confused.
Anyone can highlight me ?

Walter Schulz

Good news for you:
ML does not support LUTs for RAW recording. Therefore no confusion.
It's RAW output only.

Quentin

Yes, I know
I wish I could always shoot in RAW, but often the budget is tight and I cannot afford the time penalty.
I loaded many LUTs in Premiere, but yet I havent found a way to utilize any of these.
As far as I understand, people shooting in LUTs with very low contrast, pale colors, they pass their shot under conversion
and then they f@ck the colors to make them look "filmish"
Any more advice please ?

Lars Steenhoff

Its simple, shoot in raw, import the DNG and open in your favourite software that supports LUTs, check what input your LUT expects to have:
for example if a LUT is made for sLog2 then you need to convert your raw to slog2 first and then apply the LUT.
And make sure you measure the correct white balance when shooting

Quentin

lucoctober

That would be cool if there was a module for loading luts for live view preview like in blackmagic and other cameras.

togg

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on November 29, 2018, 10:03:58 AM
Its simple, shoot in raw, import the DNG and open in your favourite software that supports LUTs, check what input your LUT expects to have:
for example if a LUT is made for sLog2 then you need to convert your raw to slog2 first and then apply the LUT.

a precision to this, the lut (which is a baked filter that will crush the image dinamic range) should be applied as a last node and any other correction should be done *before* that.

ibrahim

Quote from: togg on January 07, 2019, 01:49:04 AM

a precision to this, the lut (which is a baked filter that will crush the image dinamic range) should be applied as a last node and any other correction should be done *before* that.

I agree on that. I have tested this very carefully. This is a very important method.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

KelvinK

Why? It's true RAW, you can set WB in post w/o colors degradation.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

masc

Quote from: KelvinK on January 10, 2019, 08:03:33 AM
Why? It's true RAW, you can set WB in post w/o colors degradation.
Right. You should make sure to correct WB before converting to ProRes or whatever, where WB is baked in.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202