Questions about ML interaction with Quick Control menu and D4/D5 differences

Started by Walter Schulz, February 01, 2019, 01:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Not sure if here or Tutorials and Creative Uses is the right place to ask.

Came up with an idea for future tutorials. I think users might want to have some kind of reference for the things written to Quick Control screen by ML. Could be in written/non-interactive form with pics like this (incomplete):

or interactive for electronic devices (no example here).

Question 1: I looked into source code trying to find out which features are interacting with Quick Control. But I suck as a programmer and couldn't make sense out of it. Is there a list of features writing to QC screen?

Question 2: There a some differences in QC screen between my 650D (Digic 5) and 7D (Digic4).
QC 7D

Examples:            7D        650D
Battery level:       yellow    none
MLU:                   yellow    white
Adv. Bracket         none     white
intermediate ISO  alligned not alligned/artifacts
Date                    none     white

No lens info, no build info displayed in 7D's screen.
May a developer drop a word about those differences? Has to work this way because of Canon or something lost/gained in transistion? I kind of like ML's interaction highlighted. Personal issue, of course.

And another one:
AFAIK option "LCDsensor Remote" is the only one where menu icon changes this way. I think it is redundant and should be dropped to maintain user interface standard.

a1ex

Differences: more like personal preferences of the developers who used to maintain each port. Most of this stuff is hardcoded (mostly flexinfo code from g3gg0, others still scattered around in ancient code).

Yes, would be nice to unify them. When I wanted to do that, some years ago, I had no way to test this unified code (and got tired of asking others for screenshots for every single nitpick). Now I've got a way to test (except for 7D). Maybe I'll get that one working in QEMU too, some day.

LCD sensor is stuff I wrote for the 550D, many years ago, and went untouched afterwards (as most of the newer models no longer had this sensor).

Walter Schulz

Thanks for clarification!
Well, 7D user here and until moto season begins there is some time for testing.