Brighton | 5D Mark II 3K RAW test

Started by ilia3101, November 25, 2018, 04:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilia3101

Firstly, happy 10th birthday 5D mark 2!

Second, my yearly video...

I recommend watching in 4K where youtube compression was kind (looks awful in 1080p).
edit: Noticed youtube added a horrible framedrop that happens constantly so motion looks bad :( - don't know how to fix

It was filmed in mid October and took about a month to edit due to lack of time and energy.

Shot in 2880x1080 resolution @ 12 bits with the reddeercity/waza57 magic lantern build. These settings allowed 10-12 seconds of recording.
Lenses were Helios 44 (not 44-2), Jupiter 9 (silver), Takumar 135mm (as I don't have a russian 135mm yet), cosina 19-35 (for the really soft wide shot, as I don't have a mir-20 yet)

MLV App for conversion, 90% was done in the old version before accurate colour and camera matrices were added. The built in "film" filters are magic, though no one will listen as usual ;).
I am certain MLV App is as good as Davinci Resolve for simpler stuff (something it is lacking right now is wide gamut, on the to do list).
Also used Pitivi video editor for editing on Linux.

Made using 100% free (as in freedom) software!

IDA_ML

What a nice birthday present for the good old 5D2.  Hopefully, Canon is watching this.  Excellent work!

As far as MLVApp is concerned, I use it all the time.  Its Dual ISO workflow is fantastic!  I convert these files to ProRes after applying basic adjustments to them.  The rest is done in DaVinci Resolve Lite.  Also 100% free software. 

masc

Wonderful @Ilia! I really enjoyed watching this! You used the "Film FJ" filter?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Rob Curd

Beautiful colours!

Did you grade everything in mlv app?

Also are you local to Brighton?

ilia3101

@IDA_ML
Thanks! I also hope Canon is watching it and is inspired to make something as good as this would have been in 2008 :D... or not, so magic lantern has more opportunity to improve it significantly.

@masc4ii
I used the FJ filter quite a lot, it creates big contrast in skies and adds a bit of magenta to the image without making it pink like the tint slider does. Sometimes I also used the Portra filter, I find it creates really deep dark orange and green hues everywhere (but the image needs adjusting afterwards as it also makes it dark). The strength for filters was mostly between 35 and 65.

@Rob Curd

Thank you!

Yes I did grade completely in MLV App.

I like saying I'm local to Brighton, however I live kind of far (Haywards Heath), but I go there on weekdays so I'm quite Brightony. Used to be more local, Lewes, but that's just expensive.

histor

It's really fascinating.
I'm curious to know: that strange contour of the falling sun – was that real stratification of atmosphere, or that's a kind of dual-iso artefact?

Rob Curd

@Rob Curd

Thank you!

Yes I did grade completely in MLV App.

I like saying I'm local to Brighton, however I live kind of far (Haywards Heath), but I go there on weekdays so I'm quite Brightony. Used to be more local, Lewes, but that's just expensive.
[/quote]

@Ilia

Wow, how easy / quick did you find it? I'm using lightroom to colour at the moment.

Oh cool, I do some editing for a guy in Haywards Heath! I'm near Tunbridge Wells / Maidstone.

South East ML Meet Up!? 

"Ooooo Magic Lantern friends" ha

masc

Quote from: Rob Curd on November 26, 2018, 09:53:40 PM
Wow, how easy / quick did you find it? I'm using lightroom to colour at the moment.
If you use lightroom, you shouldn't have bigger problems with MLVApp, because nearly everything is at the same place. Export works way faster and no need for intermediate formats. Just load MLV and export graded ProRes.

Quote from: histor on November 26, 2018, 03:25:36 PM
I'm curious to know: that strange contour of the falling sun – was that real stratification of atmosphere, or that's a kind of dual-iso artefact?
The build used by ilia doesn't support dual-iso (as I know)...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: Rob Curd on November 26, 2018, 09:53:40 PM

Oh cool, I do some editing for a guy in Haywards Heath! I'm near Tunbridge Wells / Maidstone.

South East ML Meet Up!? 

"Ooooo Magic Lantern friends" ha

I find MLV App really convenient, similar to just editing some photos in lightroom, instead of raw photo->grade->jpeg it is mlv video->grade->prores. It is similarly layed out to lightroom as well. The main disadvantages in comparison to lightroom are that it has less complex tools such as individual hue adjustment, and doesn't really have good noise reduction. Other than that it is no worse. @masc sums it up well.

South East ML meetup would be great fun :D

Off topic, but an idea I've had a couple of time before... imagine if there was a global ML meetup/hackathon with loads of the developers in one place, that would be incredible. Could make loads of progress on hacking new cameras. If only that was realistic :'(

Quote from: histor on November 26, 2018, 03:25:36 PM
It's really fascinating.

No dual ISO. It was 100% real, I took so many shots of it, just couldn't put them all in one video, also that was a really small bit of a shot. Over the time of the whole shot it warps a lot. I could just upload all of them in a sequence if you'd like to see.

Is it something special?

histor

Thanks a lot. No more evidence needed ) That's a kind of  picturesque sunsets, I've seen many times, but mostly in the cinema. There isn't a lot of them in Saint-Petersburg.
Best wishes and – by the way – PM me, if you ever need help digging for lenses here.

ilia3101

Quote from: histor on November 27, 2018, 10:40:10 AM
Best wishes and – by the way – PM me, if you ever need help digging for lenses here.
Thank you very much. May do some time.

waza57

When I coded the crop_rec module for 5D2, I pushed the value of the registers to the maximum.
And I was horrified by the strange final result that the format was 2.66 (2880/1080).
But when I see this beautiful artistic work, I think that 2.66 is not so bad!
Bravo!

ilia3101

Quote from: waza57 on November 29, 2018, 12:21:57 AM
When I coded the crop_rec module for 5D2, I pushed the value of the registers to the maximum.
And I was horrified by the strange final result that the format was 2.66 (2880/1080).
But when I see this beautiful artistic work, I think that 2.66 is not so bad!
Bravo!

Initially I also thought it was odd because I was in to shooting 3:2, but I really love the look now.

I love what you have done with this module