Danne's crop_rec_4k, 5DIII

Started by Danne, November 09, 2018, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vastunghia

Quote from: koopg on February 15, 2023, 09:46:34 AM
how do you get framing on lcd and realtime on monitor?

Realtime on monitor is heavily cropped with 1x1 5x modes, as I said. And with anamorphic 1x3 modes it is also stretched (or squeezed? Can't remember) horizontally so it is almost unusable.

That said, there is nothing special you have to do to obtain it — HDMI out is always realtime (on 5D3 1.2.3 it is also clean). Just get an HDMI cable and connect your cam to your pc monitor to test.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

vastunghia

Quote from: Mattia on February 15, 2023, 10:41:59 AM
I would only like to understand a little more about the liveview. Does it offer correct framing, even if slow? And.. How much slow is it? Could I follow some actor walking in a room, for example?

Yes it is correct. And yes you can follow action. Only thing you cannot do is adjust focus. For that you will need an external monitor IMO.

I would be happy to make a video for you showing you how LV works, but unfortunately I don't think I will have the time — at least before the week-end. You may find something on this forum or over YT however.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Mattia

Quote from: vastunghia on February 15, 2023, 07:26:21 PM
Yes it is correct. And yes you can follow action. Only thing you cannot do is adjust focus. For that you will need an external monitor IMO.

I would be happy to make a video for you showing you how LV works, but unfortunately I don't think I will have the time — at least before the week-end. You may find something on this forum or over YT however.

Thanks again for your answer! Anyway I bought a 5d Mark III today, I've found quite an occasion! Around 10k shutter actuations, not even a small scratch, for 550€! Not bad at all! I'll receive it next tuesday and I can't wait to try it!

By the way this camera has a firmware version 1.2.1, should I upgrade it to some particular version before installing Magic Lantern? And why on Danne's repository there are two distinct builds?

Danne

Firmware 1.1.3 is better regarding raw. More overhead.

vastunghia

Welcome to the 5D3 club! 8)

You'll want to upgrade to 1.2.3. Or, you may downgrade to 1.1.3. In a nutshell, 1.1.3 has (a very few) more ML features enabled than 1.2.3; but 1.2.3 has clean (i.e. no overlays) HDMI out.

This is all well documented in the ML wiki. Pretty sure Walter will step in anytime soon rebuking you for not having a look before posting :P
5D3 for video
70D for photo

vastunghia

Quote from: Danne on February 15, 2023, 09:47:35 PM
Firmware 1.1.3 is better regarding raw. More overhead.

That was my expectation when I had to switch permanently to 1.2.3 for clean HDMI. However, in my tests I lost maybe 1% of write speed, not much more. Not sure my test were 100% accurate of course.

Would you be expecting a higher difference? Or did you test it thoroughly?
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Danne

Not really tested personaly and maybe as you say not that big difference nowadays.

vastunghia

Yeah, anyway @Mattia, the rule is: if you don't need HDMI, go for 1.1.3. Look for downgrade instructions.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Mattia

Quote from: vastunghia on February 15, 2023, 11:02:03 PM
Yeah, anyway @Mattia, the rule is: if you don't need HDMI, go for 1.1.3. Look for downgrade instructions.

Yes, 1.1.3 version is the best option for now since I don't have an external monitor. I've already downloaded the Canon firmware and watched a video about downgrade, it's pretty simple.
Grazie ancora! ;)

walter_F

hello everyone, like mattia i bought a 5d mark iii, actually i got it today and i have already tried danne's release with anamorphic at 5.7k. I use a 64gb cf komputer bay 1066x and a 128gb lexar 1667x sd. the quality of the files is exceptional... i wanted to thank danne and everyone for the valuable advice i found on the forum. given my inexperience in video with ml, until now I had only used it for photography with a 6D, I didn't know if there were any differences in writing speed by installing the release in the cf compared to the sd. where did you install it? in any case I did some tests and I got more or less the same speeds for a total of 153mbps with memory overclock at 240hz regardless of whether ml was on cf or sd. In ogni caso, ciao Mattia! Fa piacere ritrovare qualche italiano anche qui!

Mattia

Quote from: walter_F on February 15, 2023, 11:57:00 PM
hello everyone, like mattia i bought a 5d mark iii, actually i got it today and i have already tried danne's release with anamorphic at 5.7k. I use a 64gb cf komputer bay 1066x and a 128gb lexar 1667x sd. the quality of the files is exceptional... i wanted to thank danne and everyone for the valuable advice i found on the forum. given my inexperience in video with ml, until now I had only used it for photography with a 6D, I didn't know if there were any differences in writing speed by installing the release in the cf compared to the sd. where did you install it? in any case I did some tests and I got more or less the same speeds for a total of 153mbps with memory overclock at 240hz regardless of whether ml was on cf or sd. In ogni caso, ciao Mattia! Fa piacere ritrovare qualche italiano anche qui!

È sempre bello! Dovremmo fare un thread tipo "Magic Lantern Italy"! Hahahah

Anyway.. I was just asking myself which are the best (and the fastest) sd and cf models for the 5d mark III.. Are there some "official" Magic Lantern suggested models?

Danne

My build runs bilals sd_uhs code. 240Mhz. Don't get any faster than that.

walter_F

Yes of course I'll keep it on these frequencies, also because for now I haven't had any problems with the few tests I've done. I have a question for you Danne. I bought the 5dmkiii both to shoot from the ground, but I would like to test it on a fpv cinelifter. It is somehow possible
extract gyroscope data for a stabilization of the footage in post?

Walter Schulz

Stabilization in post -> reducing resolution.
If it is high frequency shake/vibration you may end with unusable footage. I have some unrecoverable footage from some GoPro mounted to a motorcycle and in the wrong place.
Best add stabilization to gear and as little as possible (or none at all) in post.

walter_F

yes surely there is a minimum of degradation, you always have to find the right compromise, in the air every gram you save means flying more time and with greater safety, surely the best solution would be an rs3 or something like that. I have been stabilizing gopro footage for years and now we have achieved excellent results with gyroflow, as well as with cameras such as blackmagic or red

Mattia

Any advice for the SD and CF cards to use with the 5d Mark III? Which model is better to work with Magic Lantern?

vastunghia

Quote from: Mattia on February 17, 2023, 09:59:07 AM
Any advice for the SD and CF cards to use with the 5d Mark III? Which model is better to work with Magic Lantern?

I have these...

Quote from: vastunghia on February 14, 2023, 07:34:05 PM
SD: SanDisk 128 GB Extreme PRO 95 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30
CF: Lexar 256GB 1066x 160 MB/s UDMA 7 VPG-65

With these, I get almost 150 MB/s...

Quote from: vastunghia on September 09, 2022, 04:37:30 PM

• 153.8 MB/s (with unitary prefixes, i.e. 1000 Bytes per kB etc)
  • 146.7 MB/s (with binary prefixes, i.e. 1024 convention)

Beat that 8)
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Walter Schulz

For SD: Any UHS-I labeled W90 or higher. Exception: Kingston Canvas.
CF: Looks like a very fast card draws a higher load thus reducing combined storage. The jury is still out about this. We need more real life data.
See https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26641.msg240244#msg240244
If your takes are shorter than 20 minutes I would not care about this and go for a Komputerbay 1066x 128 GB.

Mattia

I have a 256gb Samsung Pro Plus (160mbps in writing) SD card which I was using on my previous system, a Canon Eos M, and which now I intend to use on my 5d3. Which CF card do you suggest to use with this specific SD?

Walter Schulz

Answered. And your Samsung is labeled R160/W130, not W160.

Mattia

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 21, 2023, 03:54:16 PM
Answered. And your Samsung is labeled R160/W130, not W160.

Yes, I confused read and write speeds, sorry..

I have a problem with a bad pixel. It gets eliminated with "auto" bad pixels fix but are there some bad pixels maps for the 5d3? Or how can I create one?

Mattia

Quote from: Mattia on February 21, 2023, 04:42:52 PM
Yes, I confused read and write speeds, sorry..

I have a problem with a bad pixel. It gets eliminated with "auto" bad pixels fix but are there some bad pixels maps for the 5d3? Or how can I create one?

Nevermind, I've found out how to do it

Mattia

Maybe a silly question: why I do not have the "Card Spanning" option? Is it because I don't have a CF card or the latest Danne build is just like that?

dpjpandone

If you don't have two cards in the camera there can be no spanning