Danne's crop_rec_4k, 5DIII

Started by Danne, November 09, 2018, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpjpandone

you might want to check the option in the ml menu under card settings and make sure that the preferred card is set to CF, also check the option in canon menu and set rec/play to CF

MCChristor

@Danne Possible to get Adtg GUI / Iso Regs working with crop_rec or put some specific adtg registers in the crop_rec. Is CMOS(4) the same CMOS as the CMOS(4) in the adtg gui? Idk why but I cannot compile crop_rec.c

Danne

You can modify cmos4 directly in the build yes.

dpjpandone

Hey Danne,
can you clarify something for me? In the "data format" submenu help text, are the recommended iso settings to aid with a more efficient compression rate? Or is there a quality improvement to be had by following the suggested iso ranges? Obviously a lower iso results in a cleaner image, no question about that but where it says "14-bit recommended iso less than 100" or "12-bit lossless recommended iso 100-1600" are there any side effects other than an increased bitrate and noise when shooting high iso?

pepper_chip

Quote from: dpjpandone on December 29, 2022, 10:43:49 PM
Hey Danne,
can you clarify something for me? In the "data format" submenu help text, are the recommended iso settings to aid with a more efficient compression rate? Or is there a quality improvement to be had by following the suggested iso ranges? Obviously a lower iso results in a cleaner image, no question about that but where it says "14-bit recommended iso less than 100" or "12-bit lossless recommended iso 100-1600" are there any side effects other than an increased bitrate and noise when shooting high iso?

Hi, in my practice 14 bit uncompressed cleaner at all iso's in the shadows than 10/12 bits

Danne

Quote from: dpjpandone on December 29, 2022, 10:43:49 PM
Hey Danne,

Iso ranges and canon digic V sensors are worth a few hours digging. On a sidenote my eos R6 is a complete redesign in sensor output. Instead of pulling back highlights I can expose for highlight and then pull back my shadows and to a very rough extreme. Still clean image.
So iso 100 on 5diii and without exposing to the right the shadows will crack sooner than iso 800.

dpjpandone

Quote from: Danne on December 30, 2022, 01:45:45 PM
So iso 100 on 5diii and without exposing to the right the shadows will crack sooner than iso 800.

you can't just drop a bomb like that and walk off-stage.

Come again?

are you comparing traditionally proper exposure at iso 100 to an ETTR at 800? or are we talking apples to apples?

Danne

This is common knowledge around here. You can do a simple test by shooting two matched files with iso 100 and 800. Just change shutter speed to match exposure. Then lift shadows in post. Iso 100 works best when minimum shadowlifting is needed. Then you get noiseless iso 100. Otherwise iso 400 and higher will reduce shadow issues.

rinski

Hello, I wanted to report that the December 2nd version makes many errors such as corrupt frames and high instability in full anamorphic.
Thank you.

Bruno Italiano

Ben_R

Hi Danne!
I also have a question around your MLV version. I use it with an anamorphic lense on a 35mm objective, so the 3,3 and 3,5k 5x centered modes are pretty usefull for me.
How does it come that the 3,3k preset offeres a higher vertical resolution? Are there any differences in quality between those two presets?
Also: when i chose 14-bit lossless in the RAW Video tab and then alter the Bitdepth tab in the Movie tab, does that affect the footage in any way?

Thanks for your work!

Best
Ben

Danne

Added new versions in first post:

- sd_uhs from theBilalFakhouri(192/240Mhz high speed patches)
- Putting back CONFIG_RESTORE_AFTER_FORMAT(formatting and keeping ML on card after restore)

dpjpandone

Quote from: Danne on December 30, 2022, 01:45:45 PM
Iso ranges and canon digic V sensors are worth a few hours digging.

Hey Danne, I noticed something quirky I thought you might have some insight:

Let me preface this by saying I understand that ML digital iso has no effect on raw video (although it is a nice feature for .h264)

When shooting raw, if the bit depth is set to 12bit, digital iso DOES affect preview on the LCD as well as an external monitor. I have tested to confirm this is only affecting the preview and not the recorded file. My question is does this happen for a reason? Is it a feature, a bug, or a side effect? I am currently using this as a feature because my (evolving) method for cleaner shadows is to overexpose by one stop in camera then pull down in post (similar to push/pull processing with film) setting the ML digital ISO to a negative value allows me to preview the shot as it would appear after a post-processing pull. I wonder if there is a way to duplicate this behavior for other bitdepths?

Danne

Preview output is matched to meet the brightness when selecting 12bit and 10bit. Not perfect when using those bitdepth overrides in Movie tab but usable at least.

dpjpandone

Quote from: Danne on January 08, 2023, 05:29:08 AM
Preview output is matched to meet the brightness when selecting 12bit and 10bit.

Where is this happening? mlv_lite? do you know the approximate line number or a keyword I can search?  My goal is to make 14bit preview behave the same way

setup_bit_depth_digital_gain ?

Danne

14bit? How do you mean?
I change brightness in crop_rec.c. Below example is for the eos M:
         if (OUTPUT_10BIT)
         {
             EngDrvOutLV(0xC0F42744, 0x4040404);
         }

if (OUTPUT_12BIT)
         {
             EngDrvOutLV(0xC0F42744, 0x2020202);
         }

How it works otherwise I have no idea.

dpjpandone

Quote from: Danne on January 08, 2023, 08:38:01 AM
14bit? How do you mean?

digital gain (ML options- image fine tuning) only affects preview in 10 or 12 bit. In 14-bit it has no effect

ShittyWebsite

Hi Danne, is it possible to add
RAW_PREVIEW_GRAY_ULTRA_FAST
to the 1:1 crop modes? the BW preview in anamorphic modes is almost real-time

perhaps as a option on/off?

Thank you

Danne

Yes possible. Maybe makes more sense to always use RAW_PREVIEW_GRAY_ULTRA_FAST while we are recording? Or maybe an option as you say. I´ll see what I can do :).

Danne

New builds:

GRAY_ULTRA_FAST is enabled for all presets when in menu Crop rec preview is set to Auto mode. Turn to OFF and framing works the old way alternating between color and b&w preview. GRAY_ULTRA_FAST is fast though, more useful.

kpn

Seems to be working great so far, haven't experienced any bugs yet, appreciate your work Danne!

Grognard

Quote from: Danne on January 09, 2023, 08:46:39 PM
New builds:

GRAY_ULTRA_FAST is enabled for all presets when in menu Crop rec preview is set to Auto mode. Turn to OFF and framing works the old way alternating between color and b&w preview. GRAY_ULTRA_FAST is fast though, more useful.

One of the best Updates. Thank you Danne!
We have our (almost) realtime preview ;-)

Of course it's b&w and low resolution but it's really better than half frame colour/ half frame b&w and very very low.

Danne

True. Good tip from ShittyWebsite.

vastunghia

Tested 2023Jan09 1.2.3, works like a charm -- thank you Danne!

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Danne

You are welcome. Latest changes were picked from theBilalFakhouri.