Danne's crop_rec_4k, 5DIII

Started by Danne, November 09, 2018, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShittyWebsite

Just wondering, would be possible record 5760 x 1080 then stretching vertical to 3240 ?
Same as 1920x2300 but the other way around

I don't know the right name, 1x3 or 3x1
Thanks

bouncyball

Quality wise vertical resolution is more important than horizontal. So I think this makes no sense.

Danne

motionSOUL

Question : would it be possible to have an anamorphic mode in x2 to add to the x3 arsenal, with less vertical resolution to keep a realistic recording rate ?
x3 is a bit extreme when filming portrait for example with all the hairs aliasing.
Or it is a totally dumb question, which can be.

Thanks,

S/.

masc

Quote from: motionSOUL on January 23, 2022, 10:04:51 AM
Question : would it be possible to have an anamorphic mode in x2 to add to the x3 arsenal, with less vertical resolution to keep a realistic recording rate ?
Read about 1x3 recording mode and you should find your answer: https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/glossary#anamorphic https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/pixel_binning
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

motionSOUL

Ah yes, so dumb question. I didn't thought about the RGB sensor readout.

motionSOUL

I try to record 1920x1050 48fps, which keep giving me errors when recording on CF cards. So I've tried to record it directly on SD card.
I've tested SD patch with my SanDisk Extreme PRO 95 MB/s with no result as ML always says my Card is Full, but it isn't.
So I've tested to record without the patch and only succeeded for 70 frames each time.
Is it possible to record longer takes ?
If I buy a 170 MB/s will I have more chances ?
And does a Lexar HC II 300 MB/s makes a difference ?

Thanks for the help...

S/.

masc

Try 2 cards in parallel, SD+CF using card spanning. One single card will be too slow.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Card spanning not recommended with higher frame rates on 5DIII. Not working well unfortunately.

Bruno Italiano

SanDisk Extreme PRO 95 MB/s is one of the fastest SD cards. I would record in high frame rates with a very fast CF card only.

Kharak

Quote from: motionSOUL on January 24, 2022, 10:42:04 AM
I try to record 1920x1050 48fps, which keep giving me errors when recording on CF cards. So I've tried to record it directly on SD card.
I've tested SD patch with my SanDisk Extreme PRO 95 MB/s with no result as ML always says my Card is Full, but it isn't.
So I've tested to record without the patch and only succeeded for 70 frames each time.
Is it possible to record longer takes ?
If I buy a 170 MB/s will I have more chances ?
And does a Lexar HC II 300 MB/s makes a difference ?

Thanks for the help...

S/.

No, a higher speed SD card will not help because the SD interface is limited to about 20 MB/s. You getting 70 frames is your buffer filling up and then writing those 70 frames to your sd card, because the sd card has no chance to keep up. If you shoot 24 fps fullHD, you'd typically get around 124-140 frames before recording stops.

Try reducing the resolution slightly.

And only record to CF card.

You should get almost continues, depending on luminance and detail in the scene, mind you the lossless compression will compress less in complex scenes e.g. wide shots with hyperfocal focus and vice versa a 85 mm with only a face in focus and the rest a blur.

Happy shooting!
once you go raw you never go back

motionSOUL

motionSOUL

5DMKIII, 1.1.3, last ML build, CF+SD write benchmark (1 min) :

SD: 19.1 MB/s - CF: 85.5 MB/s
SD 160MHz overclock: 49.8 MB/s - CF: 60.1 MB/s

Does it make any sense? The overclock mode on SD card slow down the CF writing speed here... Anyone else?

S/.

happyta5

I'm shooting at 5.7K 16:9 and like to have a external monitor. Anyone has experience on it? Just don't want to buy a field monitor(7"} that does not work. Any suggestion is welcome!

ShittyWebsite

5DMKIII CF+SD benchmark (1 min):

SD 160mhz overclock:
SD: 65.7mb/s
CF: 72.8mb/s

No overlock:
SD: 21.8mb/s
CF: 80.7mb/s

My only problem is:
When i'm shooting "full-res liveview" with rec trigger Half-shutter: hold
The camera freezes, only removing the battery works

kidfob

Hello all. Thanks for all your help and support regarding Magic Lantern. I would like to start using 5.7k Anamorphic on professional shoots (short films). The difficulty is that unlike a traditional video camera, our ability to monitor the scene we're shooting is difficult. This makes framing difficult and racking focus as the subject approaches the camera or moves away from the camera.

Any workarounds for this?

dream951

Quote from: Danne on September 02, 2020, 04:29:00 PM
You can try "Switch". Uses a1ex updated cr2hdr code.
Hey Danne. Where I can get a1ex updated cr2hdr code?
I don't quite understand where to look for this, sorry if this is a stupid question ::)
5DIII crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2022May15.5D3123
Sigma Art 24/1.4 50/1.4 135/1.8 + Canon 24-105/4 70-200/4 + Samyang 8/3.5 + Helios 58-2

Danne

What are you using it for? Mac or windows? These days code is not that easy to find sonce mercurial was buried.

I added two new 5d3 builds. Increased 1080p 38 fps to 40 fps. Seems stable enough.

dream951

Quote from: sm105 on September 02, 2020, 01:01:28 AM
I've been successfully using Danne's builds since earlier this summer (awesome work!), and I just started testing out dual iso raw video. I feel like I'm doing something wrong because I'm getting weird colors, lines, and regions of cyan. For the frame below, I used the 3K preset with the following settings:

Aug. 14 build (1.2.3)
2560x1440
16x9 AR
10-bit
Histogram and zebras enabled
Dual-iso enabled at 100/800
Slightly underexposed from ETTR
Dual-iso ON in MLV App

I also tried an earlier build and had the same issue. Any idea what I'm missing?

Just set Vertical stripes in mlvapp to off. It works for me
5DIII crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2022May15.5D3123
Sigma Art 24/1.4 50/1.4 135/1.8 + Canon 24-105/4 70-200/4 + Samyang 8/3.5 + Helios 58-2

ShittyWebsite

Is it possible to playback full res photo?
i'm getting "allocation failed" weirdly (when shooting full res at 16:9 it worked and 2 days ago it does not work anymore)
Maybe i messed up something?

My settings:

Preset:
Full-res LiveView with focus aid

RAW video:
Resolution: 5784x3254
Aspect: 16:9
Data: 14bit lossless
Preview: Framing
Crop rec preview: off
Card spanning: Off
Preferred card: CF
Kill global draw: off
Pre record: 1 Frame
Rec trigger: Half-shutter: pre only
SRM: on
Small hacks: off

70MM13

Try booting with no unnecessary modules loaded/enabled...

ShittyWebsite

I found a fix:

The camera shooting mode must be at:
Raw only (either jpg or raw+jpg did not work, allocation error when pressing play while in liveview)

2:
The aspect ratio has to be at 16:9 or lower (5:3 will cause allocation error and freeze the liveview)

Playback works perfectly

IDA_ML

vastunghia

All,

a question regarding SD overclock.

With Danne's fantastic build I am able to shoot continuously in 3.3K 1:1 x5 mode (currently my favorite): I obtain 110 MB/s on average, with

• CF card contributing 70 MB/s and
  • SD card (overclocked @160 MHz) around 40 MB/s.
When I step up at 3.5K 1:1 centered x5 mode, however, the only way to obtain continuous shooting (apart from lowering bit depth, which is not an option imo) is to disable Global Draw - which is a pain in the neck of course, as framing preview is completely lost. However, done that, I do obtain continuous recording and of course higher write speeds than with 3.3K 1:1 x5.

So 1st question is: am I correct in deducing that higher overclock rates (say 192 or 240 MHz, as available on 70D for instance), if implemented, would be of no help in obtaining continuous rec. in 3.5K 1:1 centered x5 mode with Global Draw enabled? I.e. there must be another bottleneck somewhere preventing this, regardless of max write speed achievable by SD card?

2nd question: what is preventing from implementing higher overclock rates in the 5DM3?

Thanks a lot

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

wib

From my experience, it's easy to get continuous recording.

card spanning, 14 bit lossless selected and also 10 bits enabled on top, in 3.5K 1:1 at the maximum resolution (for me 2:20 ratio and 3584x1630)

I set up 2 display mode : one with no global drawing, and with the push of a button, one with normal framing, the record never stops, only the status dot changes from green to orange doing so, but you have to go back to no global drawing.
EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123