Danne's crop_rec_4k, 5DIII

Started by Danne, November 09, 2018, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Not sure if I follow you entirely here. Owning both an eos m and a 5DIII I don´t see much need of use of patching or even recording onto a sd card on the 5DIII. If you want more stable recording don´t enable sd uhs at all. On the eos m on the other hand, patching is needed imo.

ewinemiller

Lately I've been shooting in the 3.5k 1:1 centered x5 mode at 3456x1728 10bit. It's continuous with card spanning and SD overclock, but only a few seconds without either. There are certainly plenty of good modes without spanning or overclock, but it does open more options.

Danne

rinski

Hello, could you explain what the parameters are, for the x5 mode centered 1: 1 from 3.5k to 3456x1728 10bit, I can't use it. Thank you.

ChristianEOS

"Not sure if I follow you entirely here. Owning both an eos m and a 5DIII I don´t see much need of use..." (me also)
Of course it isn't necessary. Recording in 60p you still can push it more to the limits. I will do as you wrote. I didn't want to disturb.
Christian Bruno James

wib

I would like to add to this that sometimes there are mlv recorded in 3.5 with card spanning that end up without audio track. I don't know if it's related to card spanning or to sd_uhs with card spanning...
EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

Danne

Could you upload one recording with missing audio? There are more than one way to develop footage that could solve this. Most likely audio is still there.

ewinemiller

Quote from: rinski on February 04, 2021, 07:58:35 PM
Hello, could you explain what the parameters are, for the x5 mode centered 1: 1 from 3.5k to 3456x1728 10bit, I can't use it. Thank you.

I'm using a slightly tweaked build of Danne's work with just a few extra Ratio presets in the Movie menu, but the settings below should get you there with his build.

Presets  3.5k  1:1 centered x5
RAW Video
     Resolution  3456x1728
     Aspect ratio 2:1
     Data format 14-bit lossless
     Preview Framing
     Crop rec preview auto mode
     Card spanning on
Bit Depth 10 bit
Ratio Off
SD overclock 160mhz

and most importantly, you have to have the right SD card. After seeing success with other folks I got one of these and no problems. It's got to be the 170mb/s. I have one of the 95mb/s ones and no luck with it. Haven't seen the lost sound issue.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9VX76D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any fast writing compact flash seems fine. I use a variety of Komputer Bay 1000x or better cards.

Bender@arsch

Quote from: Danne on February 05, 2021, 01:29:51 PM
Could you upload one recording with missing audio? There are more than one way to develop footage that could solve this. Most likely audio is still there.

I have this problem sometimes too, here is an shortend example:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1pLemHSb2UynLEkaIJuNA7eIHmKYzDrDJ

Danne

No shortened file please. Obviously would affect audio length if shortened. This check needs complete files.

Bender@arsch

OK, in 8min there is a 600mb clip online. Same Link

Danne

Checking metadata:
File Header (MLVI)
    Size        : 0x00000034
    Ver         : v2.0
    GUID        : 17047428700475394385
    FPS         : 23.976000
    File        : 0 / 0
    Frames Video: 132
    Frames Audio: 0
    Class Video : 0x00000021
    Class Audio : 0x00000001

Frames Audio: 0 so I guess something would not allow wav file to be recorded. Is this reproducable? Only happening in 3.5k mode?

rinski

Algo 5k anamorphic eos m 7 minutes, Full anamorphic 5d3 19 minutes. Thanks you

wib

reproductible yes.

here is 3 records attempt (the link is 2Go; is it ok for your connection ?) https://we.tl/t-Cogz5FvXHN

• 1st clip : there is sound.
  • 2nd : no sound. I checked also with mlrawviewer, the wav generated is empty.
  • 3rd clip : there is sound

The settings :

Presets  3.5k  1:1 centered x5
RAW Video
     Resolution  3584x1630
     Aspect ratio 2:20
     Data format 14-bit lossless
     Preview Framing
     Crop rec preview auto mode
     Kill Global Draw ON
     Card spanning on
Bit Depth 10 bit
Ratio Off
SD overclock 160mhz
EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

Danne

Thanks. And what about when disabling card spanning? Try to find a way that is working maybe? Or do you know that it is card spanning?

Bender@arsch

Quote from: Danne on February 05, 2021, 05:01:06 PM
Checking metadata:
File Header (MLVI)
    Size        : 0x00000034
    Ver         : v2.0
    GUID        : 17047428700475394385
    FPS         : 23.976000
    File        : 0 / 0
    Frames Video: 132
    Frames Audio: 0
    Class Video : 0x00000021
    Class Audio : 0x00000001

Frames Audio: 0 so I guess something would not allow wav file to be recorded. Is this reproducable? Only happening in 3.5k mode?

Not really. In my Files i have no audio in 0% up to 33% of shoot sessions. And this is not only in 3.5K, in UHD 1x1 and 3.3K (16:9) is the same problem, but not so often i think. I delet some older clips, so i can't see older tests with Anamorphic. But in all records i use cardspanning + sd overclocking.
I think i need some systematic tests (camera on, record and stop, changing bitdepth, record and stop, changing bitdepth, refresh liveview, record and stop, focusing, record and stop, 10x zoom, record and stop and so...)

Danne

Oki. From what you describe it seems related to card spanning. If possible do more tests without card spanning.

IDA_ML

I would like to report a very strange behavior of the 5D3 with the latest Jan. 30-th 2021 build.  When I turn all presets off to default to the normal 1920x1080/24 fps mode, when I change the bit depth from 14 (off) to 12, 10, 9 and 8, the preview looks perfectly equal at all bit depths but with every bit depth reduction by one step in the above sequence, the recorded footage gets overexposed by one stop compared to the previous one.  I noticed that after filming at 12 bit and then decided to go down to 10 bit.  The 10-bit footage was overexposed by one stop compared to the 12 bit one, with all other settings unchanged.  This also happens with the anamorphic modes.

I have shot a bit depth sequence that illustrates this.  Here are single MLV frames from each clip:

https://we.tl/t-MfE2qkSiAQ

Is this normal?

Danne

Use the bitdepth menu from raw video if you turn off crop rec. Set it to OFF in Movie tab.

Edit: You can also correct those files with white level slider in Mlv App.

IDA_ML

Yes, correcting the white level of these strange (overexposed) looking files works quite well in MLVApp but this requires manual adjustment of every clip separately.  Moreover, if you try to do that in Resolve with MLVFS, fixing white level is almost impossible.  Why can't the correct white level at each bit depth be hard coded in the camera as this used to be in older builds?

Danne

What build exactly?
Learning compiling and essential code will answer most questions and help me and others from drowning in repeatable questions.
I have very little time to refine stuff. Help needed.

IDA_ML

Danne

I will see if I can add some disabling of bitdepths when crop rec i set to off.

Danne

New builds in first post.

Movie tab bitdepth routines will be turned off when crop rec is turned to OFF. Use bitdepth routines from raw video menu instead if needed in this case.

Bender@arsch

Quote from: Danne on February 06, 2021, 01:21:17 PM
Oki. From what you describe it seems related to card spanning. If possible do more tests without card spanning.

I tested some multiple recording delay tests with cardspanning and without (2sec. clips) and the result is: No failure in wihout cardspanning, but i found another interesting thing.
In the cardspanning tests: After a clip without audio, the next clip was only recordet on CF card and this clip is about 900mb bigger  (~300mb vs 1250mb). But the clip before has the same filesize (~150mb)

here 3 files example:
1. with audio, 2. wihout audio 3. bigger size and with audio

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1pLemHSb2UynLEkaIJuNA7eIHmKYzDrDJ

I also tested without SD overclocking -> same result. There are also 3 times without audio behind each other -> all 3 clips after the first clip without audio are much bigger and the first 2 without audio, but this time there is a 1kb file on the SD Card (from the 2 bigger files without audio).

I hope this will help.

-------------------
Edit: files are bigger because more frames...