Danne's crop_rec_4k, 5DIII

Started by Danne, November 09, 2018, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Quote from: michaelfilm on January 25, 2021, 10:58:39 AM
aah, now I understand the principle that in the old post 23may2019 the builds are refreshed
:)
Yup, correct.

michaelfilm

Thanks Danne!
To understand the new menu structure, I suppose I'll read from the old post and as far as it's possible for my layman understanding;
- try it out myself.
At the moment I can't even manage a continious rec. with higher resolution... :)
I can't put 12 bit losless on, etc.
But I will try that now...
I want to switch quite simply from FF-HD-25p in best possible quality -
to a higher resolution (with the lowest possible crop factor (around 1.80 or lower) and continuous recording.
Until now:
5dmk3
fast KomputerBay 64GB CF (no SD)
crop rec 4k Build 2018-07-22 13:09
mostly 3072x1320 1.81 crop (5x) or FF-HD
12Bit losless

With the problem in FF-HD:
In 12Bit losless it comes to "vagabond" pixel errors at edgy spots that look like digital fireflies:)
If I take 14 Bit or 14Bit Losless: ColorScience tilts from ISO 800 clearly into the reddish...

I'll stop right here in the forum with my inflationary lush text:)
I don't hope that someone will explain everything to me...:)

----The only question I have is whether I can find solutions to the problems I outlined above here in your build.

Danne

Instead of using bitdepth options in raw video menu keep that set to 14bit lossless. Then select Bitdepth from Movie tab menu instead. It´s a workaround. Image will appear greenish when in 10bit but recorded file will look right.

winmediacenter

Hello everybody.

I just downloaded Danne's newest build (2020Dec11) and made some tests. My cards : Lexar Professional CF 64GB 1066x and SANDISK Extreme Pro 128GB 170/90.

With Card spanning on and SD Overclock mode i was able to record most of the modes continously. But that's not the case.
I started to make some speed tests with different modes and this is a conclusion:

In my opinion 3.5K x5 centered is the best mode for highest possible resolution with reasonable previev (Kill global draw - on).
3584x1500 (1.60x) in 10bit continous  satisfies me the most, but... few days ago i was still using cropp_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3123.zip and noticed interesting thing.  I always recorded 3,5k x5 centered with lower resolution because of lack of overclock option.
After update to your version i noticed that the image is not centered as it was before. It's because of increasing the maximum resolution in this mode? Now i can record more Mpix but its more misaligned than before. :(

I think this is still best mode to use when we consider speed/quality/ability to focus when recording. The recording speeds are also very promising. Maybe we should focus on that mode more than before?

Btw. awesome job Danne i'm grateful for your job. Thanks to your work guys i can enjoy my 5D much more. :):)

Danne

Thanks for feedback. I did some centering changes, that is correct. Let me know your exact resolution you are using and I will take a look later.

Danne

I tested the 3.5k and the way I use it it´s centered. That is I only use it with ratio options 2.39:1, 2.35:1 and 16:9 from ratio menu under Movie tab menu not changing resolution.

winmediacenter

I,ve checked one more time to make sure. In previously used build (magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3123.zip) the picture is perfectly aligned to the center but resolution is limited to 3584x1320 (maybe that's the catch). I'm not able to achieve higher horizontal resolution than 1320.

In your build i'm using 3584x1500 (maximum possible) and image is definitely shifted down. Even when i choose one of the ratios (eg. 2,39:1) from Movie tab it still far from perfect. I've tried different ratios with same results.

I also tried to set the same resolution i used before - same result.

Is it possible to shift the "picture" slightly to the top? Tomorrow i'll try to add some overlayed frames from both of the builds to show you the difference.

3,5K centered x5 is the most misaligned mode by now. In previous build it was UHD. It was significantly shifted down but in your build its nearly perfect.

Danne

Push the joystick button to centre rectangle. If you want to see rectangle Go to Display tab and turn off Kill Canon Gui.
Report back if this works for you.

winmediacenter

I've tried it many times. I'm always trying to set the rectangle to the center. I also tried to move the rectangle to the top to move entire image and it triggers camera freeze and need to pull the battery out.

Danne

I think I need to see a screen recording from install and forward to see what´s going on. It works here and it´s centred so not sure what to do.

EDIT: Wait, Ill check once more, downloading the dec 11th build now.

Tested, works like intended. Please provide a screen movie recording to help further.

winmediacenter

Uninstalled ML and performed clean install. I didn't change the resolution only set aspect ratio to off (with 2,39:1 in nothing changed at all - the same framing)

this is a comparison of different modes.  Lens - Samyang 8mm

comparison-00000" border="0

As you can see 3,5K x5 centered is too much to the bottom of the frame. I also noticed some exposure change in 3.3K mode. You can see it on a short video i added.

Danne

In the preset sub menu try and alter CMOS[1] lo or CMOS[1] hi and see if you can fine tune vertical positioning. Share yor findngs here.
Horisontal offset should be "CMOS[2]".
Exposure change? Maybe only preview when 12bit kicks in? Shouldn´t affect recorded image. Try 14bit.

winmediacenter

I think it did the job. I found that CMOS[1] lo - 9 and CMOS[1]hi - 12 works best for me.. but how can i save those?

Danne

Is that setting valid for 3584x1730 or is that for lowered resolution? What about the original cmos 1 when in 3584x1730?

You can change this in crop_rec.c:
                /* raw buffer centered in zoom mode */
            case CROP_PRESET_CENTER_Z:
                cmos_new[1] = PACK12(11,61); /* vertical (first|last) */
                cmos_new[2] = 0x09E;            /* horizontal offset (mask 0xFF0) */
                break;

This:
                cmos_new[1] = PACK12(11,61); /* vertical (first|last) */
into:
                cmos_new[1] = PACK12(9,12); /* vertical (first|last) */

Of course, if it´s valid for all ratios I will put it into my builds.

winmediacenter

Quote from: Danne on January 30, 2021, 06:46:09 PM
Is that setting valid for 3584x1730 or is that for lowered resolution? What about the original cmos 1 when in 3584x1730?

I tested it for 3584x1500 (2,39:1) and also for maximum 3584x1730. Works just fine for those two.

Am i need to recompile the code with special software? (sorry for questions but i'm not a programmer). I can try this with all three ratios under Movie tab if you need it.

Edit:

checked for all three ratios - no issues.

With the original CMOS1 (3584x1730) still to much to the bottom.
9 , 60 seem to work fine as well

Danne

winmediacenter

Everything works just fine with all three ratios. Also recorded some footage and postprocess it to make sure. I will test it further. Thanks for quick response. :)

Danne

ChristianEOS

I will test the built has anything changed with the "anamorphic advanced" Presets?
So that 25p in 5.7 still works. Similar than second and first version of 5.7 k?
Does the One screen "display Menü" work with only clicking menu?
Christian Bruno James

Danne

Only 3.5k preset cmos 1 changed. No need to download for what you are seeking.

rinski

Hello, I wanted to inform that with the version 01-30-21 for 5d3 in full anamorphic it generates a multitude of corrupt black squares.
Thank you.

Danne

Quote from: rinski on February 01, 2021, 05:08:33 PM
Hello, I wanted to inform that with the version 01-30-21 for 5d3 in full anamorphic it generates a multitude of corrupt black squares.
Thank you.
Yes, you can keep them all for free.

ChristianEOS

Danne very funny ;) grey pictures also are for free:)
It is actually a stable version I think that somehow also with versions before I change sd160. When I start the camera new the whole magical Lantern reset it. That only happens with sd160 sometimes I write mlv files from CF to SD that works a little more stable without the sd160 if you know what I mean?
Christian Bruno James

Danne

Yes. Sd_uhd itself can cause instabilities. It's questionable if it should be used or not but some cases showed to work. As long as you know this it can stay included in the build.

ChristianEOS

Thinking about how a public/ stable version might look like? I think the 5. 7 k is a cinematic difference. Since Zeek makes quiet an often seen impression of SD uhs 160 that would be also available?
Christian Bruno James