Danne's crop_rec_4k, 5DIII

Started by Danne, November 09, 2018, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Well, 3k 1:1 and x5 zoom is pretty much the same. Only x10 will help for focusing in this case. Just use halfshutter zoomaid(x10) zoom and releasing back to normal.

70MM13

here's a message to let everyone know that sd overclocking is still alive and well for the 5d3!
i just filmed a new zen episode at 3.5k under extremely challenging outdoor full sun and windy conditions with no stops for over 15 minutes thanks to the new overclocking module that ilia and danne have continued quietly working on... and it works like a champ on my sandisk extreme pro 170 card!

anyone else brave enough to play with it should do so!  it's in danne's file repository...

keep up the great work, guys!

overclocking and card spanning have revitalised my workflow and my former 3*3 binning 1920 filming is now always 3.5k continuous!

the 5d3 still has a lot of life as a very serious filmmaking tool...

peace to everyone.

ilia3101

It's all Danne ;) (and a1ex originally)

70MM13

oh my!

i can't believe a1ex has fallen off of my radar.  of course, all thanks go to him first!!!

i miss the days when a1ex was right at the front of everything.  we were so spoiled!

thank you a1ex!!!

DeafEyeJedi

Nice. Looking forward to your Zen work @ 3.5K w no stops @70MM13!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

70MM13

thanks!  unfortunately i am still stuck with cellphone internet here making it impractical to upload 4k, so the episodes are downsampled to 1080, but the extra detail and lack of aliasing is very apparent!

i'm working on a new industrial music video and it will be uploaded at 4k :)

vstrglv

Quote from: 70MM13 on June 06, 2020, 07:49:56 PM
here's a message to let everyone know that sd overclocking is still alive and well for the 5d3!
i just filmed a new zen episode at 3.5k under extremely challenging outdoor full sun and windy conditions with no stops for over 15 minutes

Good news! What resolution and fps at 3.5k do you use for continued recording?
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

70MM13

anywhere in the low 3000's on the x axis at 2.35:1, varying by the framing of the shot i am after/glass being used...
23.976 always for me!

also 14 bit lossless.  no luck at reduced bit depths for me.  never looks right...  it would be nice to see development of bit reduction within the mlv_lite crop_rec module (brain fart!).  i think it would look better :)

if we had true 10 bit data, with bit reduction occuring immediately after image acquisition i think 3840 true continuous recording would be attainable, but i know nothing...  just a hopeful guess!

but... 14 bits is very nice and i am very, very happy!  just need dual card support in mlvapp!!

vstrglv

Thank you! Would you please upload 14bit and 12,10 bit  lossless frames?
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

Danne

Quote from: 70MM13 on June 15, 2020, 06:51:12 PM
also 14 bit lossless.  no luck at reduced bit depths for me.  never looks right...  it would be nice to see development of bit reduction within the mlv_lite crop_rec module (brain fart!).  i think it would look better :)
It will never look 14bit, that´s for sure. please upload comparison examples and explain why what you see is not true reduced bitdepths.

ilia3101

I think "true" reduced bitdepths would mean digitally reduced from 14 bit sensor output, and not done through analogue gain. I guess "true" is not the best word.

In UHD 1:1, 12 bit introduces unusual vertical stripes that don't go away: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MwIFbHDki9Cmc6sv25xabeCZIaEEXC8g/view?usp=sharing

(that doesn't happen in 3K preset)

Danne

Interesting. That might be fixable. I use some generic way to reduce bitdepth but it could be tweaked if not your sensor is having this problem. When I have some time over I´ll test to reproduce the issue.
The result is the same I think reducing analog gain vs digitally reduced or whatever we choose to call it. At least I´d like to see proof there´s any difference. So far I haven´t heard of anyone understanding fully how it´s done, except for a1ex of course.

ilia3101

Quote from: Danne on June 16, 2020, 07:10:21 PM
Interesting. That might be fixable.
Just realised I should try a dark frame. But I'm not too hopeful, doesn't really look like FPN (no purple/green tinting).

I use some generic way to reduce bitdepth but it could be tweaked if not your sensor is having this problem. When I have some time over I´ll test to reproduce the issue.
Would be very interesting to see if other cameras have this issue.

The result is the same I think reducing analog gain vs digitally reduced or whatever we choose to call it. At least I´d like to see proof there´s any difference.

Maybe there's not as much of difference as I thought. Yesterday was the first time I realised those stripes only appear in UHD mode.

Shouldn't be too hard to do a comparison. MLV App can export to 12 bit from 14 bit I assume.

So far I haven´t heard of anyone understanding fully how it´s done, except for a1ex of course.
Would love to know more :)

Hydrazine

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my head around the builds with card spanning (was this removed along with sd_uhs?). There seems to be a branch before Danne removed sh_uhs (as per post #363) named crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_card_spanning, last updated Jan 26 2020. Is this the one I should be attempting to compile if I want card spanning and not necessarily SD overclocking? Do I lose the more recent changes and updates of the main crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets branch? How do I actually compile this after using Mercurial to clone?

Danne

I updated my download post added the sd_uhs module. Check bottom. Place it in modules folder and restart camera. Enable it from Movie tab and wait:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23041.msg216899#msg216899

If test please report if working or not. I leave absolutely now guarantees. If card gets corrupted or worse you´ve been warned.
With that said it works for me and for @70MM13 but who knows what random users comes up with here.
Good luck.

70MM13

overclocking is working perfectly here.  on a recent episode i was recording at 3072*1308 14 bit lossless continuously for 30 minutes!

the only caveat for me remains: i have to disable overclocking at startup.  if it remains enabled from the last power cycle, recording fails immediately.  it's just a matter of turning it off in the recording menu at shutdown, *not* disabling the module.

i've occasionally forgotten to turn it off before shutting down, and i got around it by starting up in photo mode, turning off card overclock, and then switching to video mode.  worked fine.

Danne

That should not happen with latest version. Did you test latest? Please upload a screen recording as it will reveal any issues.

70MM13

afaik it's the latest... it's the one you uploaded on the day we discussed this a few weeks ago...

Danne

I need screen recordings. If using a fast card it should be working. It's easy to see if patch is working or not when checking a screen recording. Impossible otherwise.

743v04

I have been using this build with sd_uhs and card spanning running without any issues for a few weeks also. None of this patching issue, works for me with custom presets too. It has been really solid so far but if that changes I will report back. Thanks a ton Danne  :D

70MM13

here's a vid of what happens here:

https://youtu.be/smiZurp1UhE

there's a bit of a mess on the camera display when i do the first reboot with overclocking already on: two messages are displayed simultaneously, one being about patching success, and the other being failure to load some kind of cropmarks.

Danne

What card are you using? Are you using the very latest build as well? Both ml version and sd_uhs version?
File creation error can be related to card spanning feature.
Test also with an auto focus lens. Also test a crop rec preset, not passthrough. Maybe also turning crop rec off. I really need some narrowing down on this.
Also try and wait for patches to be done before pushing other buttons etc.
Before trying suggestions redownload all from the download post and do a clean reinstall.

Bender@arsch

QuoteIf test please report if working or not. I leave absolutely now guarantees. If card gets corrupted or worse you´ve been warned.
With that said it works for me and for @70MM13 but who knows what random users comes up with here.
Good luck.

It works for me too and very well, but with some small issues.
3.5K works continuous at 12bit

I can rec. in UHD 1:1 continuous at 3840 x 1440 (AR 1,67:1) with live view while recording and 3840 x 1536 without live view while recording, all in 10bit. writespeed ~125MB/s.
I tested on different conditions:
In 34 shots i have 3 bugs: 2 clips have no Audio and 1 is totally broken -> MLV App crashes when opened, export with MLVFS give me some crazy colored stars on white background.
I'm not sure, but i think this happens if i shut down the camera to fast after recording.

In 3K 1:1 i have more trouble. After 30sec record time (AR 16:9) comes an error message.
Crashfile:
QuoteML ASSERT:
at mlv_lite.c:2724 (compress_task), task compress_task
lv:1 mode:3

compress_task stack: 1ae938 [1ae9c8-1ad9c8]
0x0006A01C @ b8303c:1ae968
0x00069878 @ 6a084:1ae938

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2020May29.5D3113
Mercurial changeset   : 6b5fa5a301dd (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets) tip
Built on 2020-05-29 13:38:20 UTC by danne@danands-MBP.
Free Memory  : 210K + 2384K

I don't have the issue from 70MM13.

70MM13

i used all the latest versions, and i had no CF card inserted for the test.  sandisk extreme pro 170. the card was freshly formatted and the camera was reset.  the only thing i did was switch to 1920 for a nicer looking preview ;)

i was impatient during the demo just to show the issue.  it happens the same if waiting before recording.

i will try the various conditions suggested...

masc

Quote from: Bender@arsch on June 25, 2020, 11:29:13 AM
... and 1 is totally broken -> MLV App crashes when opened, export with MLVFS give me some crazy colored stars on white background.
is that clip large? Any possibility to upload it for analysis?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202