koopg

I woukd like to add
If you remember in the begging of the week
I told you my card die
It was a cf card
And after  a few tests o wanted to format the card to record my actuall takes
So i format it and %×@@#@ a big explotion happend
No just kidding, no explotion just a died card

Could it be a good tip to not format the card?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

IDA_ML

Quote from: ilia3101 on February 19, 2020, 10:44:28 AM
Getting quite certain it's reliable now.

Ilia3101,

Indeed it is very reliable.  I shot tons of footage with card spanning ON, (SD-overclocking OFF), over the weekend and never had a glitch.  Moreover, it is very user friendly too.  You activate card spanning just once and forget about it.  In the end of the shooting day, you just dump the content of both cards in the same directory and forget about merging too.  MLVApp just does the rest and never complains.  Safe and reliable SD-card overclocking, as in the 100D and EOS-M, is the only thing needed to make card spanning perfect.  If that is not worth it, I don't know what is.

koopg

I would like to try and correct my bad english.

I lost (died) a card (CF KB128GB) this weekend due to a format (usnig canon manu)  when the card was full.
After format the card it became un accessable from any system.

Was testing a scene, recorded few sampales
And for unknown resone I got a massage saying card full
I didnt gave it much thinking and went strait to format it from canon manu.

Maybe formating the card right after recording is a bad move ?
And a shutting off the camer and let is rest before  would lead diffrent results

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

ilia3101

Bug report: when recording uncompressed 12/10 bit, the white level metadata is always set to 16200 (that value is only suitable for 14 bit)

IDA_ML

Good news guys!  This morning I decided to test some spanned card footage with MLVFS to use it with DaVinci Resolve directly.  And it works absolutely fine.  I tested anamorphic 1920x2332 and 3k 1:1 3072x1728 at 24 fps and 10, 12 and 14 bits lossless and Resolve crunches it like cereal for breakfast.  Average export times of the processed video on an i7 laptop with a 4 GB of RAM GPU are 7,5 to 9 fps with Davinci Resolve Lite 16 using the MPEG4 export format at the original resolution.  This card spanning functionality is a real break through for the 5D3!    Thanks so much, everyone involved!

Danne

Quote from: ilia3101 on February 20, 2020, 06:18:48 PM
Bug report: when recording uncompressed 12/10 bit, the white level metadata is always set to 16200 (that value is only suitable for 14 bit)
That is a problem also with official experimental builds?

ilia3101

I don't know. But it's caused by line 3081 in mlv_lite.c - just comment it out and everything is fixed - it makes the wrong assumption that if crop_rec bitdepth is not set, that the image must be 14 bit:

if (!bitdepth) raw_hdr.raw_info.white_level = 16200

https://github.com/ilia3101/mlv_lite_spanning/commit/033c0d4801043b0d2e31ae101854fabbd40616f9

@IDA_ML Great!

Danne

So you record uncompressed 12 or 10 bit plus adding reduced bitdepth in crop rec?

ilia3101

No, just uncompressed 12/10 bit set from mlv_lite.c - without setting bitdepth in crop_rec (set to OFF).

Danne

I see. Will check it. Never used uncompressed since lossless came into the picture.

ilia3101

I never use it either. I was just generating some files to test LibMLV.

Dmytro_ua

Is there any SD vs CF size proportion recommended? For example, if I have 128Gb Lexar CF what size SD card should I buy? I assume there is no any reason to buy 128 SD card?
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

70MM13

you should be fine with a 64gb sd card, but there's nothing wrong with having extra capacity!

the 170mb/s sandisk extreme pro is almost cheap on amazon...  it works beautifully for me!

MAG

I have tried this version : crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Feb01.5D3113

The mlv files can't be open in any software (Photoshop, Ae, MLVFS, MLV to CDNG on the fly). Only MLVproducer were able to do but it gave me a glitch pink image almost like snow black and white tv...

To record I have tried almost every option in the presets...

Do somebody know this problem ? Do I do something wrong ?

Thanks (:

IDA_ML

Quote from: MAG on February 27, 2020, 06:32:33 PM
Do somebody know this problem ? Do I do something wrong ?

No problem at all!  Just try MLVApp.  It opens MLV files from your camera directly. 

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: MAG on February 27, 2020, 06:32:33 PM
I have tried this version : crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Feb01.5D3113

The mlv files can't be open in any software (Photoshop, Ae, MLVFS, MLV to CDNG on the fly). Only MLVproducer

Did you try MLVApp?
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

MAG

Wonderful Thanks a lot MLVapp work so well !

ilia3101

Seems that there is no true 12/10 bit compressed recording? It's all gain based?

I recorded in "12 bit lossless" data format, and white level was at 6000 or something. Not below 4096 like I expected. And black was 2047 just like 14 bit (would be 512 in true 12 bit)

So there is no difference between using crop_rec bitdepth and mlv_lite data fromat lossless options?

Danne

Quote from: ilia3101 on March 05, 2020, 09:51:12 PM
Seems that there is no true 12/10 bit compressed recording? It's all gain based?

I recorded in "12 bit lossless" data format, and white level was at 6000 or something. Not below 4096 like I expected. And black was 2047 just like 14 bit (would be 512 in true 12 bit)

So there is no difference between using crop_rec bitdepth and mlv_lite data fromat lossless options?
Told you already ;)
But what is true 10/12-bit according to you?

Larouso

came over from the EOS M and Dannes builds... love those - but now completely blown away by what the 5D3 is capable with this build! Just awesome.

One thing that I stumbled over today was the following behavior: when switching on the camera or going from still mode in movie mode, while having one of the presets "1920 1:1" or "mv1080p_mv720p" active then at first i just get a black screen. If i half push the shutter button to go in zoom mode, liveview appears and stays... behavior is from then on perfectly normal. Same if hit menu button (ore.g.  also trash button) and come back. It`s not happening if the cam goes in standby, and mirror flips back when waking it up again. I can`t remember having this behavior the days before... Is this a known thing?  Only difference I can think of, of doing today is changing frame-rates in canon menu for 60 fps recording. But of course I went back afterwards to 1920/25/All-I.

Already set back everything and did a completely new installation of ML. I am using "crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Feb19.5D3113"
Thanks for any reply if the fault is on my side - if not, maybe a hint for an open ML issue.

Best, Larouso

Danne

I didn't have time to look into quirks too much changing from movie to photo mode.
As you say. 60 fps could cause some issues as well as waking cam from sleep mode. Hopefully it will be useful with some workaround as I pretty much have no time to dig into the code atm.

ilia3101

Quote from: Danne on March 05, 2020, 09:59:29 PM
Told you already ;)
But what is true 10/12-bit according to you?

Sorry, was going to answer but forgot.

I meant "true 10/12 bit" as in: read from sensor the same way as usual (14 bit), but converted down to 12/10 bit in digital space (bits cut off)

Also "true" 12/10 bit would be within 0-4095 or 0-1023, currently it's 2048-~6000 for 12 bit ;)

It works fine though, compression is improved.

Only problem is how the MLV App stripe algorithm sees it as 14 bit, so it can't find any "highlights" to measure stripes.

Larouso

Quote from: Danne on April 11, 2020, 11:28:32 AM
Hopefully it will be useful with some workaround as I pretty much have no time to dig into the code atm.

yes of course - like mentioned, the workaround is easy and fast - just wanted to mention it... since the build looks besides that pretty damn perfect :)
Happy easter days for all of you!

rinski

Hello, I would like to know if you have to install the ML firmware on the 2 sd and cf cards at the same time, to record with both simultaneously, how the expansion sd works and what limitations this type of recording has on 5d3 in short.
Thank you very much.

ilia3101

Quote from: rinski on April 14, 2020, 10:11:16 AM
Hello, I would like to know if you have to install the ML firmware on the 2 sd and cf cards at the same time, to record with both simultaneously

No, you only need to install it on one of the cards.

Quote from: rinski on April 14, 2020, 10:11:16 AM
how the expansion sd works and what limitations this type of recording has on 5d3 in short.

It works by writing files to both cards at the same time (.MLV on CF card, .M00 on SD card), you must put files from both cards in the same folder before you can process them as videos. No limitations anywhere, only increased speed.