Danne's crop_rec_4k, 5DIII

Started by Danne, November 09, 2018, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbytheriver

@ilia3101 With your newly posted build I get:

Card spanning + SD overclocking = on, I get msg: File Create Error. Stops recording immediately.

SD overclocking = off, Card spanning = on, I get Frame order... issue (Think you have discussed this?) and stops after 8 secs or so.

Upon restart had msg twice: Camera not shutdown properly. Skipping module loading.

Cards: CF Sandisk Extreme Ultra Pro 160mb/s (Been using for 3K fine for a year) + SD Sandisk Extreme 90mb/s. (Also been fine for ML core files).

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

70MM13

speaking of cards, i want to join in the party but i don't have any decent sd cards.  the local retailer here only has this in stock:

SanDisk 64G Extreme SDXC UHS-1 Memory Card - 150MB/s, C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, SD Card - SDSDXV6-064G-CWCIN

opinions?  will it overclock?

my other option is amazon, but then the wait for shipping begins ;)

Danne

Only tested realible sd_uhs patching with sandisk extreme pro 95mb and 170mb card. Most other cards either failed or even slowed down speed performance.

70MM13

adding the "pro" to my stock availability search drops the results to zero :(

ilia3101

@timbytheriver

Hmm, strange. I didn't get to try out sd_uhs with a proper card so I can't tell what's going on. I will upload a build where the sd_uhs module does not auto load, maybe that will improve things for you.

And those "Camera not shutdown properly" happened only with sd_uhs for me.

However I did get much improved record times even without sd_uhs.

@70MM13 still valuable if you try it out without sd overclocking.

70MM13

i'll try it with my ancient sandisk 30mb/s card while i wait for amazon shipping :)

any improvement is a good thing, right? :)

Danne

Quote from: ilia3101 on January 25, 2020, 04:02:42 PM
I will upload a build where the sd_uhs module does not auto load, maybe"

However I did get much improved record times even without sd_uhs.
Patch itself is not autoenabled. Problem is due to card itself. Don't patch and problem goes away. Reluctant to answer some users who neglect to share info in other posts but I don't want Ilia3101 to waste his time.
I get increased recording times when patching. I'd say around 125mb/s.

ilia3101

Oh yeah it doesn't automatically do the patch. And I forgot to post the build, not home now sorry. If you still want to try disabling sd_uhs tim you can just remove it from the card, though it shouldn't be the source of the problem.

Also if you get file creation error it could be because the card was inserted badly (I had that once), but I can't help any further with sd_uhs for now.

@Danne I also hit 124MB/s with sd_uhs and a 45MB card, still need to check if the file can be read, the camera couldn't play it (it was a 3 minute UHD)

Danne

Yeah, good for you the patch works on a 45mb card. I don't think you can reach higher speed with a faster card.
I also had preview issues but file itself works in mlv app.
The file creation error is explained in mlv_lite code. I can recreate it with older sd_uhs patch code. The issue isn't triggered with latest build.
@70mm13
Try patch on your 30mb card. Maybe it works.

70MM13

i'm trying it on a few sd cards i have here, (all slow but a couple are brand new) and no matter what i do i don't get any files to show up on the sd card.  i tried toggling through all of the canon menu card recording options, but it makes no difference.  any suggestions?  obviously i must be missing some crucial and obvious (but not to me) step!

while i await any suggestions i will try another test without a CF card, especially just to try the patching!

Danne

Don´t know what builds you are testing but you need to enable card spanning in RAW video menu.
Patching will only work with my latest code.

70MM13

i'm using the latest one ilia posted, and yes, i did miss the obvious "card spanning" in the raw video menu!  :P

meanwhile here's my sd-only overclock test results:

both new kingston cards (crappy cheap cards only intended to load ML and capture stills) said "card full" even though they were empty, and my ancient sandisk "ultra" 30mb/s worked, although i didn't see any real improvement, only a few extra frames recorded but that's within margin of error...

EDIT: PS: what formatting block size settings are you guys using on the sd cards?

Danne

Yeah, sd_uhs will not work with those builds. Have to wait for new uploads.

Preview issue comes from mlv_play. Could reproduce with longer takes, three chunks:
From mlv_play.c
                    /* no, its another chunk */
                    if(main_header.fileGuid != file_hdr.fileGuid)
                    {
                        bmp_printf(FONT_MED, 30, 190, "Error: GUID within the file chunks mismatch!");
                        beep();
                        msleep(2000);
                        return;
                    }

70MM13

no worries, i'll wait patiently :)

any suggestions for optimal sd card format block size?

ilia3101

Ah I figured out why the fileguid is different, I will fix it this evening.

Update: fixed

Danne

Cool. Works nicely with mlv_play and previewing longer takes is not longer an issue. I included the fix and also excluded frame order text when card spanning is set to on also in this branch:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/branch/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_card_spanning

Danne

Getting some errors around mlv_play. Locks camera:
[104]compress_task: stack overflow: free=0 used=4096

I record 14bit lossless anamorphic mode. Deleting and then previewing the next file got me the above text. card_spanning on but sd overclock is set to OFF.
Seems also happening with 10bit selected. Maybe my sd card is corrupted.

Formatted sd card in camera and all seems working again. I guess sd_uhs related. Hard to say. My sd card have been doing all kinds of tests lately  :P

ilia3101

compress_task does not touch mlv play, it is only for compressing frames while recording. No idea why it would have a problem, I did not touch it's code or do anything that should affect it.

Danne

Probably sd_uhs patch related. Card chokes causing issues. After formatting all works again.

timbytheriver

Have new card now: Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I 64gb (170MB/s read, 90MB/s write)

Compiled latest updates. Card-spanning and SD overclocking working well now:

I can get 1min+ 3600 x 1532 / 24fps / 2.35:1, continuous at 3072p. 1080p 14bit on SD card alone – continuous! :)

Many thanks @ilia3101, @Danne.

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

Stousen

Quote from: timbytheriver on January 26, 2020, 02:25:35 PM
Have new card now: Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I 64gb (170MB/s read, 90MB/s write)

Compiled latest updates. Card-spanning and SD overclocking working well now:

I can get 1min+ 3600 x 1532 / 24fps / 2.35:1, continuous at 3072p. 1080p 14bit on SD card alone – continuous! :)

Many thanks @ilia3101, @Danne.

Wow, great work, need to try this when i get back home. Is the liveview working as normal in this cases?? :o

timbytheriver

@Stousen Yes!

In 1080p = Real Time.
In Crop modes = Framing.
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

70MM13

my new sandisk extreme pro 170 card arrived the other day, and i have put it through its paces...

formatted with 4mb blocks for my first test.

like tim, the sd card alone does 1920x818 continuous!
3072x1308 also continuous!
3620<> x1536 5 minutes (x resolution at maximum for true 2.35:1 - is there a way to push y above 1536?)

all 14 bits lossless, with lots of brightness and motion.

i've been putting off my next music video until i could shoot 3k+ continuous (it's a performance) and now i can do it!  thanks!

timbytheriver

A postscript to @70MM13's post: For Mac users!!

I tried to format a custom 4Mb block size in exFAT using the terminal like this:

sudo newfs_exfat -b 4194304 -v NameThePartition /dev/disk3s3

It appeared to have done so, but I couldn't get it to mount under any circumstances. The card will work in the camera – but you will be unable to mount it to retrieve your files.

The closest I could get to a larger custom block size was 1Mb (1048576) (These numbers have to be powers of 2 apparently.) This will mount, but it caused problems in the camera and I started to get only about 15sec @ 3072p with or without card spanning/sd overclock on or off.

Not sure if it was related but I then kept getting card errors: 'Card1 cannot be accessed' after formatting custom block sizes from the Terminal. Reflashed the Firmware, finally erased formatted to exFAT from disk utility with the default [tiny] block size of 32768 (0.03Mb).

All appears to be ok again now. But bottom line may be that Mac really doesn't play well with exFAT/exFAT custom block sizes. I wish I'd left well alone!  :(

PS If you format the cards in-camera I noticed (both my SD and CF cards being 64Gb) that the SD card gets exFAT, while the CF gets FAT32. Just noting...
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

Stousen

Quote from: timbytheriver on January 26, 2020, 03:16:19 PM
@Stousen Yes!

In 1080p = Real Time.
In Crop modes = Framing.

I managed to get it to work, i get avout 110-115 in w/speed!
Tho my live view doesnt work while recording in crop 3k? :(